Betting and bluffing

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

I play MTT and SNG`s. Due to bad beats I have dropped back to playing $10 - $25 but in games.

I have a solid strategy for betting, calling and checking pre flop but I feel I need more help bluffing in position (I will raise 3 times bb on button with A6s and one of the blinds always has AA or KK). How oftern do u do it, do u bluff with any cards, etc.

I also need to get to grips with betting on the flop. If I hit top pair I will always raise the size of the pot if I`m first to bet. If I`m checked to and I have any pair I will raise size of pot if I`m in late position. Where I struggle is if someone re raises me and I have top pair with say A kicker.

If you guys have any advice or know of some good books or DVD`s I would appreciate the information.

I don`t know if what I have written makes sense, but I need info on betting, calling or raising a re raise and probabilities of people hitting cards.

Cheers guys

Ronaldadio

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing to definitely keep in mind is your table image, and what people might have noted about you. For example,

If I`m checked to and I have any pair I will raise size of pot if I`m in late position.

These are the types of notes I take on people - bets when checked to, pots with TPTK, etc.
It's key to make sure you vary your play so that others don't get a good read on you. If you do this every time, people will eventually check-raise you with TPTK or even worse if they think you're bluffing.

Dorkus wrote a great article on bluffing here which should help a whole lot more than my rambling above.
Harrington on Holdem vol's 1 and 2 are also great - I highly recommend them, especially since you play MTTs almost exclusively.

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTTs and SNGs require very different styles of play. Always have a think about blind speeds and blind levels and number of players left at the table. SNGs obviously require a much more rapid evolution of play.

As Chuck is saying, you should mix it up a bit more. There are many more ways to bluff than just doing it pre-flop from the button or cutoff. Look for weakness, but never overcommit in exploiting it.

I also dont like this routine bet pot business on top pr. Occassionally it is worth letting your opponent dictate the pot odds to you and not the other way round.

Good Luck,

Welly

don8ions

don8ions

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing/semi-bluffing can usually help you pick up a blind here and there on each level and is mostly done by being in position. Being last to act is beneficial if you want to bluff at a pot especially if it is checked around to you. A half pot sized bet is usually enough and callers who checked are usually on draws and are rarely slowplaying. Another half pot bet on the turn usually chases people out, unless it's one to the flush or straight, which means you have to be perceptive and put people on hands based on what the board has to offer. These small pots can be the difference between you being ITM or out on the bubble. When the cards aren't coming, this is a good technique for hanging around. It also emphasizes the point of raising pre-flop with good hands to take command of a hand when the pot is short-handed.

U

ukball26

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When bluffing position is key but you always take a risk that someone has good hand. And hitting cards is what people are always hoping for. You have to be aware of how many chips everyone has because short stacks will usually go all in and all ins seem to always hit the cards they need.

H

HotShotX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think that playing an Ace with anything less than an 8 is suicide, since it is almost guarranteed that anyone else with an Ace will go in, and that they will probably have a higher kicker.

Aside from that, I also made the mistake of trying to bluff someone with a much larger stack than me, it just doesn't work. When it comes to a MTT, get to a paying position first, then feel free to go suicidal occaisionally. Finishing 261st in a 260-paying MTT is very painful and annoying.

~HotShotX

K

kyfranchise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have a hand like A6 and it is preflop i would only bluff at the pot if there were only the blinds and say one more person left to bet. However a lot of times i could fold that hand depending on the situation. In reponse to hit top pair on the flop with an ace kicker and then getting reraised, I would almost have to call everytime because you have to feel that you have the best hand. You have to analyze the situation like if there is a straight/flush draw out there but most of the time i would call you maybe even go over the top all in that way you might scare out the flush draws or something.

Y

ybab113

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i tend to use the DB leaning method..i hope i run into a calling station and when taht happens its over for them...i realy bet almost every time...except for button or i sense that i am really behind...a lot of poekr is sensing

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars