At what level should I start?

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should start with some micro stakes (2NL OR 5NL) plus some Mtts or sngs with the smallest buy ins :)

B

Bayern2015

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to continue to play micro stakes... And start to playing free turnaments for ticket... :)

T

Tgen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep grinding until you are rolled for the next level.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
should i continue to grind it out till i reach the required br or should i be putting more money in and jumping levels ? i currently have $75 in my bankroll.

If you are really frustrated playing micro cash games and want to run it up quicker then it is okay to take shots with 5% of your bankroll instead of 1%, but any more than that and you are probably risking too much of your entire roll.

Other options include buying in shorter stacked at the next level and/or adding more tables at the current level, but it depends what the optimal strategy is for you.

Overall, in terms of long-term goals and determination it is probably better to just stick to what you are absolutely comfortable with and originally intended to do.

I don't say this because of the money or variance, it is mainly just because you are less likely to self-sabotage yourself at higher levels if you don't cut any corners with yourself at the lower levels.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
20 buy ins at the new level is the standard minimum for professional play, but penny poker is not professional stakes. If you have beat your current level for 10 or 15 buy ins and want to stab at the next level - go for it. Just be ready to drop back down if you lose a couple buy ins. When you reach a point where losing a buy in hurts, you need to drop down a level and start using good bank roll management.

MilosNCAA

MilosNCAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm...maybe you can try on 0.02/0.05 blinds...But do not try to get rich in a day...and don't jump so high in blinds...that's wrong way... :)

solargarlic

solargarlic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest other things as well

I would try to incorporate some MTTs and Sit and Gos to pad your bank roll. You can grind it out at those low levels on cash tables until you feel comfortable moving up while doing so making more money. Just a thought. Keep Grinding!

C

carsguitars777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what I would do kiwi is if you are consistant at your level, but want to make more money faster, consider maybe trying multitable, you can play more games but not move out of your bankroll and then you will grow your money faster but not put yourself at a high risk... If you are used to playing only one game at once it might not be easy to make the switch and it is not for everyone but I find it a good way to get more money faster at the stakes you are comfortable with while not suffering the veriance of moving up to the next stakes. when you get your bankroll up to a nice level then you can try some games at the next stakes and see how you do, if your a fit then move on up, if you have some problems than you can stay where you are and study, learn and practice and try again.

but what I dont want to say kiwi, is tell you not to go on to bigger things if your bankrolls allows, if you can lose some of the money you have made and its easily replaced and you can keep playing then I suggest trying out a higher stakes... its all about the losses you can suffer and still be ok and refund yourself to keep playing, if you have the means to move up and suffer some veriance then deffintly try, you can always move back down if you have a problem, I just hate to see players lose their bankroll trying to go up and get discouraged.

Last edited:
ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some people go with less than two percent of bankroll for any buy in. I feel like 5% is doable.

L

LornaMurray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, You should continue to grind until you reach the roll for the next level.

B

blazeitfaggot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
come play 50nl and give me your money

P

PokerPedia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people go with less than two percent of bankroll for any buy in. I feel like 5% is doable.

Yeah, I go with 5% as well, wit the understanding that if I get below 20BI for a level I move down in stakes.

P

PokerPedia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I talk about this and other poker-related stuff on my YouTube channel, which I made to do a Grinding It Up series of my own on. I kind of thought everyone could watch it and discuss the things I've said, and we could all learn something from it. My regular stakes are 100NL, but I decided to spend some time each day doing this challenge, and have currently got past 2NL, and am about halfway through 5NL about 2 weeks into my challenge. Check it out, and enjoy! Let me know what you think! :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjoG9YrQoSxmzeUbyHzeU3A/feed

Chris

K

kozikpro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
grind this all the time when u feel better go up thats all and dont remember about brm

S

snowsifter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My rule of thumb is to make sure i have at least 4 to 5 buy ins at the max allowed at that table

S

snowsifter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: My rule of thumb is to make sure i have at least 4 to 5 buy ins at the max allowed at that table

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play your current game and study up at the same time, when you are winning over big sample and have 50bi for next level then take a go at it.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would think a big part of the answer night be related to just how convenient is it to keep shoving money at a site.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$75 is too small amount to pass to the limit above,NL2 continue,P.S good luck

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However! If you can afford to deposit enough to feel comfortable at any new level, go ahead. Common BRM suggests you want 100 buy-ins (full buy-ins) for your comfort level to be valid. This is the standard recommendation for folks who never want to deposit again, playing totally off their winnings.

If depositing is no problem, AND you are wealthy, then by all means, learn the game at the level you want to eventually play at. Be prepared to lose at every new level. Most experienced players will tell you that the micro's may be the tuffest level to learn. Largely because there are lots and lots of players with such a wide variety of experience. From very experienced folks working on some tweak to their game to total neophytes who still are not sure if a str8 beats a flush.

Yeah I've played cash games from .02, .04, .10, 100 NL. I felt .04 & .10 NL felt very similar. Then again it was mainly the same players on both levels.

The thing I hate about low level cash game tables is that their play is so unorthodox. I don't know WTF they are doing. I had someone last night call my big 3 bet OOP with 74s. How the hell was I supposed to know 74s was in this guy's flat 3 call OOP range? Obviously I took note of it, but by the time I got blind sided by his hidden straight he left the table so I couldn't exploit.

Repeat x100 with different random micro players.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He made some valid points. 100 BI afford a nice comfort level. Playing 5% of your BR per table could bust you in one night of multitabling. The rest of his post made sense too. Yours was like trying to read a newspaper after a dog chewed it up.

Actually he made some incorrect statements/assumptions.

100 BI for cash game? So you'd suggest $1,000 bankroll to play 10nl? Sounds crazy to me (& without a doubt I am definitely on the conservative side when it comes to BRM).

5% (20buyins) could bust your bankroll in one night of multi-tabling
What difference does it make re: how many tables I'm playing on? Also, perhaps I needed to expand on the suggested 20bi's... obviously we're going to move down a level before we go busto.
Last week I dropped 18 buyins on one of the sites I play on so I am familiar with variance & how it is possible to lose a bunch of buyins (incidentally 'while multi-tabling' .. if it makes any difference??).

I think I know what I'm talking about but am open to suggestions. I'm not really a cashgame player... more of a tourney player. But I have put in a bit of time on the cash tables to understand BRM. I've played close to 70,000 hands on cash tables.... last month.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too am primarily a tourney guy. But my favorite game these days is Zoom at stars, and because I am in the US that means play money.

But I have reasonable cash accounts at both the bigger WPN sites, and the only reason I don't play there so often is they don't provide games that intrigue me. If they got a fast poker game going I would likely play those lowest level games at WPN.

That said, I play both my real money accounts and my play money accounts the same. That means I respect the effort it took to get me to a decent PM (play money) BR at Stars, as much as I appreciate the effort it too to get those RM (real money) on other sites.

So at Stars, where I am currently over 600K in play chips, I play 100/200 Zoom. That is a 20K full BI. 2 tabling (max I can play), that is well short of that mythical 100 BI (2Million). I am in that 30 BI range, and I have some discomfort. I am not sure how that affects my game, or even if it affects my game. Because I have session stop limits, 1 BI per table, I have not had any horrible days.

Again, I, like many folks around here, know that when I want the enjoyment of playing poker, I can get that at the play money table. Don't take this as an endorsement of PM poker, I have done that often, and will never dis PM poker, but I didn't get the feeling the OP was about either enjoying OLP, or getting rich quick. He asked a specific question, and as usual, his specific question needed a general answer. I offered one.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post. And it's a big decision. I deposited $50 on FF, and that's where I started at. And that was the only site I had money on. But I stayed there until I got to $100 before going to next level

ucntcme

ucntcme

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise you to stay at the stakes you are profiting from. Poker is not a race, but a marathon. Consistent play day in and day out will always be the winning strategy. Do not let the fact that you are doing well in micro, make you think jumping to 5/10 15/30 is the best move. Continue doing what you are, and playing consistent throughout. You will know when its time for you move on to higher stakes. Enjoy! and GL

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes my brain hurts playing on 2 / 4 NL even 10 NL. Some of the dumbest plays you will see will just drive you mad.

When I was playing on 25 & 100 NL I saw some more aggressive plays. One guy 3 betting another guy from BB heads up with Q10o to try and steal the pot.