At what level should I start?

Mark Gavr

Mark Gavr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your bankroll is large and will play sit and goes, then do not waste time on small stakes, but it's good if you chuvsivuesh his hand

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say play whatever game you are interested in if your bankroll can handle it. I honestly can't hardly stand playing anything under 10NL. I can get bored playing that sometimes. I prefer 25NL-100NL. I also don't like multi tabling so the small pots in the little games just don't hold my attention. But, I can play any tournament and keep my attention focused.

B

Bazslazs93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Pck, stay at that level, and keep up, play tournament, try to catch a high pool and wait to reach next level ;) gl

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say play whatever game you are interested in if your bankroll can handle it. I honestly can't hardly stand playing anything under 10NL. I can get bored playing that sometimes. I prefer 25NL-100NL. I also don't like multi tabling so the small pots in the little games just don't hold my attention. But, I can play any tournament and keep my attention focused.

Yeah the micro stakes level gives me a headache. I don't know what's worst the thought process of some of these players or the high rake.

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice dude, 75$! keep it up!:pepsi:

E

eyeluvpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loose play at low stakes

Not sure what you all find but I am seeing so much loose play when I play low stakes cash games. It is so easy for someone to call with their gut shot draw or bottom pair for 5 or 10 cents. So in my opinion you can expect a lot more bad beats at low stakes. I usually play pretty tight at low stakes and wait for the right hand to make my move.

iiHunt

iiHunt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remember it's called a "Grind" for a reason. If you are trying to jump stakes in a hurry you will most likely burry yourself first. If anything pick up some small SnGs or MTTs to help build your BR faster if your good at them. Stay in your comfort zone! Good Luck

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Get to 100 or better yet 120 br then try one lvl higher, i would suggest 120 if things dont go the way you thought u have a buffer zone of 20 bucks to experiment with in the higher lvl, the important thing here to learn is what i have learned the harder way, if u ran in to a dry patch and u start losing, instead of going up a lvl go down in lvl, trust me its the best thing to do.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP, is long gone. But the question will always be valid.

If you are a cheapo bastard, like many of us, then BRM will guard you from doom.

If however, you have no problem depositing regularly, then get to it boy! Jump stakes, put some spice in your life!

billbaffles

billbaffles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I practice the 100 buy-in or more tactic as well. It allows me to not worry about somehow busting out and to play cards without being scared. I also read the micro's may not be the easiest place and I somewhat agree as I usually play the lowest stakes but it is all player dependent. I think there are extremely competitive players that play for the enjoyment of the game and are not really out to turn a huge profit because there are some regulars at the lowest stakes that are tough. Having said that, there are also some players that call all in on the river with nothing a high percentage of the time, its unbelievable. They do not play higher stakes but anytime that player is at the table its like free money. I think there are easy players at .10/.25 as well it but it all is really opponent dependent.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I've been playing 0.01/0.02c for the past month and and making a reasonable amount from it but i feel as though to get to the required bankroll to play the next level will take a lot longer and the time i spend playing this lowest stake i will be losing that extra potential money i could be earning ? should i continue to grind it out till i reach the required br or should i be putting more money in and jumping levels ? i currently have $75 in my bankroll.

*) What's your plan? If it was your intention to start with 2nl and grind your way up, then do that. Don't deviate from the plan otherwise ruin awaits. Yeah, it sucks and you feel like you're not learning anything beating the same old fish who don't care if they win or lose because it's just a couple of bucks. There are always lessons to learn, but only if you stay sharp and keep observing. It's especially important to pay attention to your own leaks, see where you're costing yourself money, and fix them while the lessons are still cheap.

10nl is still just nickles and dimes, and most of these players are no better than those at 2nl, but you will begin encountering thinking players at that level and higher. You need to be ready for them.

*) How much can you afford to lose? If you can take a loss, deposit more and play whatever level you feel comfortable playing.

*) How long have you been playing? How good are you? One month doesn't mean anything. Last month sucked, and I dropped 10BI's on suck-outs after getting stacks in good to situations like CRAI on the flop with black aces, getting called by red jacks, and runner, runner hearts gives the fish a flush. GII in with pocket threes pre against (J,7-o) lead the whole way until the river brings a seven. Shit like that. For a month. You can tun good for a whole month too, and kid yourself into believing you're really, really good when you're just a beginner who's just slightly less fishy than the rest of the fish. First prove you can beat 2nl consistently before you play higher. That takes more than one good month.

Also, how will you react to a bad month? Do you control your tilt, or do you let a few beats turn you into a spew monkey? How will you know until it happens? Best that it happens at 2nl than 10nl: those nickles and dimes add up to dollars pretty damn quick.

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when your bankroll will be $100 you can try NL5 mss

bellybuster7

bellybuster7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise your level of play and your bankroll, and go to other limits

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are extremely competitive players that play for the enjoyment of the game and are not really out to turn a huge profit because there are some regulars at the lowest stakes that are tough.

I am one of those that enjoy the game and know that I can find good competition even in higher buy-in play money games.

Curiously, I also play online backgammon. Play money backgammon. There are several buy-in levels, and for a while I tried to accumulate some large play money bankroll. I gave up on that after I realized I couldn't spend play money and just focused on the game.

The odd thing is that while the level I play is the lowest, and a lot of players have 100-1000 chip BR's, every now and then some guy shows up with 800,000 chips. They seldom are better than the players with 1000 chips. They were probably there from the inception of the site, long ago.

They are looking for the distraction that that game provides.

Same thing with a lot of poker players. I like to think I am a good example of that. I have won big, I have won little. Big doesn't freak me out, there is no fear of success. I refuse to lose big! I use some undefined version of BRM cuz I'm a cheap bastard.;)

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grinding is the way to go. Remember, your goal is not only to increase your bankroll, but to learn the best way to play certain situations as well. Being a stronger player can only pay-off more as you move up! :) Gl!

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grinding is the way to go. Remember, your goal is not only to increase your bankroll before you move up, but also to increase your skill level. As you play higher stakes, you will (generally) run into stronger players. Building up a solid game in the lower stakes will only help in the long run. GL!