Ask Gripsed Anything About Cash Games

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
was that a cash game or a tournament? If it's cash that spot is oooooh so close lol

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Evan, been watching your final wsop cards up game commentaries. You do an excellent job explaining the positions and reasoning behind the plays - well worth watching.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6-max vs 9 max

I had started my own post about this, but I wanted to ask this here because I value and respect your opinion and wanted your input...

They say that 9-max is a lower variance game than 6-max cash. I am not sure why but I personally experience far more variance at 9-max. Perhaps I have a bit of a looser playing style that goes better with 6-max ranges. Also, I feel like I am a player that relies on my opponents reads and I feel like they are easier to pay attention to with 5 other opponents compared to vs 8 others. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is this some kind of flawed logic? What are your opinions?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had started my own post about this, but I wanted to ask this here because I value and respect your opinion and wanted your input...

They say that 9-max is a lower variance game than 6-max cash. I am not sure why but I personally experience far more variance at 9-max. Perhaps I have a bit of a looser playing style that goes better with 6-max ranges. Also, I feel like I am a player that relies on my opponents reads and I feel like they are easier to pay attention to with 5 other opponents compared to vs 8 others. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is this some kind of flawed logic? What are your opinions?

This is a great question Andy, thank you for asking

The reason that 9 max is considered lower variance is because in those first 3 seats (early position) you get to play tighter ranges and thus experience less volatility/variance than you typically would in 6 max.

In 6 max (and even more extremely in 4 max and heads up) where we are basically forced to play wider ranges there will be more variance. The equities of the ranges will be closer preflop and thus we will see bigger swings postflop or who makes the best hand and what not.

Also because playing wider ranges typically leads to making more bluffs and needing to make more hero calls we will experience more variance by playing bigger pots with typically weaker hands per say.

We have to defend the blinds with wider ranges vs looser opens (which happens more in shorthanded games) which leads to bigger swings. Also we will be in late position more often and thus we will be opening wider ranges. AND we will be in the blinds more frequently which is a pretty high variance seat.

All that being said... if you are playing looser ranges than you should in 9max or you are playing in super loose live games where yo see 4-5-6 players taking each flop that will be a lot of variance as well compared to games where most pots are heads up or 3 handed.

So it also kind of depends on how we define variance and volatility. But the reasons most people 'say' that 6max is higher variance than 9max is for the reasons mentioned above.

Hope that helps! And hope you keep yourself out of trouble by not playing looser than you should be in those full ring games!!!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing I wanted to add though, if you are game selecting well 6-max will be much more lucrative (profitable) than 9-max

This is because if you get 1 fun player on a shorthanded table you only have to 'share' their money with 4 other regs, whereas on a full ring you have to share than money with 7 other regs

and if it's 2 fun players the fish to reg ratio is even better.

I would rather be on a shorthanded table with 2 fun players than on a full ring table with 3 fun players, and it's more common you'll be able to find this in the short handed games.

That's just one of the many reasons that most cash game pros prefer to play shorhanded tables over full ring tables :)

S

Spankinboy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a great question Andy, thank you for asking

The reason that 9 max is considered lower variance is because in those first 3 seats (early position) you get to play tighter ranges and thus experience less volatility/variance than you typically would in 6 max.

In 6 max (and even more extremely in 4 max and heads up) where we are basically forced to play wider ranges there will be more variance. The equities of the ranges will be closer preflop and thus we will see bigger swings postflop or who makes the best hand and what not.

Also because playing wider ranges typically leads to making more bluffs and needing to make more hero calls we will experience more variance by playing bigger pots with typically weaker hands per say.

We have to defend the blinds with wider ranges vs looser opens (which happens more in shorthanded games) which leads to bigger swings. Also we will be in late position more often and thus we will be opening wider ranges. AND we will be in the blinds more frequently which is a pretty high variance seat.

All that being said... if you are playing looser ranges than you should in 9max or you are playing in super loose live games where yo see 4-5-6 players taking each flop that will be a lot of variance as well compared to games where most pots are heads up or 3 handed.

So it also kind of depends on how we define variance and volatility. But the reasons most people 'say' that 6max is higher variance than 9max is for the reasons mentioned above.

Hope that helps! And hope you keep yourself out of trouble by not playing looser than you should be in those full ring games!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVQGobSCQY

In relation to variance, only one thing you for get to mentioned or touched. In 9max game vs 6max games a lot more cards are removed from the deck just by the shared amount of players of at the table.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In money games, you can make deposits in different currencies, that is, dollars and euros, or is it that you would have to deposit only in a single currency and if so, is the currency or exchange conversion done?

X

Xijzdix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
river sizing/bluff vs value ratio

When you get to the river in a 3 bet pot and you are figuring out how many bluff combo's you can have versus value how exactly do you calculate this?

Would say that if you bet say 1/2 pot on the rver, you betting say 5 to win 10. if u bluffing half the time and get called and loose nd the other half of the time you get called and win you will break even.

Obviously there are other scenario's like you bluff but get herocalled by worse, or you bet for value and get raised. or get called by better.

Also x percentage of you bluffs will get through

Like what should I aim for. If for example I think villain will have to fold half of his range to this 1/2 pot bet. how do I approach this.

Will I start changing the betsizing and target him that way or will I start bluffing more, if I expect him to call with 50 percent of his range that is quite an interesting proposition.

But knowing that he will have to call half the time vs halfpot. Should I maybe not start betting a smaller size to gain the same result possibly and go 40 percent see how elastic or unelastic villain is.

Or start using a bigger betsize, get more folds and thus also getting to get a higher bluffratio. or never bluff and get called 80 percent of the time vs 30 percent.

How to quickly determine, what string to pull in order to exploit

Grtz

Mizzter_x in chat

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you win a lot of money by playing cash game ? In this game is that must be required high skills ? This game is possibly winning much money but that is a short term , The risk is also innevitable , but winning is also big .

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
teach me how to play cache as well as yourself

Hey mate,

Start with this playlist http://gripsed.com/win

If you'd like to dive deeper after that I have a 30 day training program you can pick up for free http://gripsed.com/pgms

I'm also making videos at pokercoaching reviewing all my cash game hands in quiz format.
It's a small investment but well worth it and is a fast path to learning how to play cash like me.

Here is a link to save 50% on your first month as well --> https://pokercoaching.com/coupons/freecoaching/ref/gripsed

Hope that helps mate, see you behind the big stacks soon!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you win a lot of money by playing cash game ? In this game is that must be required high skills ? This game is possibly winning much money but that is a short term , The risk is also innevitable , but winning is also big .

I invested the first 6 years of my career playing cash games almost exclusively.
I believe it is a much better way to make money playing poker and develop your skillset.

There is so much more you can control in cash games. Less of a luck factor.
And you can really build out a strong hourly rate and almost treat it like a normal job in terms of expectation.

Cash games teach you to play deep stacked and to be comfortable getting all in at a decent frequency (which is important for mtts as well). It teaches you to be a well rounded player.

Once you sharpen your skills in cash then you will have a big advantage over tournament players who lack the foundation that comes with cash games.

I cannot recommend playing cash games highly enough, when I moved from tournaments to cash games was when I really become a professional and started making real money playing poker. And yes, it's harder to learn, but that's what makes it pay off in the long run!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you get to the river in a 3 bet pot and you are figuring out how many bluff combo's you can have versus value how exactly do you calculate this?

Would say that if you bet say 1/2 pot on the rver, you betting say 5 to win 10. if u bluffing half the time and get called and loose nd the other half of the time you get called and win you will break even.

Obviously there are other scenario's like you bluff but get herocalled by worse, or you bet for value and get raised. or get called by better.

Also x percentage of you bluffs will get through

Like what should I aim for. If for example I think villain will have to fold half of his range to this 1/2 pot bet. how do I approach this.

Will I start changing the betsizing and target him that way or will I start bluffing more, if I expect him to call with 50 percent of his range that is quite an interesting proposition.

But knowing that he will have to call half the time vs halfpot. Should I maybe not start betting a smaller size to gain the same result possibly and go 40 percent see how elastic or unelastic villain is.

Or start using a bigger betsize, get more folds and thus also getting to get a higher bluffratio. or never bluff and get called 80 percent of the time vs 30 percent.

How to quickly determine, what string to pull in order to exploit

Grtz

Mizzter_x in chat

Hi,

if I'm being completely honest I don't think about having a perfectly balanced range on the river, I don't count out the combos and try to make it perfect. In theory this sounds super useful and cool but in practice it's really hard to do.

I just ask myself 'do I want a call here or a fold here' based on my hand

and then i ask 'what sizing will accomplish this goal'

and then I go with that sizing and hope it works out.

Most of your opponents will not be thinking about the frequency they need to be calling at to be making a profit based on the size you bet. They will not be thinking about defending x % of their range.

They will be thinking whether or not their specific hand can justify calling the price, and the cheaper you make it the more often they will call.

I try to keep it simple in that regard and just go with my intuition.

Don't get too caught up in the combos, focus on hand reading and trying to pick a size that will get them to choose the action you want (call or fold). Once you have a profile of the opponent, whether they like to hero call or hero fold (which their stats will help you with, loose guys usually like to call down and nits usually like to fold) and take it from there.

The more you practice the easier it will be! :joyman:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In money games, you can make deposits in different currencies, that is, dollars and euros, or is it that you would have to deposit only in a single currency and if so, is the currency or exchange conversion done?

Usually you will pay an FX fee yes

So it's best to set your account in either the currency you will play for or the currency you will cash out to.

I set up a USD bank (even though i'm in canada) so that I can avoid the FX fee but only playing, depositing, and withdrawing in USD.

If yo are planning on playing seriously then I recommend this. If you are just playing now and then for fun though then it's not a big deal to be paying some small FX fees.

If you are playing good poker games anyway yo will easily make back those fees anyway ;)

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I wanted to add though, if you are game selecting well 6-max will be much more lucrative (profitable) than 9-max

This is because if you get 1 fun player on a shorthanded table you only have to 'share' their money with 4 other regs, whereas on a full ring you have to share than money with 7 other regs

and if it's 2 fun players the fish to reg ratio is even better.

I would rather be on a shorthanded table with 2 fun players than on a full ring table with 3 fun players, and it's more common you'll be able to find this in the short handed games.

That's just one of the many reasons that most cash game pros prefer to play shorhanded tables over full ring tables :)

Thanks for your reply Evan, that is very helpful information.

H

hiker5878

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Which Micro Stake to play? Frustrated.

Hey All!

I have been playing Poker for 15 years and invested the first 8 years of my career playing cash games. I have always felt this is the 'best' form of poker for anyone who wants to make consistent money or is considering going pro/part time as a poker player. In 2011 I was extremely fortunate to meet and room with Greg Merson for 12 months and he greatly reinforced the importance of focusing on Cash Game poker over Tournament Poker.

There are just so many more factors in cash games over which you have control that you have to give up in tournaments. In my eyes when it comes to cash games YOU are the boss, whereas when playing tournaments THE HOUSE is the boss, and you're on their schedule. And as a poker player, a huge reason you play is to be your own boss right?

In addition to playing millions of hands of poker, I've also studied dozens of poker books and gone thru all the high end training programs online from $49-999 and have a lot to share. I'm happy to point you in the right direction if you're looking for study material.

Please post any questions you have about cash games here (other than specific hands, those goes here where I will also be active) and I will respond to all of them to the best of my abilities : )

Looking forward to helping you increase your confidence in the realm of cash game poker. And I'm excited to seeing your increased profits as a result of knowing what you need to know! Teaching is a huge passion of mine, and I believe it's the best way to learn, so let's work together to become the best poker players we can be!!!

Good morning Mr. Gripsed!

I am a big fan of your video's and have been watching you and a couple others for the past year. Only been playing for around 2 years, but have invested a lot of time in trying to educate myself to move up in stakes. No, I can't say I have beat ANY stakes yet but have a question for you just the same.

Play mostly .05/10 6 max on Betonline. I try and play below 20% of hands dealt, play straight up, nothing fancy, just ABC poker but how do I defend against players that call absolutely everything you bet at?

I really don't want to jump up to .25 or .50 because I don't think I am ready but my win rate is so much better at these higher stakes??!! Plus when I do play for several hours I sometime walk away with a couple hundred dollar profit, unlike the smaller micro's? Players seem to play more straight up if that makes sense at these higher micros.

Is there any good logic in this do you think?? Thanks, Kevin

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning Mr. Gripsed!

I am a big fan of your video's and have been watching you and a couple others for the past year. Only been playing for around 2 years, but have invested a lot of time in trying to educate myself to move up in stakes. No, I can't say I have beat ANY stakes yet but have a question for you just the same.

Play mostly .05/10 6 max on Betonline. I try and play below 20% of hands dealt, play straight up, nothing fancy, just ABC poker but how do I defend against players that call absolutely everything you bet at?

I really don't want to jump up to .25 or .50 because I don't think I am ready but my win rate is so much better at these higher stakes??!! Plus when I do play for several hours I sometime walk away with a couple hundred dollar profit, unlike the smaller micro's? Players seem to play more straight up if that makes sense at these higher micros.

Is there any good logic in this do you think?? Thanks, Kevin

If you are achieving a higher win rate at the higher levels... then you should probably just play at the higher levels. (within reason of course)

There is no need to 'beat all the levels' as some players seem to think there is.

When i moved to cash from SNG I started at 0.5/1NL. I had some experience at .25/.50nl as well, but other than for bankroll challenges I never played below that.

Why?

Couple of reasons, the first is that I wasn't stimulated playing the smallest levels, I felt bored and somewhat disengaged and therefore was wasting my time somewhat.

Another reason was that the rake is biggest in the smallest stakes and that makes it harder to be succesful at them, all other things being equal.

There's something to be said about playing at levels where people value the money (even somewhat) because you can play more effective straight up poker as you said, you can bluff more effectively, hand read more easily, and just assess the situations more.

Now... all that being said... when it comes to microstakes where people play too loose

The adjustment is.... TO BET BIGGER

If they are going to play too many hands preflop, charge them 8x 12x 20x the big blind to see a flop.

If they are going to call with draws for the wrong price POT BET, 1.5x POT, OVERBET SHOVE, bet the amounts that push them the most for making these speculative plays.

There is no need for you to play a bunch more hands. You can stick with the fundamentals you are following: position, aggression, selection, TRIPLE THREAT BABY

Just amp it up with the sizing to increase the magnitude of their mistakes. And against many players who wont fold... well.. just never bluff, and be patient.

Here are a couple of videos on a similar topic that will help (a lot of this stuff will carry over to the micro and small stakes online games.

Good luck and Happy stackin my friend!

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How long did it take you to become a competent player who won more than you lost?

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I started playing cash, specifically NL5, I have been building my bankroll and it is time to grow, undoubtedly there is a lot of money in this modality, and it is very dynamic, I will continue playing the freerolls and the occasional tournament (buy-in).

The situation in Venezuela with the electricity and internet drops also influences my decision, sometimes I am in a tournament for 3 hours and a power outage arrives without prior notice, if I have paid buy in I am totally frustrated. In cash I will only lose the bet I have in the pot.

I am reading a lot to adapt to this change.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How long did it take you to become a competent player who won more than you lost?

Hi Livy!

It took me about 6 months to become a competent player

I was able to achieve this rather quickly because of a few things
1) I have a background in strategy games and cards, so my mind naturally works in this way
2) I read books and went thru structured videos so that I built my game the right way
3) I was very strict with my game selection and bankroll management (after losing 2 deposits) so I made sure I was always playing in games that I could comfortably beat

There is no way I could have been winning in tough games and big limits that quickly, but by taking this approach I was able to win steadily, build confidence in my abilities, and slowly but steadily continue to develop to become a better and better player

If you'd like some foundational material to start with this is a great playlist http://gripsed.com/win

and the 30 day course in the learning poker section from cardschat is really great as well!

Patience, focusing on understanding the game, and taking your time, not being in a rush, and thus not getting too caught up in the 'gambling' side of things are keys to the process

Hope that helps!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I started playing cash, specifically NL5, I have been building my bankroll and it is time to grow, undoubtedly there is a lot of money in this modality, and it is very dynamic, I will continue playing the freerolls and the occasional tournament (buy-in).

The situation in Venezuela with the electricity and internet drops also influences my decision, sometimes I am in a tournament for 3 hours and a power outage arrives without prior notice, if I have paid buy in I am totally frustrated. In cash I will only lose the bet I have in the pot.

I am reading a lot to adapt to this change.

Hey Carmenzu,

I can understand this challenge. I know very much the importance of having strong internet. So much so that when we were playing MTTs we had 2 internet connections to the hose and paid 2 internet bills just so we had a backup.

If the internet drops constantly though and can be out for extended periods then focusing on cash games makes more sense. The risk of not being able to get back into a game when you are making a deep run and the value of your stack is so much I think is too great a risk.

You can make a lot of money playing cash games as you said and you'll never have a devastating disconnect like this which would be very costly.

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, thank you for sharing!! Do you think I need a HUD to be successful online?

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like the gripsed tournaments that take place in the American card room but as I don't play a lot of cash games I have no doubts.
:p

T

Testy_Calls

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey All!

I have been playing Poker for 15 years and invested the first 8 years of my career playing cash games. I have always felt this is the 'best' form of poker for anyone who wants to make consistent money or is considering going pro/part time as a poker player. In 2011 I was extremely fortunate to meet and room with Greg Merson for 12 months and he greatly reinforced the importance of focusing on Cash Game poker over Tournament Poker.

There are just so many more factors in cash games over which you have control that you have to give up in tournaments. In my eyes when it comes to cash games YOU are the boss, whereas when playing tournaments THE HOUSE is the boss, and you're on their schedule. And as a poker player, a huge reason you play is to be your own boss right?

In addition to playing millions of hands of poker, I've also studied dozens of poker books and gone thru all the high end training programs online from $49-999 and have a lot to share. I'm happy to point you in the right direction if you're looking for study material.

Please post any questions you have about cash games here (other than specific hands, those goes here where I will also be active) and I will respond to all of them to the best of my abilities : )

Looking forward to helping you increase your confidence in the realm of cash game poker. And I'm excited to seeing your increased profits as a result of knowing what you need to know! Teaching is a huge passion of mine, and I believe it's the best way to learn, so let's work together to become the best poker players we can be!!!

Hi Evan, I've got a question about heads up. I have been playing 9/6 max for a number of years and have just decided to move over to heads up. I did play some before when I was part of a training site (which I won't name) but their policy in the early days was basically to bumhunt until you were more competent. It was a successful strategy for what it was but I want to get good. Do you think it makes sense to play the "decent" regs at micro stakes 0.01/0.02, 0.02/0.05 which sacrifices winning money but should improve ability or do you think the bumhunt approach makes more sense?

Also do you have much experience with heads up? If so, how do you compare a decent micro stakes reg to the general player pool in pokerstars' 0.25/0.50 zoom heads up. To be a reg in that game is basically my target for now.

Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos Top 10 Games