***2012 PLO Thread***

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never played PLO seriously, what level you you rekon i should start at Marg ?

Need to get good at it, all the good games around here are at plo, and by the looks of it the chance's of me playing professionally next year are high, and nlhe is just about dead everywhere.

SH or FR ?
HEM upgrade worth it ?
How many tables ?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if you are going to play, it would most likely be short handed seeing as fr does not really run. How many tables you play depends on your current amount at holdem but I stick to small amounts like 4 to 6.

I also believe that if you are going to play it You need to commit and up grade hem. Also when you start to play, I wouldn't mind reviewing hands/ sessions of yours.

Let me know how it goes and I'll try to help

M

MaxiRodriguez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been playing pretty much exclusively PLO for a while now but still, my total PLO experience stands at a lowly 63k hands. Which I think is largely the reason I still feel uncomfortable often in situations in PLO.

This is exacerbated by the fact I'm rarely exclusively playing poker, there's always some occasional, distractions really not good in a game where I far from at the level where I can afford to play on autopilot.

For 2012 I want all this stuff to change, due to uni being so tough atm I'm not really fussed on volume something like 10k a month would be good. I'd like to focus more on just playing well, for the same reason I don't have any real profit goals. What tilts me most is the feeling that I donked myself off, I can take the fish hitting there ridiculous draw on the river but that feeling that i just threw away my money breaks me. I want to stop this. I want to play regularly, I do have the time I just have to make it.

Also there are lots of good places to play live locally and the games are so teeming with fish. I'd like to play live at least once a month.

tl;dr - good idea marg i wanna post in this thread, subbed.

M

MaxiRodriguez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iPoker - $0.20 PL Hi - Omaha - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

Hero (SB): $24.69
BB: $15.74
UTG: $21.42
CO: $19.10
BTN: $30.34

Hero posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.20

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero has 6:heart: 8:club: 8:spade: 6:diamond:

UTG calls $0.20, CO raises to $0.90, BTN calls $0.90, Hero calls $0.80, fold, fold

Flop: ($3.10, 3 players) 5:heart: 4:spade: 8:heart:
Hero ???

CO is 67/20 btn is 30/20/10 what do?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold pre. OTB for cheap it's fine but when you're out of position vs. someone pretty loose I don't really want a pair in my hand, let alone two of them, let alone 2 small pairs.

My default strategy is to play something like 10% from the SB and 80% from the BTN but it depends on the table really. Position is probably 3X more important in PLO than hold'em, and it's pretty damn important in hold'em.

As played probably check/jam.

Last edited:
jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a video I was watching the bloke said "for numerous reasons we should be checking back all our showdown value hands and betting when we miss and when we have good (value) hands".
What constitutes a SDV hand in Omaha?

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Pot-Limit Omaha, €0.05 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (€2.21)
MP (€6.15)
Hero (Button) (€5)
SB (€14.41)
BB (€7.29)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A
club.gif
, 10
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif
, 3
diamond.gif

2 folds, Hero bets €0.17, 1 fold, BB calls €0.12

Flop: (€0.36) Q
spade.gif
, Q
club.gif
, 9
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (€0.36) 6
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets €0.30, BB calls €0.30

River: (€0.96) J
heart.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets €0.55, BB calls €0.55

Total pot: €2.06 | Rake: €0.10

I checked back flop because I figured I had good equity but couldn't stand a c/r. Should I bet this flop and what's your line if villain c/r's?

Last edited:
jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also this river is a fold, right?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, €0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (€7.40)
MP (€5)
CO (€2)
Hero (Button) (€5.87)
SB (€3)
BB (€5.76)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7
club.gif
, 5
heart.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
, 6
club.gif

3 folds, Hero bets €0.17, SB calls €0.15, BB calls €0.12

Flop: (€0.51) 4
club.gif
, 8
club.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
(3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets €0.33, 1 fold, BB calls €0.33

Turn: (€1.17) 9
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets €0.65, BB calls €0.65

River: (€2.47) 4
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets €2.35, Hero folds

Total pot: €2.47 | Rake: €0.12

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IDK Jbbb the first hand is OK pre but with a paired board on flop and a gutshot draw it's pretty weak, the bb seems weak, could you stand a re-raise? the second isn't playable preflop.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SDV hand top two pair or set would be minimum i'd think. That is on uncoordinated un-paired boards. Maybe a K or Q runner runner flush, always seems you are up against A high flush on 2 suited flop. Straights can only be played for the nuts unless they are, once again, runner runner type. Paired boards are absolute death to any hand if it doesn't help it (IE over set to pair, trips with pair and top full pair (QJ with JJQXX with x<J) otherwise they are SDV full houses. Even top set hands are vulnerable AA on A77XX board seems awesome but lose to pocket 7's way more in Omaha, not that you can ever lay this hand down.

Last edited:
F

freshsmithprince

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
200$ buy in 1-2$ blinds, PLO with a 5$ bring in 9 handed... only play AA-xx or KKxx and QQxx if the side cards are good, in early position... limp in if it gets raised behind u POT it up with the AA-xx and KKxx if the side cards are very strong and there is action in between or smooth call and see a flop...
Middle position add big wraps hands like 89JT...9TJQ,,, suited helps, if pot is raised in front of u gotta fold, with AA-xx Smooth call unless u can Re-raise at least about a 1/3 of ur stack.... with the KK-xx hands ur looking for very strong flops sets over pair with flush and straight draws etc...

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are thinking Hold'em, AAXX suck in Omaha without other two cards working with A's. the straight draws are far stronger pre. Suited connectors are way over valued, so you make a J high flush, is that really a good hand? Post flop is the most important part, unlike Hold'em you can really play any hand from any position if your cards work well together.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
200$ buy in 1-2$ blinds, PLO with a 5$ bring in 9 handed... only play AA-xx or KKxx and QQxx if the side cards are good, in early position... limp in if it gets raised behind u POT it up with the AA-xx and KKxx if the side cards are very strong and there is action in between or smooth call and see a flop...
Middle position add big wraps hands like 89JT...9TJQ,,, suited helps, if pot is raised in front of u gotta fold, with AA-xx Smooth call unless u can Re-raise at least about a 1/3 of ur stack.... with the KK-xx hands ur looking for very strong flops sets over pair with flush and straight draws etc...

Ok.

Subscribing

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry Potluck but I don´t agree with a lot of what you say. AAxx is still stong in Omaha and getting it all in pre is great (even AA27 no suits). It´ll be +ev to do that. If you get about 30% of your stack in pre it´s profitable to shove most flops too. Obviously you can check-fold very co-ordinated flops to reduce variance and such.
As for SDV hands, I think something like AK89 on a A27 flop would be considered to have showdown value. It´d likely check this behind with the intentiton of making it a one street hand. Hopefully Marg can confirm this for me or help me out if im misguided.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IDK Jbbb the first hand is OK pre but with a paired board on flop and a gutshot draw it's pretty weak, the bb seems weak, could you stand a re-raise?
Thats what I was thinking. However paired flops are pretty good to c'bet. Maybe not ones this coordinated though.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jbbb
I think both hands are fine, I'd probably bet the QQ9 flop though, you're going to have decent equity against anything but boats and of course you can fold out better. Second hand is obvious fold, I'd not expect to get bluffed very often on that board texture.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the game, I don't ever see folds all around in Omaha at micro limits and AAxx vs two opponents is even more difficult than Hold'em. On the other hand I did play an AA hand on my first hand the other night, it still had cards working with it but took it down to showdown against two villains and doubled up on first hand, course 2 suit flop and connectors that didn't make weighed considerably on my decision.

I just hate getting deep preflop in Omaha, now if I have a good starting hand I am more than happy to call.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SDV hand top two pair or set would be minimum i'd think. That is on uncoordinated un-paired boards. Maybe a K or Q runner runner flush, always seems you are up against A high flush on 2 suited flop. Straights can only be played for the nuts unless they are, once again, runner runner type. Paired boards are absolute death to any hand if it doesn't help it (IE over set to pair, trips with pair and top full pair (QJ with JJQXX with x<J) otherwise they are SDV full houses. Even top set hands are vulnerable AA on A77XX board seems awesome but lose to pocket 7's way more in Omaha, not that you can ever lay this hand down.

Dude this is way too nitty and I'm not too sure you are quite understanding what a SDV hand is. We don't need to be massively strong in any situation to hav a SDV hand. But alas it is a broad question that is situationally dependent.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are plenty of spots where you are against someone whose range contains a lot of really strong hands he's afraid to bet so checking it might be best. However, you should be turning good SDV hands into bluffs if they're really nitty and even times when you are probably good but checking it back is bad because he will sometimes win if you check but can almost never call a bet.

these hands are from donkaments but I think they illustrate these points, they are both essentially bluffs

first hand involves bare king play, blockers help. I think I am good quite often (in general his range is weak) but he's going to fold sooo many better hands and hands with equity that it's worth betting. (p.s. I think pre is probably meh)

Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
6 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com
$3 + $0.30 Rebuy

Stacks:
UTG (27,562)
baudib1 (UTG+1) (33,781)
CO (15,424)
BTN (5,724)
SB (24,180)
BB (24,151)

Blinds: 200/400

Pre-Flop: (600, 6 players) baudib1 is UTG+1 2:spade: A:diamond: 5:diamond: K:heart:
UTG calls 400, baudib1 calls 400, 2 folds, SB calls 200, BB checks

Flop: 3:heart: 2:heart: A:spade: (1,600, 4 players)
SB checks, BB bets 400, 1 fold, baudib1 calls 400, SB folds

Turn: Q:heart: (2,400, 2 players)
BB checks, baudib1 bets 1,600, BB folds

Final Pot: 4,000

baudib1 wins 4,000 (net +1,600)

This hand, SB was very aggro and straightforward and I'm pretty good here but checking it back is a total disaster when his range is so many draws and combo hands like A8xx with clubs or a 7 that "missed" but accidentally have me beat.

Stacks:
UTG (26,848)
UTG+1 (37,586)
CO (12,256)
BTN (27,551)
SB (23,812)
baudib1 (BB) (39,355)

Blinds: 300/600

Pre-Flop: (900, 6 players) baudib1 is BB 6:heart: 5:spade: 8:heart: Q:heart:
UTG calls 600, 3 folds, SB calls 300, baudib1 checks

Flop: 8:spade: 6:club: 9:diamond: (1,800, 3 players)
SB checks, baudib1 checks, UTG checks

Turn: 3:club: (1,800, 3 players)
SB checks, baudib1 bets 1,200, UTG folds, SB calls 1,200

River: 9:heart: (4,200, 2 players)
SB checks, baudib1 bets 3,000, SB folds

Final Pot: 7,200

baudib1 wins 7,200 (net +2,400)

In summation, don't make it easy for people to win at SD with marginal hands against you especially if they are OOP and nutcamping wankers.

Last edited:
I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think I might sub to this, really not sure how much plo i will get in next year, i dont have plo hud or anything, but regardless might try to get 10k hands in or something (pathetic i know)

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if you are going to play, it would most likely be short handed seeing as fr does not really run. How many tables you play depends on your current amount at holdem but I stick to small amounts like 4 to 6.

I also believe that if you are going to play it You need to commit and up grade hem. Also when you start to play, I wouldn't mind reviewing hands/ sessions of yours.

Let me know how it goes and I'll try to help

I play anything from 4-16 tables depending on what game im playing. If i move to plo ill play 4 of $10 or $25 unsure yet. I'll get the HEM upgrade in the new year and start playing a bit.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the irish and omahaahahah, I just jizzed all over my computer at how soft those games would be liam!

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick question that isn't worth a thread of it's own and here seems like a good place.

I was playing a SnG mixed HU PLH/PLO blinds 15/30 and we've switched to PLO I have 2000 he has 1000. I get dealt KsKdJs9h I 3-bet his min raise, he 4-bets I shove. Is this a standard hand to get it in with?