1/2 Live Where did I go wrong???

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hands kinda played itself. The only play I don't like is your flop lead. But that's moot really - if anything might have saved you a bit. But that's results O, so...
Pretty standard hand. Cooler.
Stick around 1/2 live tables for any length of time and see much much much nastier. lol

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the biggest issue I see here. You are aware that villain has 30% equity. Are you aware that a bet of 40 into a pot of 86 gives him 24% pot odds? If his equity is greater than his pot odds then he IS getting the odds to call. And that doesn't even take into account the implied odds of getting value on the river if he hits, which he obviously did. I would suggest you study these topics a bit more.

Now if you are correct and you are reasonably certain that he is going to call even if you shove, then you have 2 choices: 1) Jam the turn and hope he doesn't catch. Even if he does, you know that you made a +EV play and in the long run you will profit. 2) Check the turn and get to the river as cheaply as possible. If he doesn't hit, hope to get some value.

IMO- making wayyyyy too many assumptions here. Easy when arm chairing after the fact. But long term will get you KILLED. Again, my opinion. But I am more confident in it- than putting someone's range on such a narrow scope. :smokin:

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, but who makes the bigger mistake here, you or villain?

That flop smashes villains floating range, suited broadways, middle PP, maybe T9s, 98s Now if villain has a Qx hand (AQ, KQ, QJ, QT) what runouts help you? IMHO, that flop is a perfect example of a wet flop that hits villain harder than you that you don't want to c-bet on.

IMHO I also think some entitlement tilt and ego tilt came into play on this hand. I'll lay odds that you had some tilt self-talk going on in your head while this hand played out.

"Why is this fish floating me when I have made a big raise? He should either 3-bet me or fold!!"

"Damn that's an ugly flop but fish can't possibly be so lucky to have hit the Q."

"Damn fish just floating me again. I know I'm better than him, I'll yank this pot away from him on the turn or river!!!"

"Bingo, hit my Jack but damn that now puts out a flush draw. No way fish has clubs here."

"F**K-It , I'm all-in."
Sounds like you've been there. Only missing the voice of the fish... uuuhhh, he bets, I will get my flush anyway, so should I raise? Naahhhh, he will bet again and has only a few dollars left... I think I'm gonna buy my girlfriend some hot underwear....:icon_king

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO- making wayyyyy too many assumptions here. Easy when arm chairing after the fact. But long term will get you KILLED. Again, my opinion. But I am more confident in it- than putting someone's range on such a narrow scope. :smokin:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at. What assumptions did I make? I am simply addressing OP's statement about villain not having the odds to call and his options on the turn given HIS assumption that villain is on a draw.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at. What assumptions did I make? I am simply addressing OP's statement about villain not having the odds to call and his options on the turn given HIS assumption that villain is on a draw.

Fair enough. I was referring to the "have 70% equity" line primarily. And that's not a quote from you.
Usually where I play- we don't play hole cards face-up. Though it seems like it at times. lol.
I suppose there's some validity to your 2 turn options... check or shove... But that's assuming hole cards face up. Which, again, unlikely they are.
I give ya- view points are easily misconstrued. Especially in poker and online forums. Certainly an interesting thread resulting from a pretty str8 forward- whatca gonna do- 1/2NL hand. next hand :)

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your hesitance at least for me the jack would represent queens full but I see that you feel the type of player he was as a chaser. A good solid overbet would do here on the turn in relation to the pot's worth. You said you bet 40 into 80,you priced him in which is fine mostly I do this all the time people just keep calling and eventually fold the river,but you never know what the guy has. Seems you weren't afraid of a full house on the turn so you should have played it like a flopped set in a different scenario. Say you have 2 black 77's and the board floats to 7-6-3 two hearts. Now any 4 heart 9 or 8 is dangerous for you. This situation with 3 players in a 50 dollar pot post flop should be overbet 85% of the time unless the pot odds dictate gamble based on your opponents chips. Say you have 220 and 2 others as well it's 7-6-3-3-2 flush now on the board and your going to get paid big. You AJ might have rivered and ace of clubs and rookie kid could have bet large so you shove and take his stack,or you overbet the turn to price him out picking up a medium pot. With medium pair your mistake might have been not checking the flop to keep the pot small,odds are he would have checked behind and if he bet you fold losing the minimum on speculative hands are key.

Last edited:
Organize a Home Poker Game