1/2 Live Where did I go wrong???

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is great man. Your rich congratulations......Are you profitable at 5/10? If you are .......guess you make a living at it...

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is great man. Your rich congratulations......Are you profitable at 5/10? If you are .......guess you make a living at it...

I wasn’t trying to talk shit. Just trying to give you some insight.... hell, your the one looking for advise, and everyone who tries to help you, you make some dumbass comment and dismiss what they say.... good luck playing in the “kiddie pool” you’ll go bust soon enough. Douche.

M

MrSamsa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was playing 1/2 live at Morongo on a full table. My stack is 170 i bought in for 100. Player sitting to the left of me has 200 behind. Here is the hand:

Hero: Small Blind w/ AJ os
Villain: Big Blind w/ Q/10 suited clubs (Young kid maybe 18 you can tell he knows nothing about poker the type who will chase a gut-shot all the way down to river no matter the price)

Pre-Flop: 5 players limp for 2$ to me in the Small Blind, I raise it to 20$ to take down the pot right there. Big Blind calls the 20 with Q10 clubs, all other players fold and pot is heads-up.

Flop: 8 clubs, J spades, Q hearts
Hero: Bets 20 into 46$
Villain: Calls 20 and says "I call" kind of in an unsure voice
Turn: J clubs
Hero: Bets 40 into 86$
Villain: Tanks for a bit and finally calls (at this point I know he is on a draw)
River: 9 clubs
Hero: I see this card and I seriously am so ****ing pissed at this point.......I couldn't even believe it......I announce All-In for 90$
Villain: calls 90

Showdown: Hero: 3 jacks Ace kicker , Villain: Q high flush

So where do you guys think I went wrong???? I honestly think I screwed up on the turn and shouldn't have gone for value. That was an awful choice and such a dicey board. I wanted value and only bet 40 instead of saying All-In?

Suggestions?

You need to value bet your hands in a way that correlates with their strength as it relates to the board. That board is extremely connected- you are losing to any 10, which by the way QT and JT even 8T are all heavy on their calling range on the flop and the turn; as well as any backdoor flush, not to mention sets.

Its easy to be like "woo-hoo trips! Send me the money" but you have to slow down and consider what your actions should be if a 9 or a backdoor club hit before they come

TxFoldemPro

TxFoldemPro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate when that happens. Shoulda pushed turn, coulda folded river. I believe half pot or less means trap or info fishing. Worst part is morons tend to get lucky at the worst times, gotta swallow pride and gettem on the flip.

Keep it up,
TxfoldemPro

Ps: you made the right move.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THANK YOU MY MAN. Wow finally a poker genius. Someone who understands that I should of Pushed on the turn.!!! Wow 1/2 of these idiots just don't seem to understand that. Amazes me how stupid some of the people reading this topic are.

One guy says you should of checked the turn LOL, check the turn and automatically put villain on a flopped straight HAHA

Another guy says it was a mistake to C-bet the flop even though it is HU

Another idiot says All-In on the turn would be a mistake even though I have 70% equity to win and Fold Equity on the turn

Amazing how stupid some people are at poker

Thank You sir for this FINE REPLY.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No graph, No #'s and No proof that you even play 5/10 sorry buddy but I don't believe anything your saying. Talking like you "vastly surpassed 1/3 and 2/5 games" lol. gtfo

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your turn sizing of under half pot on a draw heavy board seems bad.

You've already addressed river tilt shove which was even worse.

But you really started going wrong before the flop with your... let's call it... "thinking".

Mindset needs a lot of work if you really want to improve your game.

Good luck to you! :D

Last edited:
mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didnt read the whole thread, but it sounds like you just wanted to blow off some steam. theres no way in hell you can be a reg on these forums and not spot the mistake. you knew what you did wrong before you even finished posting this.

my recommendation: The mental game of poker by jared tendler. get it, read it, internalize it, read it again.

EDIT: also buy in for a full stack

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didnt read the whole thread, but it sounds like you just wanted to blow off some steam. theres no way in hell you can be a reg on these forums and not spot the mistake. you knew what you did wrong before you even finished posting this.

my recommendation: The mental game of poker by jared tendler. get it, read it, internalize it, read it again.

EDIT: also buy in for a full stack
Excellent book in my opinion! It's an easy read too. That book has been very helpful to me. I recommend it to anyone!

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THANK YOU MY MAN. Wow finally a poker genius. Someone who understands that I should of Pushed on the turn.!!! Wow 1/2 of these idiots just don't seem to understand that. Amazes me how stupid some of the people reading this topic are.

One guy says you should of checked the turn LOL, check the turn and automatically put villain on a flopped straight HAHA

Another idiot says All-In on the turn would be a mistake even though I have 70% Equity to win and Fold Equity on the turn

I'm still amazed at the fact that you don't realize you lost to a straight flush. Villain did not have a straight or a flush, he/she had a STRAIGHT FLUSH!!!

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play PLO it will teach you to be better NLH player. I am guessing from your opponent he would have called a shove even on that board on the turn. Though you really should have potted it on the turn. When the draws show up they show up.

Your opponent made bad call pre though, calling 10x with dominated hand like Q10. New player like never let go of top pair. Even if they get check raised big they still don't let go of top purrr. The obvious mistake was the river as admitted.

Last edited:
M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Another idiot says All-In on the turn would be a mistake even though I have 70% Equity to win and Fold Equity on the turn

Shoving turn is terrible and one of worse lines you can take. When you come here, dont look for people to vindicate your play, look for the right ideas and keep an open mind.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shpuld cool it with the personal attacks, and you should also remember that youre playing against a range. You have much more equity vs his half pot calling range than you do against his much stronger all in calling range. Comparing the EV of a line where he calls with a hand in the middle of his range to the EV of a line where he calls with the same hand closer to the bottom of his range is not how you evaluate lines.

You are on insane monkey tilt over a hand that happened a week ago, you are laser focused on the results, and you are no longer posting here to improve but looking for someone to tell you what you wanted to hear and arguing with everyone who tells you otherwise.

G-bucks > sklansky bucks

caligula

caligula

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No graph, No #'s and No proof that you even play 5/10 sorry buddy but I don't believe anything your saying. Talking like you "vastly surpassed 1/3 and 2/5 games" lol. gtfo

I didn't say I vastly surpassed 1/3 and 2/5 games. I just said I've vastly surpassed you. I don't need to provide proof that I play 5/10, you'll just have to take my word for it. I have a real job and don't live and die by my results at the poker table. Your head is so far up your own ass that you find it impossible to believe there's anyone who's reached a higher level than you. You're on here posting handwritten charts from 2016 expecting people to be impressed. You were playing 1/2 in 2016 and you're still playing 1/2 in 2018. No progress. You lost a measly $170, punting off your money like a donkey, and it bothered you so much you felt compelled to show up on a forum and ask what you did wrong when the answer was as clear as day, right in front of you. And when people tried to tell you what you did wrong, you deflected, and instead propped yourself up, as if you're infallible. Your ego is far larger than your ambition or skill.

I

innercitysrvvr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Why did i believe villain was unsure about calling instead of raising? Easy: because I'm pro at reading the other players, body language, voice, bets, etc". Huh, apparently not. You raise 10 bb preflop and get called. You are out of position, flop 2nd pr, you bet and get called. You bet on the turn, get called. Forget the villain's hand for a moment. This guy could have been rolling you with a set and you sound clueless. How about attempting a check raise on flop. Coming back at him might have changed his action. Regardless, chalk it up to a bad beat and move on. The same weak players that occasionally draw out on you are the same ones that pay you off time after time.

L

LIONINSIDE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So where do you guys think I went wrong????
Suggestions?

Preflop in my opinion. It's the most important street in holdem as it sets the tone for the rest of the hand.

AK is ok to raise, but while you're still crafting your game I would recommend just completing OOP with AQ/AJ in these limped pots. Things can get messy once you bloat the pot with a mediocre holding.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop in my opinion. It's the most important street in holdem as it sets the tone for the rest of the hand.

AK is ok to raise, but while you're still crafting your game I would recommend just completing OOP with AQ/AJ in these limped pots. Things can get messy once you bloat the pot with a mediocre holding.

No. maybe if you like taking AQ into a 7 way pot... but generally you should be trying to get headsup to the flop with this kind of hand

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not one person on this site knows how to read players and it's truly pathetic.

R

Robespierre

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aaron,

Your villain also had an inside straight flush draw after the turn. Does Morongo have a high hand or bad beat jackpot? If so, it could also have compelled him to call your bet on the turn. When I used to play 1-2NL at PBKC in Florida, there was no chance I was going to get my opponent to fold that hand after the turn, even if I shoved.
I’ve seen it said numerous times on various threads that you want these fish to call off their stacks on draws and second pairs, but sometimes they’re gonna hit. In the long run, you will make a lot of money off of them, but now and then they’re gonna felt you with a “suckout”.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you went wrong by going all in on the river.
I would have checked back the river.

I don't think any bet would get this kid to fold the turn. I feel he was mentally committed once he hit top pair on the flop. Against another player who has a clue, I would say a larger bet may get them off the hand, but this kid is calling.

I believe he overvalues his hand and thinks he is slow playing you. He hits top pair on the flop and tries to act weak. He thinks he improves on the turn to two pair with a gut shot and pretends to tank. Then he hits his straight.

Obviously I was not at the table and may be way off, but from what you have provided on the hand and this players "skillset" I don't think you ever had a chance to win this hand due to the cards that played out.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are out of position on the flop I would check call - You have middle pair on this flop, then check raise on turn.

As played on the river you have an easy check, 4 card straight and a flush on the board, your trips ain't looking too good here.

Either way your getting stacked in this hand. BB has top pair and a flush draw, no way he is folding.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WOW. I did not read that correctly and totally missed he hit a straight flush. Shame on me!

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have 70% equity on the turn...

Regardless he still does not have correct odds to call. That is basically what it comes down to right?

This is the biggest issue I see here. You are aware that villain has 30% equity. Are you aware that a bet of 40 into a pot of 86 gives him 24% pot odds? If his equity is greater than his pot odds then he IS getting the odds to call. And that doesn't even take into account the implied odds of getting value on the river if he hits, which he obviously did. I would suggest you study these topics a bit more.

Now if you are correct and you are reasonably certain that he is going to call even if you shove, then you have 2 choices: 1) Jam the turn and hope he doesn't catch. Even if he does, you know that you made a +EV play and in the long run you will profit. 2) Check the turn and get to the river as cheaply as possible. If he doesn't hit, hope to get some value.

Organize a Home Poker Game