Playing pot odds from small blind

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small blind play is something that I still need to work on. Harrington reckons 7:1 pot odds are good enough for a call with almost any two cards. This hand was just such an occasion; and the table had been quite passive, so I was 90% sure BB wasn't going to raise.

** Game ID 15142451 starting - 2006-12-08 21:04:17
** On Request [Hold 'em] (2.00|4.00 No Limit - Cash Game) real money

- poephol sitting in seat 1 with R59.88
- Pockitzz sitting in seat 2 with R601.87
- SeroZero sitting in seat 3 with R626.88
- BigV sitting in seat 4 with R320.26
- Patsie sitting in seat 5 with R310.00
- Bee sitting in seat 6 with R116.87
- Gabriella sitting in seat 7 with R795.75 [Dealer]
- loopy sitting in seat 8 with R839.75

loopy posted the small blind - R2.00
poephol posted the big blind - R4.00

** Dealing card to loopy: 4 of Diamonds, Jack of Spades
Pockitzz called - R4.00
SeroZero called - R4.00
BigV folded
Patsie called - R4.00
Bee folded
Gabriella folded
loopy called - R4.00
Only 2 extra to call - 7:1 pot odds. The basic play is hope for a monster flop or get out
poephol checked

** Dealing the flop: 6 of Clubs, 4 of Hearts, 5 of Clubs

The flop probably missed everyone, but I only have bottom pair. Do you put in a pot-sized bet hoping to take it there and then (semi-bluff?)? Or try check/fold?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only 2 extra to call - 7:1 pot odds. The basic play is hope for a monster flop or get out

What you said :)

Think about it, you DONT want to play a big pot here, you out of position for the hand, you pot it, get a caller , then what about the turn, check-fold if it misses you ?

Check-Fold.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bearing in mind anyone with a 7, 6, 3, two club overcards or any pair apart from twos is calling / raising, and you're out of position, you definitely don't want to be betting here. You haven't flopped your monster so get out if someone bets. You just have to hope it's checked round and you improve on the Turn.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first reaction would be to make a pot sized bet since you're first to act but there are a lot of straight and flsuh draws out there and with so many players in the pot, that's very likely. Either check or make a big bet to try to take the pot right there. A bet big enough that players won't call to chase a straight or flush. Otherwise, check.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want the pot the only bet to do is all in. Otherwise check fold. But if this table is as passive as you say it is the all in will take the pot.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overbet the pot by a factor of 40 with bottom pair and no draws before anyone else has even acted? You crazy. :D

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want the pot the only bet to do is all in.

Risking 835 (well, ~596 with effective stacks) to win a pot of 24?

I just check-fold here, maybe taking a stab on the turn if it's checked around and a nothing card falls (or if I improve, of course).

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome stuff. Check-fold it is.

The results are pointless, but here they are anyway:

As it played, I bet the pot, and got a caller. I improved to two pair on the turn. Bet again. Called again. Spiked a FH on the river and took a big pot, beating a flopped straight. <embarrassed cough>

I think I'll quit this suicide tactic while I'm ahead :>

D

DeanoSupremo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Check/fold definetly considering how many others are in the pot, someone could have flopped trips easily.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator