$5 NLHE 6-max: Flopped trips in a 3bet pot hand

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did that answer your question Micromachine?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh **** it, I'll do it again.

been here for 40 hands. sat every seat 7 times bar utg and utg+1

presuming we don't limp/raise we can't 3-bet from utg.

utg+1 we have (6*0.2) 1.2 chances to 3-bet

CO we have (7*0.2)*2 2.8 chances to 3-bet

button we have (7*0.2)*3 4.2 chances to 3-bet

SB we have (7*0.2)*4 5.6 chances to 3-bet

BB we have (7*0.2)*5 7 chances to 3-bet

so 20.8 chances to 3 bet. x/20.8 = 0.16 so x = 3.3 which is close to 3 as all our assumptions on who raises when isn't accounted for but 100% never going to be 1 unless we're at a ridiculous table. Think its fair to say we can nearly guarentee it wasn't just the one 3-bet. oh and I havne't done the probabilites accurately was just a rough guide. Didn't really fancy doing the big calculation but I think itsgoing to be close to 3. Also calcualtions presume randomly dsitributed raises and no 3-bets prior to it getting to you, I think the true number would be 2-3.

Last edited:
B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he has roughly 20 opportunities to 3-bet shown in my post above. 16% of that is roughly 3. He raised pre-flop 3 times and re-raised pre-flop 3 times is the only conclusion to be drawn from that. where are you getting maximum of 7 opportunities from. We have seen nothing that suggest he could have only had 7 opportunities to 3-bet. Are you telling me in 40 hands he will have only seen a raise in front of him 7 times? That would be working on the assumption the table is the nittiest table ever.

This was a reply to a comment that no longer seems to be here? It's not jsut me rambling on.

Last edited:
Kanivision

Kanivision

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why u guys like to put down other ppl, cardchat is a building community to help understand the game and become better players, stop with ur negativy to other players and be the better man and help,

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I deleted my last post because whilst we can tell how many hands he has taken an aggressive action with we cant calculate the number of 3bets he made (thats why stats need to converge)

However given that we know he plays 22/15 and given that we can be sure he has made 6 aggressive actions, its highly unlikely that half of them were 3bets.

That is about the extent of what can be calculated.

Being as this guy is 22/15 and PFR and VPIP converge quicker than anything else, I just dont believe this guy has 3bet more than once (twice at the most)

These guys just dont play like that.

The 16% seems to fit the idea that he 3bet only once far too snugly for it to be ignored in this sample size.

I just dont believe that a 6 max player playing 22/15 has 3bet 3-6 times, not when we know 100% he has raised 6 pots.

A lot of this has to be done by feel, thats why 3bet stats are so unreliable under a few hundred hands.

However I am almost certain he has 3bet only once and almost certain he has not 3bet 3 or more times.

We will see when micro responds with a count.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did that answer your question Micromachine?

Haha, best post in this thread. Made me laugh out loud after skimming through the battle.

I'm gonna pop in here real quick and say that my initial thoughts on the hand are fold preflop. But as played I would just call the flop. He pretty clearly likes his hand a lot. I am not really afraid of anything. I'd rather just let him barrel the turn as well and then I will ship it in.

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wtf over such a small sample size why cant someone 3b half the time they are raising preflop? both arguments are perfectly plausible i dont understand why there is any argument lol

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW the reason I deleted my post was I realised that reading your post had led me off course.

What you have done is to try and make assumptions about how often he had the opportunity to 3bet.

We dont know

That led me to then start thinking of it in terms of orbits, which is incorrect as its starting to make assumptions of his 3 bet oppertunities that we cant make given such a small sample size.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm gonna pop in here real quick and say that my initial thoughts on the hand are fold preflop. But as played I would just call the flop. He pretty clearly likes his hand a lot. I am not really afraid of anything. I'd rather just let him barrel the turn as well and then I will ship it in.

Yeah that was my initial thought.

Simply fold.

The reason I went down the 3bet stat route was that some people seem to think that everyone is so insanely agressive that we can play back at or start flatting 3bets early in a session.

So what I was trying to do was to show how few 3bets you need for a stat of 16% over 40 hands.

Its just so low that you cant really do much other than fold.

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how often have you played 40 hands and only had the chance to 3b 6 times?

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wtf over such a small sample size why cant someone 3b half the time they are raising preflop? both arguments are perfectly plausible i dont understand why there is any argument lol

Ya, too many possibilities in such a small sample. Its totally possible they got a bunch of big hands in some sweet spots or that they're a really agro player, it could still go both ways.

When I said he has 3 bet once in 40 hands I wasn't going with any math, I was just commenting on the fact that this guy could still be 3 betting for value here. There a tons of times where I get 3 bet by a guy with a 20% 3 bet and Im ready to ship it in until I realize that that hand sample is only 50 hands and it was only twice(or possibly three times before I get called out on my maths) that they 3 bet. After a couple hundred hands their 3 bet stat fall back down to a normal %.

I also use the 3betPF stat so its more accurate for pre flop decisions.

So obv fold pre and like I said before, as played I'd just call the flop bet.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I feel better, I thought I was losing my mind. thanks blue

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I looked up the guy in the hand again....

The guys 3bet stat is 16.67% over 41 hands
He 3bet 3 times: once from BTN (1/2 times) and twice from BB (2/7 times)

:D

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and...
seat 2 from BTN (0/2 times)
seat 1 from BTN (0/2 times)
SB (0/5 times)

So out of 18 opportunities to 3bet, he did it 3 times = 16.67%

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and in the hand itself, I shoved the flop and he folded.

I agree with most of you who said I should have flatted and let him fire another on the turn

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW the reason I deleted my post was I realised that reading your post had led me off course.

What you have done is to try and make assumptions about how often he had the opportunity to 3bet.

We dont know

That led me to then start thinking of it in terms of orbits, which is incorrect as its starting to make assumptions of his 3 bet oppertunities that we cant make given such a small sample size.

Given the information this is the only way we can work it out and the most reliable. If we know how often we see a raise in front of us (as I worked out) then we know opportunity to 3-bet leaving only the unknown of how many times he 30bet which can be easily worked out. Your method was estimating bot hunknowns rather than working one out and solving from there which is why I believe it's going to be close to the numbers I gave.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should really finish reading threads before I post things. Yea 3/6 of his bets being 3-bets is high but certainly not ridiculous when we consider it's only 40 hands and he could've quite easily had a hand worth 3-betting each time. Seen it is 3 now. given how much we see raises in front of us thoguht it had to be around that.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands