$10 NLHE 6-max: Are we checking this flop or betting for protection?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pacific Poker - €0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 100 BB
SB: 147.9 BB
BB: 255.6 BB
UTG: 214.5 BB
CO: 157 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A
club.png
heart.png

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, SB calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (7.5 BB, 3 players) 8
heart.png
diamond.png
spade.png

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 3.7 BB, SB calls 3.7 BB, fold

Turn: (14.9 BB, 2 players) 6
heart.png

SB checks, Hero checks

River: (14.9 BB, 2 players) 7
spade.png

SB bets 9 BB, fold

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's usually better to bet the flop for value and protection. Plenty of worse hands like A9, 33, or 6d5d can call. You also don't want two players to get free cards when they could easily have a combined 12 outs against you to hit a higher pair.

Pre-flop, turn and river all look good. So I think you played this hand very well on all streets.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
BTN's stealing range

Pacific Poker - €0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 100 BB
SB: 147.9 BB
BB: 255.6 BB
UTG: 214.5 BB
CO: 157 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A
club.png
heart.png

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, SB calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (7.5 BB, 3 players) 8
heart.png
diamond.png
spade.png

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 3.7 BB, SB calls 3.7 BB, fold

Turn: (14.9 BB, 2 players) 6
heart.png

SB checks, Hero checks

River: (14.9 BB, 2 players) 7
spade.png

SB bets 9 BB, fold

Hello there Casey55, thank you for sharing your hand.

The Preflop

It is okay to be opening 50% from BTN, because we need to steal the blinds. However, when we do open weak combos from BTN and get two caller we need to evaluate the situation postflop. Here two players call, which is never a good thing, because now our odds are not so good as if when we are heads-up

the postflop

The Flop

A very dry board, and as long as SB and BB checked, I would lean more towards checking here too. We bet for protection when do we hit something significant and when the flop is more connected. In this case you are blocking the 4x that Villains could have on their ranges and the flop is blocking 8x, so which hands we open from the BTN, get two callers and c-bet 1/2 pot on a dry board?
When you do c-bet 1/2 pot, what is your overall plan for the turn? Which cards are you betting, which cards are you checking, what if both players call c-bet, we need to be thinking one street later so we can make the best decisions.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against 1 player, I would bet. Against 2 players (as in the hand), I would check the flop.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent your game. In NL10 you shouldn't think to about post flop range building. You probably looked for efficient fold equity in these villains with your half pot cbet bet. So I think it was a nice fold on the river.
Greetings.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to bet on the flop because we are ahead of our opponent. I'd bet more, the size of a pot

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's usually better to bet the flop for value and protection. Plenty of worse hands like A9, 33, or 6d5d can call. You also don't want two players to get free cards when they could easily have a combined 12 outs against you to hit a higher pair. Pre-flop, turn and river all look good. So I think you played this hand very well on all streets.

I agree. I would also play this hand the exact same way, hero did. I will also say, that during this new poker boom caused by the virus I have increased my C-betting frequency in general especially in cash games. It seems to me, that many of the new recreational players are folding a lot to flop C-bets, which is pretty much, how online poker reportedly was back in 2005.

R

ramignis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there were no mistakes in this distribution on any of the streets. on the flop you need to bet to protect your hand and also to determine where you are

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars