what are the odds same set ?

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , recently i have been involved with rival having same set as me on the board (different kicker) , what are the odds of this?
It's annoying, i busted out once and took a hit but survived the other,
I'm sure it's almost as annoying as set-over-set hands .... takes quite an imagination to not go broke here right?
(Assuming we have no player image info)
Thanks

(P.s i don't feel too bad about it, and still undecided whether it's possible getting away from such situations )

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , recently i have been involved with rival having same set as me on the board (different kicker) , what are the odds of this?
It's annoying, i busted out once and took a hit but survived the other,
I'm sure it's almost as annoying as set-over-set hands .... takes quite an imagination to not go broke here right?
(Assuming we have no player image info)
Thanks

(P.s i don't feel too bad about it, and still undecided whether it's possible getting away from such situations )
First of all set is only when you have pair in your hands and third comes on board, so no chance for another :D ... You are talking about tris, and chances are 1/45 x2 or around 5% if i am correct :)

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ignoring what the card is, position, how likely each player was to see a flop with it, etc., just assuming two random cards for each player the chance of both making trips with a pair on the board is 0.00045%. But the chance of the board pairing is 49%, so 0.0002%, or 2 of every 10,000 hands. Taking into account what the pair is and the chance of two players seeing the flop with a tripping card in their hand, or staying in the hand for a pairing on the turn or river, the chance is obviously much lower.
I, and I think most players, call a set as when you have a pair in your hand. If the pair is on the board I just call it trips.

Last edited:
ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, thanks for the feedback so far, ok so trips, basically then I'm thinking about the odds of the "case" card then,? I guess the odds decrease depending on how many people are still in the hand when the board pairs,
Should still be like 1 out of 20 perhaps? What could also affect is the value of the paired board, for example, if it's an A,K or Q , most likely if it was also on the flop and paired by the river, with bets preflop,flop & turn, we can guess a higher probability that someone has the case card yes ? (For them to preflop & flop bet&call , possibility of them having any if the top 3 cards is higher )

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, thanks for the feedback so far, ok so trips, basically then I'm thinking about the odds of the "case" card then,? I guess the odds decrease depending on how many people are still in the hand when the board pairs,
Should still be like 1 out of 20 perhaps? What could also affect is the value of the paired board, for example, if it's an A,K or Q , most likely if it was also on the flop and paired by the river, with bets preflop,flop & turn, we can guess a higher probability that someone has the case card yes ? (For them to preflop & flop bet&call , possibility of them having any if the top 3 cards is higher )
You opponent has 2 of remaining 47 cards (on flop), 45 at end... So chance is 2 devided with 47(45)*100=4.2%

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator