Skill or Luck? Whats your opinion?

M

muazkkh1996

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Luck Counts 40% Skill 60% or else we wouldnt be seeing those players again and again at the final table

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that luck 50% and skill 50%.The more tournaments you play, the more chances you have to win.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've said for many years now, I believe it's 50% luck, and 50% skill.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
From my point of view luck does not exist in poker ... the decision to play a hand or not to play it you take ... and every time you play a hand you know the odds of winning or losing that hand ... in that there is no luck ... for example if you have AA in your hand it does not guarantee that 100% you will win the hand, even hands like these have a percentage of chances of losing what we call variance ... however I believe that the success in poker should depend on the skill with which it is played ..!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for the cash game at the level of luck it must be tightened but for the tournaments luck counts for 20% at the beginning and goes to 60% at the end.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, for the average player it breaks down like this...

In any one hand luck probably has up to an 100% chance of determining the outcome. In an 4 hour session, luck probably makes up about 85% of the results. Over a week of regular play its probably down to around 75%. A month of regular play and its maybe 66%.

Keep in mind that luck works both ways too. Some days you get chicken, other days you get feathers.

It takes a long time for the averages to catch up just to be statistically even. Sure, aces will hold up XX% of the time, but you to get dealt aces a few hundred times in order to realize that percentage.

Finally, the long term number I think is about right...

In the average grinder's lifetime, luck has probably been cut to about 45%. The best in the world may peak at 40%. Maybe.

A 20% edge seems huge to me, but what do I know.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At long distances, poker is a skill. Luck in poker is applicable for games at short distances (for example, a hyper-turbo tournaments).

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say my opinion that in some tournaments and games it happens that luck plays in 70-80%, and in good normal tournaments mtt I think that somewhere there is 30-40% luck and the rest remains for the skill -of the game from the players!

kostas1234

kostas1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in gample is 100% luck if you have 50 hands low cards like 4 7 or 2 4 continius you will loose for sure so if you have AA 40 hands contantly you will win some , luck is the first and then the other

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I say in the first place counts the ability to choose with what hand you go on, and then comes a bit of luck ... if you have :)

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any sport there is an element of luck. Football, golf, bobsleigh and so on. I think the luck element in these games is much less than in poker. However, in poker, more intelligence and mathematics than good luck.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only Luck specially on PS i noticed something lately everytime there is a new update i run extremely well no one could beat me after that few days and you don't hit anything i can't even win obvious hands and this for the last 2 years or so.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I think Luck Counts 40% Skill 60% or else we wouldnt be seeing those players again and again at the final table

I think 50 and 50 ... I've been playing for several years and many times I've lost my hands taking AA and surely it has happened to you too:mad:

TheHulk7

TheHulk7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of such questions almost everyday here, you should try and see for yourself.. In my opinion

Tournament poker = pure luck
Cash game = a bit smaller luck factor

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. In the long term, it is like this

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suggest to look at it from the other side. What do you think what chances do you have to win a player's pro at a table for two? I think you have scant chances. You can say no chance there. And now think how important in this case is the ability to play. I think so at 90% jump. And if you play with an average player, then it will be 40 to 60.

anasslaaleg

anasslaaleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the short term results, a lot of luck comes into play but in the long term results depends a lot on the skills.

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This issue has been discussed for a long time and will probably be discussed for a long time. In my opinion, 70% are skills and 30% luck.

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say skill weighs more than luck.

My poker history is only about 2 months. The first month I lost over $50 (by play cash game .02/.04, and some SNG). But after I learned some skill, I stopped losing and gained some money back. Of course the progress was fluctuated but it seems overall I was getting better on controlling the loss when I was unlucky.

But I am still too new to get right idea. Or perhaps there's no such thing as "right idea"

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker there is no "good luck" there is only your knowledge and skill! Of course, sometimes you have no luck, but if you play correctly, the distance will return all the losses to you due to failure

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker is 80 percent skill, 10 percent dedication and 10 percent luck.

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are a high roller, then surely there you need more skill than good luck and if you are a player of low and medium limits, then there you need more good luck ...

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You're contingent to base that percentage on final tables for players you feel are lucky? If you are hitting final tables regularly, that in it self is a skill. Not sure of the formula you used to determine that. I'm guessing that you are are not a lucky player?