Phil Hellmuth: A degenerate gambler

M

Maybachs600

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't care how many bracelets this guy has or what he has made financially over the course of his career. Phil Hellmuth is perhaps the most vulgar, unruly, whiny, annoying, arrogant, hypocritical and delusional poker professional in the history of the game. He always seems to be exempt from penalties when playing in the wsop or other major events since his sponsors and tournament officials seem to always have some incentive in his outcome. This jerk is always berating other players with profanity and criticisms of how they play. He has truly convinced himself that he is God's gift to the poker community, and that he is incapable of any errors, bad plays, and everyone else is an "idiot" or "jackass" that has to willfully be subjected to his abuses every time he loses a hand in the game.

I am so sick of seeing this jackal being given special treatment and exemptions while everyone else has to follow the rules of the game. He has spent over a decade hedging his entry into big tournaments by means of his corporate sponsors and affluent backers. He reaped huge financial benefits while involved with multiple on-line poker platforms that all came crashing down because of scandals. There is nothing that will ever convince me that he was unaware of what his friends and partners were doing during the height of various scandal which he profited from while others lost their money. Hellmuth strikes me as a snake oil salesman who has hidden well behind his sponsors and benefactors. This man may be one of the best poker tournament players in the world, but all in all strikes me as a real shitty and shady human being with a compulsive gambling habit who has no business representing the poker playing community as a whole.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WOW Maybachs600. Phil Helmuth has really made an impact on you! In reality he has simply built himself a reputation as the bad boy, and it has worked for him. If you look around you will see many people of this type and description in the wider world. They all work in a similar way and then one day it all comes crashing down on them. Time is the tester of such images.

As for now, don't worry about things you cannot influence and use your feelings in a positive way to benefit yourself, despite the sham and drudgery that coexists in life.

Best wishes

BB

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's not all that bad. He might be hated, but he's really a good guy.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Hellmuth is boring, but his haters are boring too. The guy is a WSOP bracelet freak, he is not playing any other thing. The marketing effect is look for more bracelets to hit the goal to be "the best". Very stupid of course, but it works for newbies and people from outside the industry.

Here in brazil we have one guy here, called Akkari, is the same thing. The difference is the guy don't win a big tournament since 2011. So, after all, Hellmuth is very consistent in his search for new bracelets. Is not just lies. We should respect him little bit.

But the "diva" behavior of this guys... very stupid thing.

This guys are not playing poker for living anymore.
They are playing marketing.

They are like Kardashians in the poker universe.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Hellmuth, he's a nice guy.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't care how many bracelets this guy has or what he has made financially over the course of his career. Phil Hellmuth is perhaps the most vulgar, unruly, whiny, annoying, arrogant, hypocritical and delusional poker professional in the history of the game. He always seems to be exempt from penalties when playing in the WSOP or other major events since his sponsors and tournament officials seem to always have some incentive in his outcome. This jerk is always berating other players with profanity and criticisms of how they play. He has truly convinced himself that he is God's gift to the poker community, and that he is incapable of any errors, bad plays, and everyone else is an "idiot" or "jackass" that has to willfully be subjected to his abuses every time he loses a hand in the game.

I am so sick of seeing this jackal being given special treatment and exemptions while everyone else has to follow the rules of the game. He has spent over a decade hedging his entry into big tournaments by means of his corporate sponsors and affluent backers. He reaped huge financial benefits while involved with multiple on-line poker platforms that all came crashing down because of scandals. There is nothing that will ever convince me that he was unaware of what his friends and partners were doing during the height of various scandal which he profited from while others lost their money. Hellmuth strikes me as a snake oil salesman who has hidden well behind his sponsors and benefactors. This man may be one of the best poker tournament players in the world, but all in all strikes me as a real shitty and shady human being with a compulsive gambling habit who has no business representing the poker playing community as a whole.

Ok. so why don't you tell us how you're really feeling?

fwiw, worst thread title ever! Guy is a bankroll NIT if I've ever seen one.
Also, he deserves credit for his nlhe tournament play over the years. He can be an a-hole but it does help to make watching tv poker a bit more entertaining. I'm sure there are many poker enthusiasts who don't play very much but they do know who Phil Helmuth is.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion he is not bad guy.
People don't like him,i guess because he is unique,but that's him.
I don't know how he hurt you,but try to relax and forgive him,at the end he is one crazy dude :D

crazydogg666

crazydogg666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He just plays a role. Many people say he treats them well away from the tables.
I wouldnt also say degenerate gambler. He only plays poker, not slots or roulette or something :) And he tries to play well and hates donk moves :)

I agree completely. Phil is an interesting person :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_150817.jpg
    IMG_20200603_150817.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 101
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't care how many bracelets this guy has or what he has made financially over the course of his career. Phil Hellmuth is perhaps the most vulgar, unruly, whiny, annoying, arrogant, hypocritical and delusional poker professional in the history of the game. He always seems to be exempt from penalties when playing in the WSOP or other major events since his sponsors and tournament officials seem to always have some incentive in his outcome. This jerk is always berating other players with profanity and criticisms of how they play. He has truly convinced himself that he is God's gift to the poker community, and that he is incapable of any errors, bad plays, and everyone else is an "idiot" or "jackass" that has to willfully be subjected to his abuses every time he loses a hand in the game.

Totally agree & do not even get me started on that Texas Dolly Brunson. Hell he ain't even a girl. Sheesh. :rolleyes: Maybe try a cold beer or 3 & a cold towel on the forehead. Phil tilts another one.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just want to play against him and beat him for a WSOP bracelet. Don't hate on anyone. It hurts you more than it hurts them. Fact!

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think his personality is terrible but he is sure not a degenerate gambler. I have a feeling he doesn't place many bets where the odds aren't in his favor.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh please, for his tantrums and his conduct against other players, which I do agree, is unacceptable at times, and I don't condone it, he's been comedy gold for podcasts and forum posters over the years. Also, if you're going to call him out for his behavior, then you need to do that to all the others who also berate other players, mistreat dealers, etc., because Hellmuth is hardly alone as a guilty party.

Besides Daniel, who else is discussed more in the poker world?

Here's some classic Phil.

Crashing a race car like a boss!!!

A front shot of the ruins.

Hellmuth CarDestroyed

Vintage Phil moment here. When it's all said and done, this will be his funniest moment in poker.

Of course, back about 10 years ago, he was notorious for being a late arrival for Day 1 of the Main Event, before Black Friday. He would make grand entrances, some of which are below.

Hellmuth Ceasar
Hellmuth General
Hellmuth Thor

and in my opinion, the signature Phil picture.....Riding a Hot Dog. Just so much winning here. :D

Phil Hellmuth Giant Hotdog 092611L

What OTHER poker player has given us SO many laughs over the years with his antics? If anything, characters like that are what grew the game during the boom years post Moneymaker.

This also doesn't even include him saying to his wife "I can DODGE BULLETS BABY!!!".

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil Hellmuth created this image for himself and follows it throughout his life. Nevertheless, it is interesting to watch. His failures at the poker table make people smile.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Brat!

I'm not sure if it's healthy expending so much (negative) energy hating someone you don't know.

It's likely just a persona for promotion purposes, like a trash talking boxer or a "heel" in wrestling. He's not the first and won't be the last player to try to tilt opponents at the table when the slightest edge makes a difference.

A quick google search shows you how many charitible causes Phil Helmuth supports, so it's clear he uses his profile for good too. In interviews he actually seems quite grounded for someone with 14 bracelets.

Ultimately, Poker needs characters to attract a global audience. If everyone was a headphone/hoody wearing robot then nobody would take an interest, so I don't think his "Poker Brat" persona is that bad for the game.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A quick google search shows you how many charitible causes Phil Helmuth supports, so it's clear he uses his profile for good too. In interviews he actually seems quite grounded for someone with 14 bracelets.

Ultimately, Poker needs characters to attract a global audience. If everyone was a headphone/hoody wearing robot then nobody would take an interest, so I don't think his "Poker Brat" persona is that bad for the game.

He doesn't even keep his bracelets, he gives them away to family/friends after he wins them. Without characters like him, poker wouldn't draw the kind of interest it does. Who wants to sit around and watch a bunch of GTO bots in hoodies saying absolutely nothing, tank folding, so as not to give off live tells play poker?

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a Phil Hellmuth fanboy but it is pretty much a love-hate thing for me.

I love him because he is a skilled poker player both cash and tournament (he's mostly a tournament guy but he is good at cash as well, but Daniel Negreanu is a cash game pro). Other players like Erik Seidel, Antonio Esfandiari and then Phil Ivey are worth watching.

And then whenever he suffers a bad beat... well, it's just Phil being Phil. Standing up and expressing his love for his opponent.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He may be a child at times, but at least he erupts in the moment and doesn't use Twitter to complain about everything. Yes, he calls other players idiots, but he doesn't give them childish nicknames. He will explode if an opponent makes a bad move that beats him, but he doesn't verbally attack 16 year old girls with Asperger's Syndrome because they got chosen for the cover of Time Magazine instead of him. Hell, when Phil retires, he could run to be the president of the United States under the current qualifications...if he can PROVE he was born in the USA!!!!

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fhil hellmuth

Hi. you are right in everything. I add this. There are also the clashes with tony-g. and chris moneymaker

Last edited:
M

Maybachs600

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to clarify that I have played poker with Phil Hellmuth a few times. It was always the same undue fanfare and unsportsmanlike behavior coupled with random spewing of profanity that makes me not really care for the guy. Who he is as a family man or friend is none of my business since he is neither to me.

Phil Hellmuth is a public figure and should try to represent the community with a stitch of class, but instead he often behaves like he is playing garage poker after having had a 12 case of Ice House and 3 shots of Jose Cuervo.

Finally, I agree with the assessment of all of his fanboys on this thread, he definitely is playing a character. Phil Hellmuth plays the character of a douchebag!

Finally, the rich should give back to their community. It was the community that made Phil Hellmuth rich to begin with. Most of his risks were significantly hedged financially, whether publicly or privately, and his low risk high reward game theory along with his mastery of the game itself certainly affords him the right to be called one of the best Poker players in the world. But when someone has access to endless trunks of money it should go without saying and without fanfare that it would be expected that someone in his position give back to the community without always needing a parade float in his honor after he writes the check.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I do not ever want to be famous playing poker, nobody is perfect, not every celebrity can be a squeaky clean Tom Hanks lol...The guy is making millions, (and raised 60 million to charity, just sayin) just do the same your own way, plenty to go around.

Last edited:
Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

I never liked Phil Hellmuth. This is a degenerate.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it OK to like Phil Helmuth?

Hello. It's a good show. Free entertainment. Just watch him play, eat your popcorn and enjoy the free show. Kind' of like watching wrestling if you know what I mean and it works for him.
Dan'o

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling