Phil Hellmuth: A degenerate gambler

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't care how many bracelets this guy has or what he has made financially over the course of his career. Phil Hellmuth is perhaps the most vulgar, unruly, whiny, annoying, arrogant, hypocritical and delusional poker professional in the history of the game. He always seems to be exempt from penalties when playing in the WSOP or other major events since his sponsors and tournament officials seem to always have some incentive in his outcome. This jerk is always berating other players with profanity and criticisms of how they play. He has truly convinced himself that he is God's gift to the poker community, and that he is incapable of any errors, bad plays, and everyone else is an "idiot" or "jackass" that has to willfully be subjected to his abuses every time he loses a hand in the game.

I am so sick of seeing this jackal being given special treatment and exemptions while everyone else has to follow the rules of the game. He has spent over a decade hedging his entry into big tournaments by means of his corporate sponsors and affluent backers. He reaped huge financial benefits while involved with multiple on-line poker platforms that all came crashing down because of scandals. There is nothing that will ever convince me that he was unaware of what his friends and partners were doing during the height of various scandal which he profited from while others lost their money. Hellmuth strikes me as a snake oil salesman who has hidden well behind his sponsors and benefactors. This man may be one of the best poker tournament players in the world, but all in all strikes me as a real shitty and shady human being with a compulsive gambling habit who has no business representing the poker playing community as a whole.

and comes the golden question: what will change because of your opinion? what can you change about this? i honestly started with Helmut too but lost interest as you may know too well why..

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I totally agree with most post's here and think that Phil Helmut is a JERK! Without doubt he is the most obnoxious Poker player in the World, But! Saying that I also find him the funniest and love watching him blow his top when he is on a losing streak.
His antics have given him a lot of air-time on You-tube etc, but as someone once said "all publicity, is good publicity".
People and players who know him on a personal level say he is a real nice guy away from the game, but when he plays, he becomes a Jekyll and Hyde character, and you know he is going to explode when he loses big hands.
I remember one incident when he played Tom Dwan heads-up in a match and Tom raised with pocket 8s and Phil 3X bet with Rockets, Tom pushed all-in and Phil naturally called, and the comments coming from his mouth before the hand was finished, were foul and obnoxious to say the least calling Tom a stupid player and all sorts of derogatory remarks.
Eventually the dealer dealt a dry flop to both players and then the 8 came on either the turn or river card and Phil was out.
I found it hilariously funny, and Phil had to walk the walk of shame. Love him or hate him he still makes good T.V. That you cannot take away from him.:)

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, Phil Helmuth is the Donald Trump of poker. He is extremely distasteful, but you can't argue with the results. :rolleyes:

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil is certainly a divisive character. I just got back into watching televised poker after many years, and, well, he really hasn't changed at all. His performance in Season 8 of High Stakes Poker could've been him 10 years ago.

That said, a lot of it I think is for show and image. He knows what the people want to see when camera is on him.

And to his credit, a year after that match with Durrr in the NBC heads up, he was nothing but gracious before and after the match. He ended up beating Dwan and introduced him to his father after. So I do think he has a sweet side too.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling