How to know when to stop?

MIljanho

MIljanho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to know the right moment when you need to quit the game. And how long breake you need it?

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
your bankrroll management tells you, When to stop and when to continue, it depends on you to be a losing player,

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People who open shove preflop in the first 3 levels of a tournament. To me, one of the main reasons to play in a tournament instead of a cash game is to not just play for like 15 minutes and leave--you want a long, full experience. People who do that deprive themselves and possibly others of that experience and I'm not okay with that!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always stop, when I feel, that I lack patience for the game.
Or, when I have a bad mood, then I do not even start to play.

R

RhoadesHoyle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always stop, when I feel, that I lack patience for the game.
Or, when I have a bad mood, then I do not even start to play.

yeah, losing patience is always my detriment in most games

J

JohnCoffee90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should stop, when you notice that you cannot control your emotions anymore or when you are too tired. At least in cashgames.
In tournaments you should think before you register, if you are able to put up to 8 hours of focus in.

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to know the right moment when you need to quit the game. And how long breake you need it?
Usually I just set goals for the day, for example, to win $ 50, and if I lose $ 30 . I try to stick to these goals every day!:captain:

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you start making mistakes and lose concentration in the game, it's probably time to finish

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stop playing for money when I start to lose and then I take a short break, it's better to take a break and play the next day to not play money, if you play freerolls all the time, why stop, you can play and try to win money and raise a bankroll!

E

Enthusiast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to stop then when you drop a bankroll

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a cash game, I quit when I have burned through between 3-5 buy-ins, depending on how I lost. If I have lost because of unfortunate/unlucky circumstances, I will move up towards 5 buy-ins. If I am losing from playing bad or I am getting very tilted, it is closer to 3.

When playing SnG's, it depends on how I am playing and if or how much I may be tilting. No matter what game I am playing, if I have other non-poker responsibilities, they take precedent over poker.

Comdemn

Comdemn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Play should be as long as you are on the crest of the wave! Winning for example $ 100 in spin and go tournaments in tournaments with buy-in 1-7 $, inevitably there will come a time when you start to lose one game after another, losing $ 10-20 you should stop (in my case this is so)! Always watch your bankroll and do not succumb to negative emotions, cultivate discipline and responsibility!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually stop when i see that i am tired and i start making mistakes and loose my motivation to continue. I usually play one or 2 freeroll MTTs after work during normal business days before i go to bed and that is ok and i like it. During weekends sometimes i try to play 3 or 4 tournaments and i see that on the third i am not so fresh like on the first two and on the fourth i do not play well at all. So for me good physical and mental condition is the key in the decision to play or not to play.

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ideally I would like to have BRM influenced answer to that. Maybe something like 5% of my roll in one day is the maximum I'll play. But I have definitely broken that rule. Trying to stick by it now.

Something that I do very successful now is that if I am not "feeling it" or basically if I am not enjoying playing on a certain day, I'll only play let's say first 4 tournaments I registered for and then do stop playing and do something else.

I am really trying to approach the game in an optimum and effective way rather than in an emotional and gambling way.

D

Denver225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I feel very. tired. I start to lose a lot and make wrong actions in the game then I stop playing this day
It is better to start with a new strength the next day

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hey. If you play very long (distance), then you can answer your question. I used to make stop-loss at 5bi. When I won or lost a certain amount, I stopped playing that day. But time = money. It makes no sense to limit oneself. If you are not upset by failure, then you can play a lot at a good level.

D

domdiego

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stop when I lose 5 games in a row, this is a sign that I have to give a break of hours or days to save my bankroll

shpeko42

shpeko42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What rocks me I'm leaving from game,only when my bankoll 0 ) .I make deposit for minimal money what i can to spend for 1 session)

ingybingy

ingybingy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, its the right time to stop when you feel as if you no longer have an edge in the game or that you feel you are beginning to chase your losses.
One of the most important things to remember is that there is always tomorrow (at least in a cash game).

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When you will do things that make you sorry! Watching the sequences, they are indicators for the time to stop.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you come first in that 15 hour tournament then maybe it is time to have a rest man,
Other games set limits lose maximum win maximum stop easier said then done Doh.

Last edited:
gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should stop when you do not have an edge. Either because you are not playing well, on tilt or the table is no longer favorable because a fish left or a shark sat down.

I

Intars Ozols

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, time to stop comes when you lose the maximum you could had threw away in junk-food or so on.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when your session is making a profit, it's easy to give up, but when you're already losing the desire to get back lost is big and then you can lose everything .
and let's not forget greed is also a tilt