Do you play poker and get distracted?

Z

zc13expert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens to me frequently that when I am playing poker I lose hands or opportunities due to some kind of distraction, be it my son who requires attention, the cell phone or another factor, it is something that despite having years playing I have not been able to control. What do you suggest to me to solve this situation?

That is not to kill my son and flush the cell down the toilet. Hahaha

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens to me frequently that when I am playing poker I lose hands or opportunities due to some kind of distraction, be it my son who requires attention, the cell phone or another factor, it is something that despite having years of playing I have not been able to control. What do you suggest to solve this situation?

The method (time boxing) is about managing your time to do an activity in a fixed period of time so that you only focus on that only and you create a discipline so as not to be distracted.

There is a book written by Nir Eyal called (Indistractable) it is about how to control our attention and focus.

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ideal is to play in the moments that your child does not depend on you or makes you restless. If that cannot be achieved, it would be necessary to learn to live with distraction and be aware of the moment in order to reduce the possibilities that surprise you, even >distracted>

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

i think that you should focus on the game solely. But it very very hard to do it
I try but always something happens and i get disctracted
anyway.....
rgds

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If it happens to me. Usually I am playing with the phone in the mobile application and I am watching TV some soccer game

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally!!!!!!!!........

It happens to me frequently that when I am playing poker I lose hands or opportunities due to some kind of distraction, be it my son who requires attention, the cell phone or another factor, it is something that despite having years playing I have not been able to control. What do you suggest to me to solve this situation?

Finally, someone who knows what I'm dealing with. I too, have that situation going on where I live. I have a wife who is always needy and two sons who always require my attention(4 year old and a 8 year old). All of whom have balls of energy! Also, a mother-in-law with a to-do list waiting for me when she can grab me away from my wife (her daughter). Finally, a sister-in-law who has no volume button what so ever! I don't know how I make money through all of it or how I win a single hand but I do. Nobody even knows I'm playing with real money. I decide to keep it that way.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Big Game Ay Love

Doyle Brunson 500 years old! kk. - :( '- and having fun; difficult game or not depends on your ability to have fun; every moment.:bandit:

PatValShark

PatValShark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess advice would keep on keeping on, to say there is a remedy to natural distractions would be wishful. Just keep focused while you can and learn options for time management and flexibility in attention giving, for me a nod and an "Uh Huh" works wonders as long as they dont ask a pertinent or serious question, lol.

I guess the old adage what dont kill you makes you stronger will apply. Unless you lose your Bank.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in the late hours when everyone is in bed and there are no distraction factors. When my girlfriend talks to me, the phone rings and I play at four tables at the same time I fail on all the fields.

R

richardpro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I sit down at my computer to play, it's a moment just to pay attention to what I'm doing

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

No easy answer here multi-task as best we can as we have responsibilities now,
Being a Father myself of 2 young sons I try to play my bigger more serious games when children are gone to bed as it is impossible just to focus on poker if a lot of things need your attention at home.
Probably irritates opponents unintentionally as your timing out walking back and forward to the poker games but your dependants preparing food for them minding them making sure they are ok and keeping them entertained with toys,T.V,some of your time or whatever should be prioritised before poker.

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when the game goes on break, and if I don't put a five minute alarm, I get distracted by some other App or something and sometimes forget entirely or for 20 minutes that I was even playing poker

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it happens that I can be distracted, of course, and this is reflected in the game, I choose the time to enter the game, completely leaving all my attention on the table.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I can suggest you play at night. Or ask loved ones not to distract you during the poker session. You also need to turn off the phone, I myself put it on silent mode.:)

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend.

You need peace of mind to play this game, you need to analyze your rival and how distracted you will not do it, unless you have a fixed strategy that works for you, that is exactly what I am trying to find. :joyman:

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not get distracted when playing poker. I always concentrate on my game as it helps me to do better. Sometimes I have to not play due to other concerns I have.

Beatlebug

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some times I have been distracted even in Live games, usually my phone would ring, but I learned my lesson fast and always turn it off now when playing a Live game, I couldn't do that when I was a T.D. as I used my phone to time the Blind's, so sometimes it was annoying, but something I learned to live with, Now I just play, the Blind level is someone else's responsibility.
When I play On-line there are even more distractions, Like the Front door bell, or my land line rings, or my wife wants me to do something etc, etc, etc. The list is endless but I manage, and playing Low Stakes is always a blessing because if I had to walk away from the game entirely I am not losing a lot.
I try to keep my Poker games Fun, Money is not my only motivation.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I deliberately give myself distractions in online games for hands I'm not in so I don't get bored and frustrated. In a live game there's always other players to watch.

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my friend has a lot of children, and he often gets distracted by them and loses, he found the right solution found a room in which sometimes he goes and plays, everything is quiet and calm, and the result has changed, he started winning.

C

capo_asl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to be always focused but I don't know how it happens that the phone always rings at important moments. thanks for the silence mode

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. I do get distracted when I am card dead or my ranking is lower. I think I get disinterested and eventually switch on the TV.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's life! I like playing late at night after everyone else is asleep. I do play often with the house buzzing around me and it is very difficult to stay focused. Also seems I can have x amount of bad hands in a row. Step away for 1 minute and return to see my time run out holding a monster. :rolleyes:

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup

I get distracted by others and I don't pay attention to my game and the next thing I know I lost half my stack.:confused:

D

deputat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can suggest you to make multitasking exercises which can you relax and reduce stress or if you get distracted only play when you have time without disturbance