Do you play poker and get distracted?

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do because I mainly play for fun and as a distraction. I know I should change this and focus when playing or at least when playing for money.

For sure my game would improve in that sense if I took it a little bit more seriously.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Obviously there's (always) chance for it to happen since i dont play poker in isolation lol

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either play with your son or play poker.Everything is simple here)))

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that's why i like to play at night

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It has been very difficult for me to have concentrated tournaments since I returned to PS and the club in recent months, distractions take me badly, due to the COVID situation I am living uncomfortable, without having a good internet, a lot of noise, interruptions of different kinds. ..
To play poker you have to be really isolated from all this, unless you play to hesitate, but it is an activity that requires complete tranquility and concentration

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I get distracted very often, and I make a lot of mistakes.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is not only a game of patience, it is also a game that needs a lot of concentration to analyze all your opponents and their plays.

C

coolbrees 9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
def hv either misplay or lose patience wit the distractions throwing off ur mental state

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Well, the best thing you can do is find the best moment you can feel comfortable without any distractions.As some members has suggested , maybe at night is when you could focus all your attention only on the game..Good luck!

1player1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The longer the tournament is, the harder it is to find a quiet space where you can concentrate without beeing disturbed.
Therefore I prefer short tournaments, sit and go or cash tables

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
During the day or in the afternoon I usually play cash games or Sit&Go because of the weather. I usually play long tournaments at night to be calmer and to avoid distractions.

A

adjacentcape1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luckily for you, most of these triggers that cause you distraction are external, meaning that they don't bother you internally, like with cravings or addictions, but they are caused by external events that you can't "control". An easy way to deal with external triggers is to silence/mute the pings and dings. For example, disabling notifications on your cellphone (or at least, most of your non-essential Apps), or telling your son to not bother you for a set period of time while you're playing (unless it's important) can significantly help your focus.

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to give you some good advice. But I'm not the ideal person for that. My anxiety robs me of the focus of whatever I'm doing hahaha. But what has helped me to concentrate more and play more focused is doing it in the early hours of the morning, when I start the day I feel more relaxed and the problems and defeats in life haven't reached me yet hahahaha.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These days I tend to only get distracted when I play for longer periods of time than I initially anticipated.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play poker I try to focus on the game as much as possible.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens to me frequently that when I am playing poker I lose hands or opportunities due to some kind of distraction, be it my son who requires attention, the cell phone or another factor, it is something that despite having years playing I have not been able to control. What do you suggest to me to solve this situation?

That is not to kill my son and flush the cell down the toilet. Hahaha

Yes, sometimes you have to be distracted, as there are chores and calls:jd4::):):jd4:

R

reddfx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The method (time boxing) is about managing your time to do an activity in a fixed period of time so that you only focus on that only and you create a discipline so as not to be distracted.

There is a book written by Nir Eyal called (Indistractable) it is about how to control our attention and focus.

i also have a son & when the kids aren't out of the house yet, it's almost impossible to avoid distractions and interruptions. considering that there's also daily life to coordinate and you're working.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way more distracted online. I want to scroll my phone, go down Wiki holes and watch Twitch. Live I dont even think about my phone.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the distractions. I think it keeps me from calling stupid cards I shouldn't be calling from getting the itches wanting to play. I workout and whatever while playing, usually if I got a carb to rebuild or a transmission to redo i love it, because I know im sit down for 2 or 3 hours and why not play poker while I'm doin it..lol. and don't let my girl get frisky while in a tournament, she gonna be amazed :D. Good luck.

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to be distracted from calling with stupid hands, and keeps me disciplined

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Sometimes it pays to be hard of hearing. It really has to be loud or something I can see to distract me.

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't get distracted while your are on tables manage yourself to be completly free when you start playing no kids around, turning phone off... and get all you need next to you like little snack and water, go to toilet every break... get everything you need to stay focus during the game