Carbon's new HUD/calculator

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone one else running into a problem with the calculator trying to update all the time? I have to move the window way off to the side just to use the calculator itself. When I downloaded the original program it worked fine until it asked for the 1st update. Since that the continual update window thing happening is constantly...

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone one else running into a problem with the calculator trying to update all the time? I have to move the window way off to the side just to use the calculator itself. When I downloaded the original program it worked fine until it asked for the 1st update. Since that the continual update window thing happening is constantly...
Yes, I had to go and do a full download and install and the update issue disappeared!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I can't imagine the other poker rooms on merge would be too thrilled about this move by Carbon (& for that reason alone I personally will consider boycotting Carbon site... even though it'd seem to be counter intuitive).

I think it's a bad move to be providing players with this info. & personally think it'll make many players play differently from how they have been in the past (prolly not as many doofus' calling near pot-sized turn bets with gutterballs). How could it not make the 'really' bad players improve even just a bit?

I was actually going to load up all the $11 & $22 mtt's on Carbon this afternoon & evening (along with other stuff I'm playing). Think I'm gonna take a pass now.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't imagine the other poker rooms on merge would be too thrilled about this move by Carbon (& for that reason alone I personally will consider boycotting Carbon site... even though it'd seem to be counter intuitive).

I think it's a bad move to be providing players with this info. & personally think it'll make many players play differently from how they have been in the past (prolly not as many doofus' calling near pot-sized turn bets with gutterballs). How could it not make the 'really' bad players improve even just a bit?

I was actually going to load up all the $11 & $22 mtt's on Carbon this afternoon & evening (along with other stuff I'm playing). Think I'm gonna take a pass now.

Yeah, this is pretty-much my thinking, too. Others disagree about how much it will actually help the fish, but I think it will undeniably help them to at least some degree. We can bicker forever about how much, but if people seriously think this won't help the fish at all I just think that's plain wrong.

Unfortunately I'm in the US, so not sure what my next move is gonna be. Since they first offered this I have played a whopping 2 nights of poker. Searching for alternatives.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I had to go and do a full download and install and the update issue disappeared!

Tyvm Tbdbitl. Your suggestion seems to have cleared up the issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled most recent version from the site. :)

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never used any tracker or special software, don't jump down my throat - but it was sort of a matter of principle. I think the game should be played (like live poker) with just your own "brain power" - in my opinion it is more "satisfaction" that way.

However I find that I am winning a lot less then I used to (I started playing about 5 years ago) and now starting to suspect that my "principle" is really putting me at some real disadvantage.

So this Carbon tool, is giving me a chance to try this out. I find it real interesting. Mostly I find that there are aspects of my game (I am not a pro) that I was not aware of, or at least not to the degree I see it with this unbiased tool.

To give you some feedback - say I am a fish...
- To start with - it is a bit overwhelming the info to handle
- I think it will improve my game in the long run
Maybe I will invest in a tracker...

Now something I need help with (the real reason I started this post), for some reason the stats displayed for table mated are NOT lined-up with the players - it is OFF - everyone is a number of positions skewed - and the number of positions vary from table to table. Anyone else has/had this problem? Any advice how to fix it?

Of course I welcome comments on any part of the post.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Went to check it out but the page comes up blank :confused:

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the stats displayed for table mated are NOT lined-up with the players - it is OFF - everyone is a number of positions skewed - and the number of positions vary from table to table. Anyone else has/had this problem? Any advice how to fix it?

Yeah, re-read the thread. Specially the last page.

-

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, re-read the thread. Specially the last page.

-

Thanks a bunch - It does work perfectly :eek:

I did read most of the thread before I posted :eek: really, not sure how I missed the answer. (your answer is on page 2 - and quoted on pg 3)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like it. They did something that I have not taken the time to do, make the HUD look good. Looks better than my PT3 hud.

From what I think I am seeing, it is only dealing with our current session. No longer term player data. It seems to create a db on the fly, and doesn't seem to dig into yesterdays HH's. There are pros and cons about that. I have thousands of hands on a few CC regs, but most of those are from 3 years ago, and really, who's game has stood that stagnant?

So what it does is exactly what I have my PT3 doing, suggesting to me how someone is playing today. Nice to know how he might have played last week, or last year, but actually those old stats can skew the big pic.

FWIW, I thought this would happen much sooner, at many other sites.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like it. They did something that I have not taken the time to do, make the HUD look good. Looks better than my PT3 hud.

From what I think I am seeing, it is only dealing with our current session. No longer term player data. It seems to create a db on the fly, and doesn't seem to dig into yesterdays HH's. There are pros and cons about that. I have thousands of hands on a few CC regs, but most of those are from 3 years ago, and really, who's game has stood that stagnant?

So what it does is exactly what I have my PT3 doing, suggesting to me how someone is playing today. Nice to know how he might have played last week, or last year, but actually those old stats can skew the big pic.

FWIW, I thought this would happen much sooner, at many other sites.

Sure old stats from years ago are most likely pretty useless but so are a day's worth from the present.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel that way all you have to do is filter the date,in the HUD.Easy game

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm liking the new HUD. Sometimes I'll read/watch movies etc... while playing (A no-no obviously) games that are not critical. I can actually play by looking at the stats without spending so much time analyzing "well this is the first time he's played in 5 hands, well he's displayed an KQ after betting 3.5bb, etc..." I'll admit the HUD makes it very convenient. I guess i'm having mixed emotions now about how it will help the fish. You all think they'll honestly start studying the stats?

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Worked fine on Carbon for an MTT. Tried Aced and windows crashed a few hands in. Don't know if the odds calculator caused it or not. Anyone else had this problem?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A caution.

This will also work on Omaha tables, but the odds you see are HE odds.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A caution.

This will also work on Omaha tables, but the odds you see are HE odds.

I noticed that. It's crazy. What two cards does it base it's outcome on?

Just weird.

-

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seeing as I play Omaha every so often I'll definitely keep this in mind. Good to know.

Just weird.

-
Very good point... any idea?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm liking the new HUD. Sometimes I'll read/watch movies etc... while playing (A no-no obviously) games that are not critical. I can actually play by looking at the stats without spending so much time analyzing "well this is the first time he's played in 5 hands, well he's displayed an KQ after betting 3.5bb, etc..." I'll admit the HUD makes it very convenient. I guess i'm having mixed emotions now about how it will help the fish. You all think they'll honestly start studying the stats?

Nope.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Just weird.

-

It appears to be the first two cards you are dealt. I base that solely on what I see as my hole cards and what shows in the box that does the calcs.

This could be overcome manually, but it would involve a lot of manual calculations (onscreen option) as in Omaha you are actually dealt 6 seperate HE in those 4 cards you get. So you would need to use that manual calculator to do the other 5 hands. But then since each of our villains also gets dealt 6 different hands, the difference between going up against 5 other random hands vs going against 30 other randoms hands gets pretty damn complicated.

In the time you could wade thru 100 Omaha hands doing these convoluted calculations, you could probably play 10,000 ZOOM PLO games at Stars, a much more enjoyable way to learn the game.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It appears to be the first two cards you are dealt. I base that solely on what I see as my hole cards and what shows in the box that does the calcs.

This could be overcome manually, but it would involve a lot of manual calculations (onscreen option) as in Omaha you are actually dealt 6 seperate HE in those 4 cards you get. So you would need to use that manual calculator to do the other 5 hands. But then since each of our villains also gets dealt 6 different hands, the difference between going up against 5 other random hands vs going against 30 other randoms hands gets pretty damn complicated.

In the time you could wade thru 100 Omaha hands doing these convoluted calculations, you could probably play 10,000 ZOOM PLO games at Stars, a much more enjoyable way to learn the game.

Another thing that makes it more absurd is that the same company which supplied Poker Indicator also offers Omaha Indicator.

And... Poker Indicator direct from the company doesn't even boot up a session in Omaha... All very mysterious.

-

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah, this is pretty-much my thinking, too. Others disagree about how much it will actually help the fish, but I think it will undeniably help them to at least some degree. We can bicker forever about how much, but if people seriously think this won't help the fish at all I just think that's plain wrong.

Unfortunately I'm in the US, so not sure what my next move is gonna be. Since they first offered this I have played a whopping 2 nights of poker. Searching for alternatives.

Carbon has always been out to help the fish. Besides this software they also tell them what their hand is right on the screen. For PLO/O8 this is extremely helpful to most fish that wouldn't have a clue how to read their hands otherwise. Fact is poker sites don't care who wins, they just want more people playing so they can collect more rake.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Weird question... Is there any way to tell at a table if a player IS using a HUD? Because believe it not, it seems like some players who I originally had notes on have actually gotten better lately... As well as a lot less of that AI stuff...

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Weird question... Is there any way to tell at a table if a player IS using a HUD? Because believe it not, it seems like some players who I originally had notes on have actually gotten better lately... As well as a lot less of that AI stuff...

Thank Carbon and their promoting their new odds calculator/HUD. There is no way that I know-of to tell if someone is using one for sure, but assume most people on Carbon are these days. Expect play to improve, especially since unlike just a normal HUD it also calculates percentages/equity/and odds of winning the hand for them.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  1. No at being able to detect players using HUDs or trackers, unless they say so.
  2. LOL at thinking giving a fish a HUD is going to make him a much better player in 2 weeks time. Most fish don't even know how to use them or what the stats mean. I really think you guys are doing an awful lot of hand-wringing over nothing.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
  1. No at being able to detect players using HUDs or trackers, unless they say so.
  2. LOL at thinking giving a fish a HUD is going to make him a much better player in 2 weeks time. Most fish don't even know how to use them or what the stats mean. I really think you guys are doing an awful lot of hand-wringing over nothing.

Its NOT the HUD. It's the fact that it also does odds/equity for them. Even a fish can (most likely) read and many will simply do what the percentages tell them to do. Now, that, in itself, is exploitable, but they will still play better just by reading the numbers that the odds calculator provides them. I really wouldn't have much issue at all if it we're just providing them a HUD.

Poker Odds Calculator