Carbon's new HUD/calculator

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The point is the people that know about the r&r are from a forum or so forth.They are the ones tring to learn,study the game for the sake of getting better.The fish the ones we try to make $$$ off of are not tring to get better.They are stuck in there on little world,not on a forum not reading a book.They have no clue what a hud is,what a vp$ip/pfr is etc.But now they are getting to see how shitty they are playing and it might make them "try harder".
I just don't like it.It's like the site forcing fish to learn!!!**** em

JB nailed it.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And if you don't believe me about the sites allowing it, here's PokerStars policy:

And yeah, there's 105 specifically allowed software products in that list, many of which do the same or even more than this software does. If the site itself doesn't have a problem with it, why should you? Are you saying if Stars still allowed US real-money play that you'd boycott them too?

I am aware that sites specifically permit a wide array of "helper" software. I am also aware that there is a huge difference between permitting it and promoting it.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you saying if Stars still allowed US real-money play that you'd boycott them too?

I am saying, assuming an open-market and competition, that I would search for the site that best fit my needs/criteria. For me, the optimal site would allow HM/PT period. Yes, I would prefer no other "helper" software at all. Give me a HUD, a replayer, and something that compiles a DB on hands I've played. That's all I want/need. If such a site existed, and was open to US cash players, I'd be their first customer.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they should be banned across the board. But that ain't gonna happen.

Knowing that, I would want everybody to have access to one. To take a stand otherwise is kinda Bolshevik if you think about it.

-

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To take a stand otherwise is kinda Bolshevik if you think about it.

You say that like it's a bad thing:p . I think it all comes down to why you're playing poker in the first place. Poker is not and was not meant to be (imo) an egalitarian atmosphere. Are you playing to make money? To be fair? For entertainment purposes? How you answer these questions will likely infleuence your feelings on this situation.

I guess, at the end of the day, my issue is with the site promoting this software. I am aware that it has been available for a long time. I am aware that there is other stuff out there, too. That said, everyone HAS had the opportunity to have this for a long time, assuming they made the effort to actually get it. Now, they need not even make an effort to educate themselves. The site will do it for them since they are incapable of doing it themselves. Can you say "nanny state" ....errrmmm..... "nanny site"?

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

So now even bad players will know about this HUD and can get it for free. They might even then find about about HEM or PT. I hate it when the bad players all get better at once in a big group.

SheldonCooper

SheldonCooper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is pointless if you already have pt3 or hem, which a lot of players already do. As for it leveling the playing field, I really dont think it will . Fish will still be fish. More than likely a lot of them will not know how to use the software properly

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[/QUOT My only problem is the display beneath each player, it interfers with information I need to know,E]

Hover the mouse over the stats , hold down left click and drag to where you want them.
On mine , the stats are 2 or 3 seats away from the player ,
I have to drag them all.

ps. how do I do quotes correctly ?

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[/QUOT My only problem is the display beneath each player, it interfers with information I need to know,E]

Hover the mouse over the stats , hold down left click and drag to where you want them.
Right
On mine , the stats are 2 or 3 seats away from the player ,
I have to drag them all.

ps. how do I do quotes correctly ?
Nope... Right click on any set of numbers and click move clockwise or move counter clockwise, and they all move for you.

Edit: If you had put the text between those two quote blocks it would have been fine. You need a [*quote] and a [*/quote] surrounding the text you want quoted. without the asterisks

-

Last edited:
LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a better way to quote is just hit the "quote" word at the bottom of the post you want to quote, it automatically opens a reply window with the original poster's words, then you add yours at the bottom

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I can tell it only keeps stats on players from the current session. I left one ring table and joined another with a player that was at the table I just left, his stats started all over at zero again. The data seems to stay with each instance of the tracking software. So as long as you move around one table at a time and only have one instance running you are okay.
With their recent update, you can no longer just have the table up and gather data any more. You must actually be in the hands to get the data.

So, in my opinion, since you cannot keep thousands of hands on a player and see those stats, the infomation you are getting may be mis-leading.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ That's the way Hold'em Indicator/Tournament Indicator have always worked, it's a session-only tool. That's why I say it's a poor substitute for a proper tracker. I'm not sure what the claims of using it for "datamining" come from, and I can't imagine how it could be used for that -- the data isn't persisted anywhere.

It's claim to fame originally was simply as an equity/odds calculator. Then they added some basic session stats like VPIP/PFR/AF (and the visual M-zone gauge for the Tournament version). Then they added a few more stats like 3Bet and the HUD. So it really started out as a beginner's tool and gradually added functionality as "beginners" became more sophisticated but still didn't quite understand trackers.

The funny thing is if you pay for it, it costs as much as PT/HM (last I checked, it was like $85 to buy outright if you didn't get it through an affiliate deal like I did). So I expect Carbon must have laid down some dough to license it for a giveaway like this.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't downloaded Carbon's HUD yet but before I do, a simple question: is using it optional like all the others, or does it automatically begin once you start playing there? Asking because you never know these days...

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't downloaded Carbon's HUD yet but before I do, a simple question: is using it optional like all the others, or does it automatically begin once you start playing there? Asking because you never know these days...
optional

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does it matter LM? If you don't want it to start automatically and it does, just ignore it....

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks!

Does it matter LM? If you don't want it to start automatically and it does, just ignore it....

And just overlay it with one of my other HUDs? Just imagine, all that information but not being able to see your cards or the other players' actions.

But the real question of the hour is will it work on Stars Play Money games??!! ;) :D

J/K of course. I'm assuming it only recognizes and collects Carbon data.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lark, since you already have a real tracker/HUD with HM, there's really no point in trying to use this, IMO.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lark, since you already have a real tracker/HUD with HM, there's really no point in trying to use this, IMO.

From all I've read here, and especially what you have said, I do agree.

P

pokerb0t

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not entirely sure why they've made the move to be honest, it's not something that rooms should be actively encouraging, and potentially could reduce some of the real big fish out there, taking away their more profitable players.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not have the Carbon software but I used a trial version of TI a while back and there is a button you can press that will allow you to see all data on a player and not just for the current session. Off hand I do not recall what the button was but it is in there. It is possible that the carbon version does not have all of the same features.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If that's true it must be a new feature since I used the thing years ago. You sure it wasn't just across different tables of the same session?

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not entirely sure why they've made the move to be honest, it's not something that rooms should be actively encouraging, and potentially could reduce some of the real big fish out there, taking away their more profitable players.
Thought, they still need to know what the Date means, and how to use it.
Right

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a better way to quote is just hit the "quote" word at the bottom of the post you want to quote, it automatically opens a reply window with the original poster's words, then you add yours at the bottom

Thanks for this , lol
been wondering about this for ages but never got round to it.
:)

Woohoo! It works !

Last edited:
Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because it tells a player both his chance at making his hand and the odds he is being offered. For some reason carbon thinks it is a good idea to dilute poker even more than it already is due to HUDs (that every player gets on carbon now) . It's a bizzare move and it is just going to lower the edge of players that aren't braindead morons and can actually do mental arithmetic without the need of any assistance.
I don't use software or trackers 'cos I can do the math in my head.
I'm with the above thoughts. I've devoted A LOT of time reading, searching, watching videos, etc. for Carbon to be divulging information that bad/lazy players don't have to work for...

... Right click on any set of numbers and click move clockwise or move counter clockwise, and they all move for you.
Thanks for this as I am trying the HUD out as well to see how it will benefit my opponents...

Poker Odds Calculator