Are you chances of winning better or worse with a smaller field?

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better at smallet MTTs. There is a trade of basicallt when you differ your AFS. Smaller field = more often ITM vs huge field = better ROI, but this = the you will be loosing more in big fields untill that 1 big win for zillions of dollas, and min/mid cashing in smaller fields. I would advise to play smaller fields (like our favourite FR) beacuse it will be less tilting and more of a practice for actually good plays. In addition I think you want to progress as a player and at some point you will be playing 200-500 mtts on constant basis.I do understand (and want) to turnt that 11$ into 25k in sunday storm but what is your realistinc proffit there... 10$-50$?

L

leon_fush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it's easier for me to play tournaments where people are less than 50 to 500 people, I feel more comfortable than in tournaments over 10,000 than I do not know))) I often get into prizes when few people)

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on the payout schedule . I look for the percentage of players that get paid . The better the percentage the better your odds of cashing .

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Way better. Simple math. The less people, the higher chance of winning.

M

mico595

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fewer players have more chance of winning.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If by win you mean taking the 1st prize, then yes, definitely less people=more chance to win. On the other hand, I think that in big fields it is actually easier to just get ITM but far harder to take the whole thing.

K

klada152

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If by win you mean taking the 1st prize, then yes, definitely less people=more chance to win. On the other hand, I think that in big fields it is actually easier to just get ITM but far harder to take the whole thing.
it may be easier to get in the money but prizes for lower places are biger comperd to buy in

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depens more on the player skill level, how you play. and blinds structure.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the more people there are in a tournament, the more likely they are to win it or less ...

my chances are a lot higher in making the money with a smaller field. way too many time have i grinded a large stack for hours to be donked off on the bubble. my life feels wasted playing large fields.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like I tend to cash a bit more in smaller tournaments but would really need to go back and evaluate that.

I think a more telling way to look is the payout structure. If you have a flatter payout structure that pays 15% of the field, you have a better chance to cash than one that pays 10%. Problem is that when you do cash, it is for less profit.

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say, more people means more money but it also increases variance.
MTTs above 500 people is realy hard to win.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Winning smaller tournament are easier for sure and the variance is much smaller than larger tournament. Take a 100 player tournament. You play every day you should win 3-4 of them a year. Do the same with a tournaments with 800 players and you could play 2 years or more before winning one.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your chances of winning the tournament are obviously better with smaller fields. Your ROI will depend on your strengths/weaknesses. Some players are better with small fields, some better with large fields.