WSOP ME Question from a Legitimate Poker Pro

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good for you mate, glad it went well. Hope you get to play in the ME some day. If you get really old, maybe you can afford to just have a laugh and gamble your childrens inheritance at the ME haha :p

Thanks General. If my son is counting on his ol' man's money to survive, he might as well find a good spot to put his refrigerator box over a subway grate on the streets.:)

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that decision would nearly kill me so early in the tournament lol. Ultimately, unless I had another buy in lying around the house, I think I'd have to fold that hand. And then probably regret it for the rest of the tournament. I know it's a favorite, but it's a drawing hand - even knowing that the other person was also on a draw. I think the bad karma of seeing his/her cards would wear on me as well (yes, I know we're not talking ethics here but we all know karma's a b****).

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have also exhibited . What about the ethics of what you're saying . We need to win , and if so do you know the opponent's card is his problem not yours

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting question. I have two answers
Am I properly rolled for this event?
I call

I somehow got in for a cheaper price, or for some reason saved up and spent it all on the WSOP. I still call but close my eyes.

Fwiw, whether or not you are rolled for the event is irrelevant, reason being the money is already sunk. Whether or not you could afford to, you aren't getting anything back unless you make proper plays.

Once the money is sunk, you just have to play and forget the value.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The link is also a way different scenario to the one presented. In the link its all in blind out and after you act, 8 others are still behind. I mean that's radically different.

When you consider this scenario I think some things should be considered

1) how good am I in comparison to the field, if I am a superstar, I can crush and make up the chip differential of not calling in other less variance spots. If I am complete trash at poker and worse than the field, then you have to call cause you would be losing chips in regular spots

2) why am I playing the main event. If you are there to have an experience and enjoy it like a once in life time experience then sure you have to fold cause the risk of ruining that dream is bigger than 75/25.

The double up isn't going to provide a massive boast to your chances of winning but I cant see myself folding cause even though its a marathon, you still need to accumulate chips. If you go in with a wait for a better spot mentality cause you have all this time, you will just waste some of the opportunities that come up.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cant believe still the answers here. Its a call every time.

You can NOT use the argument that a dbl up this early wont help you win - not much will ever help you win except a great run of cards over 8 days, and superior play, plus a ton of luck.

A dbl up on first hand may not help you win but it will greatly improve your chances of cashing for sure! Once you get a chip lead, at this stage a monster chip lead against your table, you can take advantage of all of the players who just want to make it to day 2 (still no money) which is all of the people here who say they will fold.

C

cardmaker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It honestly depends on his attitude and if I think face cards are coming on the flop or not. If he is aggressive and has all the "I am about to go bust here" tells I'll be inclined to call... But, I'll also assess the table and if there are other players yet to act its highly unlikely I do unless I have a read on them. Also, I will judge if its necessary to double up here or if its just going to leave me kicking dust around at the table (it might be better to grind out an above avg stack first in order to facilitate play at the table). I also keep in mind that he's not winning anything if I fold, so I'm not actually losing anything, so its a free opportunity and I hold all the power.

So, no, I won't JUMP at the chance but I will have a solid position if I do count in all the factors.
If its a big tournament I do NOT play it, for one reason... I can double up defensively much better (build up chips with small ball, then play a tight hand vs a misread of an over eager opponent, somewhere near the flop or turn and know I have him beat and that I'll have chips left if he catches a miracle)

If its a small stakes game, I call that without thinking, cuz I ain't got time for it, just put up or shut up.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It honestly depends on his attitude and if I think face cards are coming on the flop or not. If he is aggressive and has all the "I am about to go bust here" tells I'll be inclined to call... But, I'll also assess the table and if there are other players yet to act its highly unlikely I do unless I have a read on them. Also, I will judge if its necessary to double up here or if its just going to leave me kicking dust around at the table (it might be better to grind out an above avg stack first in order to facilitate play at the table). I also keep in mind that he's not winning anything if I fold, so I'm not actually losing anything, so its a free opportunity and I hold all the power.

So, no, I won't JUMP at the chance but I will have a solid position if I do count in all the factors.
If its a big tournament I do NOT play it, for one reason... I can double up defensively much better (build up chips with small ball, then play a tight hand vs a misread of an over eager opponent, somewhere near the flop or turn and know I have him beat and that I'll have chips left if he catches a miracle)

If its a small stakes game, I call that without thinking, cuz I ain't got time for it, just put up or shut up.

You need to re-read the initial question

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is it ethic? is the first question i've made to myself. And the answer was, yes, it sure is. Since every player is responsible for not showing his cards, and im not cheating to see his.
the second question is:
Why not calling a hand that im way ahead of the opponent? the only asnwer i found in the past answers is: FEAR!
Fear and Poker does not fit together, you can ask any pro.
If it were in the bubble it's ok to fold even Aces. But in the first hand?
there's no argument to fold

C

curtly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call with a pair and take the flip. Any chance of me running deep against players a lot better than me requires me to take down pots pre-flop and run good and win flops. I bust out I bust out. I double up first hand and i tweet,
"chip leader in the ME. Buzz"

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you fold with 300 bbs, you would need AA or KK to call that deep readless in a vacuum

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call and i cry if i lose to be honest.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call and i cry if i lose to be honest.

You have to call, if your not making that call knowing your at a 75% advantage, you should not waste your time or $ in tournament play.

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to call, if your not making that call knowing your at a 75% advantage, you should not waste your time or $ in tournament play.

Agreed. If you are not going to call knowing for certain that you are a 3:1 favourite you shouldn´t be playing poker for real money. Much less the wsop ME with a 10k buy-in.

P

psychomethod

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to view this as what I would need to do in order to get to the WSOP ME in the first place based on my financial status now. I would have to:

-set a reasonable goal date
-save lots of money [not just for WSOP but airfare, hotel, food, etc]
-plan the trip
-possibly sacrifice a lot of time with others [skip out on holiday trips, events, etc]

Let say it takes me 3 years of saving, planning, drawbacks due to emergencies , etc for me to finally play in the WSOP ME. So, to be in this situation on the first hand, I feel like I'm risking a lot more than just getting KO'd. Losing the 10K buy-in isn't the issue, but all the time spent preparing and saving to get this point. Is 3 years waiting worth risking as a 75% favorite?

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but that's what I do sometimes. But, if I'm in this situation, I feel like I would fold. Mathematically, it's not the right fold and I agree, but for as a player who waited 3 years to get here and may only play 1 WSOP ME in a lifetime, wanting my experience to be a bit longer in the WSOP ME would play a huge factor in my decision to fold.

R

rafa_camarg0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, This is a best tornament....
But i participate on this tornament only if satellite

In this situation I fold.... my live in tornament is more important to me...

S

Sereda Max

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It not some there Sunday Million on pokerstars. This is Main Event of WSOP! Not for that I participate in such tournament, that in the first hand to take chance to lose all stack with AK. Yes, we can be decently ahead, if for a rival AQ, AJ, KQ... A bit ahead against the hands of type of JTs, 86s, 23, ... To play very unpleasant coin flip against pockets <= QQ. And to feel strongly very far behind against AA, KK. But it's a problem that a rival almost always here it will be exactly AA. Why? The push of 300bb with a very strong hand doesn't make sense - if we will get the call, we will be far behind. Why does a man push aces? He thinks: 'Gave me in the first hand the aces. Obviously some relay, now BB will buy back me with some garbage and I will pour out half of my stack on at an even place. I will push better - suddenly this little fool on BB will make the call - I am an enormous favourite on doubling'.
If in earnest, then it is better to find more plus situations. Such event, Wsop, is better quiet to enjoy his atmosphere, to play against adequate players and to wait while chips will came to your hands itself :D
What was I write, I don't undestand :D Sorry for my English, haha :D :D :D

Last edited:
T

Toomin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. 3 outs pre, depending on the board is big. iF he hits, tears can be drowned by alcohol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Instantly call unless your table is made up of players who are in the majority in this thread... then Fold because you will be able to find a gazillion spots to chip up.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Instantly call unless your table is made up of players who are in the majority in this thread... then Fold because you will be able to find a gazillion spots to chip up.

I almost agree here because you can just go AI every hand after and take blinds until the table breaks.

BUT I would call anyways, and I do not care if it took me 3 years and selling my second born child to get to the WSOPME, its such a favorable situation to put you in a great position to money.

Ive said it before, if you are playing for the experience, well then you will never money and never play the WSOPME again, so I hope you have fun. I am willing to bet though that when you make it to day 2 and bust out before the dinner break you will wish you had this hand again as a do-over.

If you are folding because you think you can beat the field - you are very mistaken.

jscales

jscales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call or Fold

I would fold... I know it is a good hand but what hands are you hoping he has that he is shoving with? It is really early in the tournament and it is a good structure so there will be moments to pick up chips... Flipping that early can cause a lot of frustration.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold... I know it is a good hand but what hands are you hoping he has that he is shoving with? It is really early in the tournament and it is a good structure so there will be moments to pick up chips... Flipping that early can cause a lot of frustration.

Re-read the question, opponents hand is AQ

WSOP