Would u ever fold AA?

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Yes in a sat tourney and I have more then enough chips to get the ticket already. But then I likely would never be dealt AA cause I'd be sitting out and not even watching at that point.

I've debated with myself about the bubble situation with AA. And honestly it really doesn't make any sense to me thinking about it like this.....Does a min cash change anything for me? No. What's goal here? To win the MTT. I doubt I'm folding AA on the bubble given those answers. Also with so many MTT's being KO's and Bounties. Yeah I'm likely never folding AA on the bubble.

I didn't come for a min cash/participation trophy.

Cheers!!!

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only situation folding AAs preflop is when you are getting better odds of winning a ticket in a satellite than playing a hand against players who can cripple or knock you out. The only other time is when min cash is a huge increase in bankroll (wsop Main Event).

AAs is only one pair post-flop so it can be folded.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never preflop, maybe on some satellite, but not in a regular tournament

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
on preflop, no turn on the river, I dropped on the flop, too, it's rare to discard it's hard to discard AA a very heavy card you hardly want to part with it because in poker she is the strongest starting hand sometimes you have to pay with her and you can pay a lot of chips very some person will come in with 22 and catch set 222 and win you and take all the chips so sometimes you have to play very carefully

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many times especially at the bubble of a satellite.

350TMAX

350TMAX

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Short stacked in a tourney (not on the bubble), im never folding AA pre (probably just shipping it all in right there pre flop)....
Crazy preflop action in a cash game? I'm happily 4 or 5 bet shoving pre and being stacked by as many opponents that want to gamble and get lucky there. (Take my money!)
However,
As many have mentioned, there are times when it is 100% correct to fold AA even preflop...
Consider this....
You have no bank roll..... Saturday night freerolls are your only chance to make something happen but they are so damn tough to win........especially at the start.......so much variance............
The hyper fast blind levels and short stack structure make them a heaven for the bingo fish who love playing high variance multiway all in poker constantly trying to win a huge pot by getting lucky with junk... This high variance can be tricky to navigate even even with AA....
Bullets keeps flying from the aggro fish you just doubled up after he called your preflop KK shove and spiked his Q 7 offsuit for 2 pair, the variance of luck keeps punishing...
After what feels like an hour long bloody and drawn out battle of blows, the fish slowly succumbs to the mathematical odds of eventual failure.... a strategical and prolonged gun fight between the surviving sharks and the trigger happy fish soon pays dividends, with the sharks each taking bites out of the villian one a time as there range allows, slowly crushing the fishes weak opening ranges.... Finally after what feels like an eternity, the fish drops his last "suicide jam" in frustration going all in pre with Q4 offsuit this time, before being 3bet jammed on by the player to his immediate left holding QQ.
Action folds to me, I fold 44 face up, The moment is sweet. His Q4 is no good....
At last, the fish is drawing dead.
As the satellite progresses, and the chip lead nears, soon i qualify to one of the prized tickets to the next step, then the next step, then the next....
Pretty soon its late, Hours are spent hours graduating several progressive satellite tournaments starting from a freeroll until finally making it to the final table sat bubble within reach of 1 of the 3 top prizes each a $109 Sunday million tourney tickets....
There's only 5 players remaining, 4th place pays something pathetic like $5......I'm comfortably in 2nd out of 5 just behind the chip leader.
3rd, 4th and 5th are neck and neck with about half my stack each but if i double any of them up i'll be the new short stack....
Once again i get dealt Aces (AcAd) from UTG this time...
I min raise open from UTG, CO 3 bet jams all in, BTN 4 bet reshoves, SB folds and BB (chip leader) pauses for a moment, before 5 bet re jamming all in... I tank for a minute, consider ICM and variance vs 3 opponents, then make the correct decision folding AcAd.
Opponents cards are on there back,
CO has QsQc, BTN has AhKh , BB has KsKc. Flop comes Qh Jh, 9h TURN Jd , river Kd

Ironically every other hand would have crushed me, not typical if i was heads up, but in this case even if i iso shoved pre flop and got called by only 1 other villains... the story would have taken a dark turn there.
Instead 2 short stacks busted the $0 bubble and the $5 bubble and folding AA was +EV $109 no regrets.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop definently not, post flop very probably if the board is monotone with none of my aces hitting that symbol, or when its all connected for a straight draw. Or even worse, both.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the circumstances and situation you are in. Usually not though.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can fold AA in a tournament if it depends on your entry to the final table.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Would you ever fold AA?
In poker, there are situations when fold is the only and best solution :)
.... Of course, a lot depends on what cards we see on the table, but preflop with such a hand is definitely worth playing :)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Several times, But it depends on the situation. If I was chip leader in a game there is a snowball's Chance in Hell I am folding A/A, but I also wouldn't be surprised if I got beaten.
Short on chips and out of position I would have no problem folding A/A if we were close to the Money bubble especially if there was 30 or 40 other players lower than myself all trying to make the money. There are times when you need to stop and think about the consequences of any action you are about to take, If you consider that you could be on the BB and a player shoves all in with just a couple of hundred more chips than yourself, Then folding for so little amount would be stupid, But if the Chip leader was to push all in on the same hand, Why would you want to gamble?
Poker is so much more than a simple game of cards, Sometimes you have to play Strategically at certain points in the game. This would be one of them.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pré Flop never! Post... possibly yes, it will depend on many things

martinoni

martinoni

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Near bubble, If I'm short stack is possible, or when I'm in a freeroll trying to gain a ticket, If I'm near the prize I can fold with no regrets

stampide

stampide

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, in some situations when i see what i already can't win this hand

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Maybe preflop, on the bubble of a tournament with a very flat pay out structure; especially for a lot of money. Money has a depreciating relative value, the more you have of it, the less utility it has.

Ingryd

Ingryd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I only fold post pre flop and it depends on the pre flop

B

bidearm

Rock Star