Worth it to Add-On during break in rebuy tournament?

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really think you should look at what the additional chips will do to your tourney equity.

A couple of examples:

You are the huge chip leader and you have 100,000,000 in chips- then the 2000 chip addon is not worth it because it wont change your tourney equity by much.

Or, If you have 100 chips and are way out of the money and the next closest stack to you has 10,000 - then the addon will not have much impact on your tourney equity.

It really comes down to the cost of the addon to how much you expect to make by doing it.

...I second. Well said.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on what you described, I wouldn't rebuy since it would not significantly help you against the other players.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On BOL the add-on is double the starting stack so it's almost a requirement. If I'm short I won't risk it, if I'm stacked I won't bother, but if I'm hovering around average chip stack I would consider it depending on how many BB it gives.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read posts on CardsChat where some people never Re-buy on a freeroll and others that do, I suppose it depends how lucky you feel or how determined you are to win while you are low stacked.

But really you are feeding the monster.

I mean there is some one on that table that's got a large stack and each time they push with all in it hardly does any thing to their stack and you're faced with AllIn aggression constantly there after.

When you know you're on tilt just move on to a better game or take a break you'll save and be in a better position next time round.

Throwing Chip's at them may only work in a LIVE game lol

Stop when the fun stops or when buy in is more than pay out!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Great advice! Thanks

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me there are only two moments in which I make the re-buy after the first hand to have double my stack (this is when I decided at the time of my registration that I was going to re-buy) or before of the add-on only if I have a good stack

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to play in such tournaments. I do not think that adding a stack using re-buy will change your gaming result. You spend money for nothing.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a lot folks here talking about re-buys but you appear to be taking about an add-on that normally comes at the end of the registration period when re-buys are also ending. I can't say I've seen one with only a 2000 chip add-on. Generally the add ons are a little higher but that being said I always take the add-on. I also take the re-buy at the very start of the tournament. I do both because I'm trying to make the money and, well this is poker, I need a decent sized stack to do that.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, more cheaps more power. So you can keep in tourney. Fight for more cheaps, and on. Just an strategy. Maybe your good in it. So you decide not to buy anymore, you choose.

L

LogyJ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And the most important.... do not do it under the excitement of emotions =)

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy tournament, an hour into it, five minute break, option to add on 2000 chips. Seems like a small amount compared to the amount of chips most people have at this time. I am pretty short stacked here so should I do this?

Rule of thumb for me, if i'm doing well in the tournament i won't addon. If i'm doing really badly but have a chance of still getting into the money, i'll do the addon.

If I'm really doing badly and almost out the tournament, blinds are about 1000 then there's no point using the addon.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really think you should look at what the additional chips will do to your tourney equity.

A couple of examples:

You are the huge chip leader and you have 100,000,000 in chips- then the 2000 chip addon is not worth it because it wont change your tourney equity by much.

Or, If you have 100 chips and are way out of the money and the next closest stack to you has 10,000 - then the addon will not have much impact on your tourney equity.

It really comes down to the cost of the addon to how much you expect to make by doing it.

Your first example is rarely going to be the case. Only a tiny percentage of players have a gigantic stack at that point.

I strongly disagree with your second point unless you have given up on the tournament - and then you should just sit out and not care anymore.

If you still have some fight in you then you should be salivating at the opportunity to add 2k to a 100 chip stack - which would actually give you the opportunity to double then triple up and be over that 10k stack.

If the cost of the add-on is a concern then someone is playing beyond their means - and nobody should do that in a re-buy tournament.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your first example is rarely going to be the case. Only a tiny percentage of players have a gigantic stack at that point.

I strongly disagree with your second point unless you have given up on the tournament - and then you should just sit out and not care anymore.

If you still have some fight in you then you should be salivating at the opportunity to add 2k to a 100 chip stack - which would actually give you the opportunity to double then triple up and be over that 10k stack.

If the cost of the add-on is a concern then someone is playing beyond their means - and nobody should do that in a re-buy tournament.

I tried to use a couple of exaggerated examples to show my point.

I would bet you a CC hoodie that Colin or Katie would agree with me.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Feel free to ask them - but I would be surprised if either of them ever gave it a second thought. Shocked actually.

Give an example that is not exaggerated. :)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Feel free to ask them - but I would be surprised if either of them ever gave it a second thought. Shocked actually.

If I had 100 chips and was way out of the money I would be way better served to use that addon money to play a 10 person double or nothing sng. Then I would have the same tourney equity as the other players, and not wasting more money to be at a huge equity disadvantage.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I also think, you should be definitely prepared to rebuy several times in a tourney, when you play them. The addon is also something, that I would to, when the time comes. But I think rebuying is dependant on your stack size. If you have a healthy stack there is no need to rebuy. If your stack drops down to 20 or less BB, I would rebuy. With a good stack, I just would wait until the addon time comes.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A couple of examples:

First, interesting question, thanks TeUnit for tweeting it to me!

Starting with the second example, Debi is definitely right here. You should absolutely take the add-on if you're down to 100 chips because you're going to get an amazing deal on it in terms of $/chips. The fewer chips you have, the more each is worth, and also you're usually getting a greater number of chips with the add-on for the same dollar investment as an initial buyin. So no matter what the other stacks are, take the addon here.

Now going to the first example, here you bring up a fair point. Normally the add-on is a very good deal. I think most serious players will just always get the add-on because the vast majority of the time you should. But you're right that there are times in theory where you shouldn't. If you have a tremendous stack, the value of the additional chips can be low enough that it's no longer a good deal for you to spend anything more on the addon. Not something that comes up often, and not something I'd worry about too much, but not impossible :)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, interesting question, thanks TeUnit for tweeting it to me!

Starting with the second example, Debi is definitely right here. You should absolutely take the add-on if you're down to 100 chips because you're going to get an amazing deal on it in terms of $/chips. The fewer chips you have, the more each is worth, and also you're usually getting a greater number of chips with the add-on for the same dollar investment as an initial buyin. So no matter what the other stacks are, take the addon here.

Now going to the first example, here you bring up a fair point. Normally the add-on is a very good deal. I think most serious players will just always get the add-on because the vast majority of the time you should. But you're right that there are times in theory where you shouldn't. If you have a tremendous stack, the value of the additional chips can be low enough that it's no longer a good deal for you to spend anything more on the addon. Not something that comes up often, and not something I'd worry about too much, but not impossible :)

Long time no see! Thanks for stopping by and giving us your thoughts - and happy to see we are on the same page with it. :)

Give my love to Katie and the baby!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good job getting Collin in here - might just send you that hoodie anyway. :p

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for stopping in Collin, I always enjoyed your training videos.

Seems like we were both half right.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the addon break the BB is usually around 100 so its 20 BB so its some good value. Also the money for the add ons are added to the prize pool so its just going to make the tournament larger

That is only true in non GTD tournaments (I've never seen a R/A without a GTD), or when the GTD has already been met. If the GTD prize pool has not yet been met, then the money will just go toward that and won't increase the prize pool any.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good job getting Collin in here - might just send you that hoodie anyway. :p

Ya, was pretty cool of him to respond.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'm no Colin or Katie, but I get that your numbers where exaggerated and I don't believe it takes from the validity of your underlying point. Which you summed-up perfectly at the end.

Always and Never, usually a tricky trap :)

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Situational for me.

Stack Size
Players left till money.
Number of chips received.
Last payout amount
How I am playing

Generally if I join a Rebuy Tournament I plan on entry, immediate rebuy and an addon.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're right Smknginmaine on exaggerated examples -- it's often easiest to think about things in extreme cases, particularly in always-or-never statements. If you're analyzing whether it's ever correct to pass on the add-on, it's for sure good strategy to come up with a situation where it would be craziest to take it, even if those types of situations are super unlikely to come up in practice.
And thanks TeUnit and Debi, really appreciate the nice words ... a lot of solid debate going on ITT! Hope you guys are doing well too Debi!

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i almost always do the add on...no matter what...