Worth it to Add-On during break in rebuy tournament?

S

ShealynMillay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy tournament, an hour into it, five minute break, option to add on 2000 chips. Seems like a small amount compared to the amount of chips most people have at this time. I am pretty short stacked here so should I do this?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on level of tourney, payoff

I've only done the freerolls, with add-on, and rebuy. If the money is no big deal to you, it might be worth it, early in tourney, when its usually cheaper to add-on, re-buy. Essentially, buying a decent beginning stack, without the risk of your stack.
Later in the tourney, it's usually a loser, risk/reward: spend a dollar to re-buy, and the ITM is less thna a buck. Re-buy is usually less than the average stack, usually one or two more bets. It would only be worth it, if the payout for ITM is way higher than the rebuy.

Different tourneys have diff payouts, diff how much rebuy/add-on costs.
You can analyze it better yourself, when you see the actual costs/rewards.

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the addon break the BB is usually around 100 so its 20 BB so its some good value. Also the money for the add ons are added to the prize pool so its just going to make the tournament larger

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rebuy tournament, an hour into it, five minute break, option to add on 2000 chips. Seems like a small amount compared to the amount of chips most people have at this time. I am pretty short stacked here so should I do this?

I've read posts on CardsChat where some people never Re-buy on a freeroll and others that do, I suppose it depends how lucky you feel or how determined you are to win while you are low stacked.

But really you are feeding the monster.

I mean there is some one on that table that's got a large stack and each time they push with all in it hardly does any thing to their stack and you're faced with AllIn aggression constantly there after.

When you know you're on tilt just move on to a better game or take a break you'll save and be in a better position next time round.

Throwing Chip's at them may only work in a LIVE game lol

Stop when the fun stops or when buy in is more than pay out!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Attachments

• chip rebuy.jpg
    chip rebuy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 60
Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never do add-ons. It seems like a waste of money. I don't think the small amount of chips you get helps all that much.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate when can add-on chips tournament. It infuriates me. So I don't play tournaments where you can optionally buy chips. If you like to play these tournaments, the buy chips, they will help you.

L

LogyJ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to play so that I do not have to rebuy or addon. Anyway these solutions are unprofitable when it turns out that you pay almost as much as you can win =))))

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never play in a re-buy tournament if I didn't intend to re-buy at least twice if needed and always - always - take the add-on.

Your goal should be to win the tournament - to do that you need every chip you can get your hands on - and eventually need all of the chips in play.

So - as soon as the tournament starts do the initial re-buy - the only players not doing that are the ones who don't know how to play re-buys and don't know the value of the chips.

By not re-buying you are automatically putting yourself in a position of having half the stack of others at your table - not smart. You can now be swallowed up - but you can't bust any of them.

You could get in a monster pot with one of them right away - have the nuts -and you can not get all of their chips.

Add-ons are usually a decent amount of chips - and you should always take them.

I am talking about regular re-buys since that is what the OP seems to be discussing.

Freebuys are a different story - freerolls with re-buys and add-ons.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are really short stacked I would not waste the money to add on as it really wont be worth it to you. If you were a big stack I would not bother as well as you already have a nice stack so how much would it help you. The times I think about it is when I am a mid size stack. If the add on would make you one of the large stacks it may be worth the add on. It also depends on what the buy in gets you. I have seen the add on be more that what a starting stack would be. I also have seen the add on be so small I could not imagine why anyone would bother. Overall I dont do the add on as they aren't worth it to me.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So - as soon as the tournament starts do the initial re-buy - the only players not doing that are the ones who don't know how to play re-buys and don't know the value of the chips.

Debi, You can really do that right away? If true, I never knew that. Thanks for posting this. I have been playing them all wrong then.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on where I am at in the tourney. If I feel I have a fighting chance I may take a jab. It also depends on the amount of chips I get for a Rebuy. If its a True Freeroll I will not rebuy , because I'm essentially rebuying to gain an additionally $4. Hard Pass

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I would, you know everyone else is doing it:0) but if you are up I would let it go and grind it out:0) good luck out there and keep on grinding

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find rebuy tournaments to be a waste of time, instead of being used for a second chance if you get unlucky they are usually full of shove happy lunatics who's strategy is to get a lucky aspossible playing as wildly as possible and they are probably more profitable for the card rooms that the more measured studious players.

if im tempted to play in one for whatever reason, probably a satellite or something I would not rebuy if I make it to the break I might take the add on if its sizable and if the remaining blinds make sense for it

for example if im at 30k chips and the rest at the table are no larger than 12-15 k a 2k add onn doesn't make much sense, even a 5 k add on is debatable but a 10k add on levels the playing field quite substantially so to maintain an edge you take the add on....if you got a 10k chip lead already you can with good play pick off a couple of lower stacked players even if they add on so it wouldt make sense there.

in general pick your rebuy tourneys carefully...they can be a good way to blow through your bankroll with little to show for it.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally I avoid the most possible tournaments with rebuys.to answer your question.I do not think that is a good idea because you leave with a big disadvantage.you will be forced to play aggressive from the beginning to have a chance to reduce Tokenboard. It is possible to achieve this goal but it is still very difficult because it will necessarily need a lot of luck to achieve it.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the addon amount for me. It seems like most will start you with say 2.5k or 3k chips and then offer a 5k addon after an hour or 90 minutes. That's a significant chunk of chips if you haven't built past that, it might be worth the investment in most cases...especially since it seems a majority of players utilize the addon.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Debi, You can really do that right away? If true, I never knew that. Thanks for posting this. I have been playing them all wrong then.

I don't think I have ever played a re-buy where you couldn't do a rebuy right away as long as you still have the starting stack or less.

Gives you a huge advantage. There are always plenty of people playing re-buys who don't get this and don't do it - so be the one who does.

If you normally play $5-$10 tournaments due to your bankroll - then if playing a re-buy it should be $3.30 or less buy-ins.

Practice as low as you can.

Some of my biggest cashes were in re-buys.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really think you should look at what the additional chips will do to your tourney equity.

A couple of examples:

You are the huge chip leader and you have 100,000,000 in chips- then the 2000 chip addon is not worth it because it wont change your tourney equity by much.

Or, If you have 100 chips and are way out of the money and the next closest stack to you has 10,000 - then the addon will not have much impact on your tourney equity.

It really comes down to the cost of the addon to how much you expect to make by doing it.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually don't like these types of tournaments with Re-buy and add-on but if I play I would do Add on only if I'm to short in chips (less than 15BB) cause at the end it goes to the prize pool ... in the begining you have to be careful with those players that go all in with any two cards just to doble and triple up they usually make rebuy until have a big stack you can also take advantage of this but very carefully but in my personal opinion I don´t like the so don´t play them and avoid the as much as possible ...

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. What is the amount of chips that you started with in that tournament? Also, what is your bankroll at that moment? These are things that need to be considered. In my opinion ... if the amount of the add-on is small in comparison to the amount of chips that everyone has, then I would say skip the add on. If it's a large jump up, then I would say to execute the add on. I usually do the ad on. I hope this helps, and have a good day :cool:

S

SkorpiosMC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always enter those kind of tournaments with double rebuys and the addon.
So if i see lets say a 1$R/A i always see it as a 3$ buy in tournament.
You always need to play with as many chips as you can be provided so why not take them?

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never play in a re-buy tournament if I didn't intend to re-buy at least twice if needed and always - always - take the add-on.

Your goal should be to win the tournament - to do that you need every chip you can get your hands on - and eventually need all of the chips in play.

By not re-buying you are automatically putting yourself in a position of having half the stack of others at your table - not smart. You can now be swallowed up - but you can't bust any of them.

You could get in a monster pot with one of them right away - have the nuts -and you can not get all of their chips.

I am talking about regular re-buys since that is what the OP seems to be discussing.

I 100% fully agree, don't play a rebuy if you're not ready to rebuy and add-on , -EV otherwise

Cardschat taught me that years ago, I used to believe otherwise but now I want to win;)

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the size of the minimum payment.
If you have an average stack, then there is no sense in re-purchasing.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By all means add on. Mostly everyone else will too so you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage by not doing so. I think rebuy tournaments take a lot of stamina because the total chips in play are going to be a lot higher than in a single buy in tournament. This makes it take a lot longer to get into the money.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Only thing I will add is that with a very small bankroll just 1 bulleting some low buyin rebuys can be a great stategy as you are putting very little into the prize pool so even a mincash is 5-6x what you've put in, just play it like a sitngo where you play to make the money first- then worry about winning.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The add-on is usually a good rebate of chips for the price. I would do it and it can give you more room to play more hands.