Why are you not allowed to check the nuts on the River if you're last in line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
plz tell me CC hasn't gotten so bad as to having a discussion about checking the nuts on the river...

edit: too late

You can't blame it on CC lol - I am sure you could find people who think it is okay in just about every forum you can find. :p

However... I am a definite non-believer and am so happy I get to play tournaments with some of the people in this thread. :)

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Johnny that WAS my point!

I'm lost...

Yeah indeed, so you are allowed to check the nuts in heads up for hand ranges, yet would be classed as colluding in a game with 3 or more players yet it's being used for the same purpose? Kinda seems a bad ruling just based on that imo.

btw..I also said I checked in other games too..but never received anything from pokerstars saying I was committing an offence ;)

I just think its' a very grey area and it's like well define it more.

Online sites can't really do anything in the moment but if someone reports it you could get in trouble.

I don't see why it's a bad ruling based on that. If you do it a normal game, it looks suspicious and people will wonder why, the likelihood being that you're not stupid or misread your hand, but you're colluding. Of course in HU such an assumption can't be made, people will just think you're stupid or misread your hand.

P

Poker_play

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
General...there is a show button when your opponent mucks river..you have that option lol. Weird.

Dj11...baudib is right on. You're getting zero information about villain in most hands that reach the river that he won't even consider making a play for. If there was any worthwhile action on the flop and turn (any real information to be had)...there is always a chance the villain either calls a small bet or makes a move on the river. Bet every single time.
Not to mention youure probably giving more information then you're getting anyway by showing your cards (that have value)
Lollllllllllllllllll deuces. This might be the dumbest argument (poker or non) I've ever engaged in

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to think you who say never are more gambler than player. Sure there is no gamble in a sure thing like the nuts, but to see it only 1 dimensionally, is a little myopic. After villain fire 2 bullets we already have made profit of the monetary kind, and when he checks the river, we can make profit of the knowledge kind.

These situations do not happen often, guessing that it is less than 1% of the hands we get involved with

Just my opinion, of course, but I think you're vastly over-rating this "knowledge" that you are going to gain in this situation. Also, to gain this knowledge, you surrender an equal amount of knowledge about yourself and your play, so I see no net gain.

Fish ITT.

If your opponent's range is so weak that he can't call a bet on the river and will never check-raise, the value of seeing his hand is WTFminimal.

-- if you can't figure out what his range is in this spot, seeing his hand isn't going to help you. Because you probably can't make any use of this information anyway.
-- for meta purposes, if you know 100% he is going to fold, overbet shoving or min-betting (like $2 into $500 pot) is way better than checking back the nuts.
Completely agree.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
General...there is a show button when your opponent mucks river..you have that option lol. Weird.

Dj11...baudib is right on. You're getting zero information about villain in most hands that reach the river that he won't even consider making a play for. If there was any worthwhile action on the flop and turn (any real information to be had)...there is always a chance the villain either calls a small bet or makes a move on the river. Bet every single time.
Not to mention youure probably giving more information then you're getting anyway by showing your cards (that have value)
Lollllllllllllllllll deuces. This might be the dumbest argument (poker or non) I've ever engaged in

1st youre assuming it was on stars which it wasnt :p was FTP
also if you auto much each hand the button does not come up on stars.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think many players will check down at the river because

They are NOT sure they have the nuts
(Ace high flush with a possible Full house on the board for example)
I mean how often do we KNOW we have the nuts on a hand?

Also the info you get from checking is not really worth it over time especially in cash games

Just my ¢

:cool:

I can see why JB is lost. We KNOW we have the nuts 'cause that was OP's question. You either have the nuts, or you don't. There is no knowing or not knowing if you have the nuts....unless the player is a rank beginner and can't read the board or doesn't understand hand rankings.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does a thread this stupid get 50+ replies??? Closing so no one else has a chance to look like an idiot (at least in this thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.