Why play tournaments?

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ehh... I play cash and tourneys, and I'd have to completely agree with that generalization. I think that there are more recreational players in tourneys - you get a lot more "bang for your buck."

But attract degenerates? Gambling in general attracts degenerates. If tourneys offer more excitement to degens it still offers more excitement to other people too - just in a healthier way :)

Did you mean completely disagree? Note that I'm not basing this on guesses it's my personal experience as well. I knew a tourney regular who literally bet his last dollar (it was a 1k bet) on a baseball game. And this wasn't out of the norm for him. He won that but ended up going bust betting other sports to the point where he had to get a loan from his parents. Also literally 95%+ (that might be an understatement) of tournament professionals are staked and because of the ridiculous variance of tournaments (read this if you have plans of making a living from mtts, it's not pretty: http://www.nsdpoker.com/2011/01/mtt-pros/) generally you get people who think they're really good when in reality they just got lucky to bink something early in their career. But I'm friends with a lot of mtt pros, and most of them have been bust at one point or another in the last few years. I'm friends with a lot more cash pros, and I don't think I know a single cash pro who still beats poker and is broke. In fact like I said I know the one guy who bet his last $1k on a baseball game, I knew one mtt pro who made 80k from tourneys one year and lost 60k in the pit that same year, I've known pros I thought were my friends scamming their backers for tens of thousands of dollars. Meanwhile I've also seen some nasty things from cash pros, but I'm just saying as a huge generality, mtt pros are way more likely to make unprofitable bets with huge portions of their net worth than cash pros are. I have a friend who is almost certainly worth $1 million+ and I've seen play $50/$100nl cash games (with 100% of himself) and he turned down a $100 flip. He literally was cashing in a rack of ~50k at the time and he wouldn't flip for $100.

That said, if I was in Vegas going out for a night, hands down I'd want to spend it with an mtt pro than a cash pro, they're generally more entertaining/fun to be around. But in terms of a long-term friend I much prefer the company of cash pros. Just my personal preference/experience.

This is my rationale- In a cash game one of the biggest factor in the way someone plays a certain hand is how much money they have. For example someone might sit with 100$ at a 1/2 table and have $10,000 bank roll, while another sits with a $500 bank roll, while another is all in with their last 100$. Its all relative and I think it determines the way people play sometimes. In a tournament everyone starts with the same amount of chips and buys in for the same amount of money so to me, its more of an even playing field. Granted this may not be the soundest of logic, because someone may sit at a 100$ tournament with a 1000$ bank roll and not take it as serious as someone who's all in for their last 100$.
Also the payout when you win one of those big tournys is huge. You can turn 10$ into 3000$. How long would it take you to turn 10$ into 3000$ playing cash games?
So you're saying if you are playing a $100 tournament with a $200 bankroll and it gets to the bubble and you have 20bb you're going to make that profitable reshove with 56s? You're going to be able to make the profitable call of the all-in with AJ knowing you're ~60% to win and thus 40% to lose half your bankroll? And I would bet a lot of money I can turn $10 into $3k far before someone else can playing tourneys. Playing the kind of tourneys you'd have to play you'd end up having to get extremely lucky to the point where I'd bet you couldn't even do it in a year, whereas I'm very confident I could turn $10 into 3k at cash games in ~2 months maybe even one month if I ran hot.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bleh - yes, disagree with the generalization, lol. You can tell I'm getting enough sleep these days... :)

But to address your lengthy anecdotal evidence... How is any of that relevant to the question really? Just because someone is personally attracted to MTTs does not MEAN they are a degenerate. For the purposes of answering the OP, it seems a little pointless to even discuss how "most" people are, since the question was about preference for the games, not an evaluation of personality based on game-type.

But that's just my opinion of course.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah idk how relevant it is mods can delete it if they think it's too off-topic, just dakota's comment about liking the big score caused me to think about/post that.

Either way though anyone playing or thinking about playing mtts should read this if they haven't already: http://www.nsdpoker.com/2011/01/mtt-pros/

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a generalization, but I think cash pros tend to understand that they mostly make their livings from weaker players, which makes it very important not to drive them away by being unpleasant at the tables. Any time weak players get up and leaves before they normally would have, it costs the pros some +EV. And the lost EV can become very substantial over time if the weak players decide not to play with them any more.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah idk how relevant it is mods can delete it if they think it's too off-topic, just dakota's comment about liking the big score caused me to think about/post that.

Either way though anyone playing or thinking about playing mtts should read this if they haven't already: http://www.nsdpoker.com/2011/01/mtt-pros/

+1 to reading that blog post btw - I've run into it a few times in the past, and while it has never made me want to quit tourneys altogether, I know that if I ever were to try to make a considerable income from poker I would definitely MIX cash games and tournaments.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played a LOT of live tournaments - run into a lot of recreational players but not too many degenerates.

I have played just a little live cash - the percentage of rec players might be smaller but not by loads. (but haven't played enough to judge).

Degens are in both.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games bore the hell out of me. I find tournaments to be more exciting. I also like the prospect of a big cash - not working my ass off to win small amounts at a time.
This exactly for me. I find I am profitable when I play cash live but it becomes a grind. Tournies never feel like a grind for me.

I also like eliminating people from my table ... it gives me more satisfaction than just taking their dollars :)

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am really new but so far I like playing tournaments. It is kinda exciting when you make it to the place where you are going to win money and then thinking about how you might win more and maybe if you are lucky you might win it.
For me it is fun and that is why I play them.

otari

otari

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games are my favorite, but playing tournaments that fit with your bankroll are fun, and a good way to make alot of money.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why play cash?
It's a better fit for some people's personalities, styles, etc. It can also be more profitable and/or lower variance. And some people just like it more.

quintass

quintass

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 4 reasons why I prefer tournaments over cash games.
(1) more bang for your buck (2) relatively cheap to enter (3) a higher chance of cashing (4) a larger percentage of weak players at the tables

:D

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont have the time to grind out hours upon hours of cash games to see a small profit. I'd rather use SnG's to fund my MTT's and shoot for the bigger score of a final talbe of a big MTT.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love how people are talking about tourneys being faster bankroll builders when the reality is it's very possible for very good tourney players to have losing YEARS. gl building a bankroll when you can lose over an entire year due to just bad luck.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love how people are talking about tourneys being faster bankroll builders when the reality is it's very possible for very good tourney players to have losing YEARS. gl building a bankroll when you can lose over an entire year due to just bad luck.

I assume people are also including sng's where there is lower variance.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah but you're also not gonna bink a huge score which seems to be why people are saying they like tourneys > cash in the first place.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash games bore the hell out of me. I find tournaments to be more exciting. I also like the prospect of a big cash - not working my ass off to win small amounts at a time.

That about sums it up for me.

B

Brazilian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play more tournaments and SNG , for me play cash is to earn money and the tournaments in addition to being able to win a lot of money are much funnier than the cash tables, by the number of different situations that you're as it moves into the tournament.