Why play tournaments?

I

Iselo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This question is directed to you who exclusively play tournaments and/or SNGs: Why do you prefer tourneys/SNGs to cash games?

C

CANDYMAN1414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer them to cash games because I feel there is less pressure on me. I dont know why but it does. If you are the type of person that likes instant gradification then cash games are for you, but I think if your game is on point .. tournements are the way to go. More play for the money also. Helps protect your bankroll .. unless its a rebuy/add-on which I tend to stay away from. To many push on anything idiots.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personal preference. I like the more competitive feel of a tournament and also the evolving strategy as blinds change and you get closer to the bubble.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Prefer the structure. Strategy constantly changes, plus giant payday compared to investment.

I

Iselo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your replies. I'm asking to get some confirmation on what I've heard from a few professional poker players who says that "this is where the money is nowadays". Because the poker boom a few years ago brought lots of players to the cash tables and the cash palyers that are left today are the really skilled ones (well many of them anyways). What do you guys think?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash games bore the hell out of me. I find tournaments to be more exciting. I also like the prospect of a big cash - not working my ass off to win small amounts at a time.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your replies. I'm asking to get some confirmation on what I've heard from a few professional poker players who says that "this is where the money is nowadays". Because the poker boom a few years ago brought lots of players to the cash tables and the cash palyers that are left today are the really skilled ones (well many of them anyways). What do you guys think?

Depends on what you mean by "money" tbh.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games bore the hell out of me. I find tournaments to be more exciting. I also like the prospect of a big cash - not working my ass off to win small amounts at a time.

+1 Cash games put me to sleep.

I

Iselo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you mean by "money" tbh.
The players I've talked to mean that if your aim is to become really good and possibly even play professionally one day you should go for tournaments bc the competition is softer in tournaments than in cash games. Your chances of getting ahead are a lot better in tournament play.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand that, what I meant was it depends on how much money seems like a lot to you. E.g. I'm a student so 500 quid a month seems like a lot to me because my living expenses are tiny; but to a man with a wife and kid it wouldn't be enough.

I

Iselo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand that, what I meant was it depends on how much money seems like a lot to you. E.g. I'm a student so 500 quid a month seems like a lot to me because my living expenses are tiny; but to a man with a wife and kid it wouldn't be enough.
Well the players I've talked to make well over 10k usd a month, some months more and some less ofc, but that's the range they're talking about. 500 quid is a lot to me too at this point but if I there is any chance I could get to their level in a few years I definitely want to take their advice. But they started playing during the "boom" so maybe the lower limit games have changed since then so I'm looking for some more newer players to confirm this. I'm thinking that they wouldn't know what the players at the lower/mid level tables are like today if they started while there was still plenty of fish at ther low limit tables.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to find out what's more profitable **for you**. This is far more important than what's more profitable for people in general.

MTTs, SNGs and cash are all best for different people. If your personality is equally suited for all three, that's fortunate for you. But it's far from automatically correct to assume it's so.

If you are equally capable at all three, I'd guess cash games would be most profitable. It's an anecdotal example, but let's assume Phil Ivey is the best tournament player in the world and the best at cash games. When the wsop is on, he'll only play most of the events if he has large side bets going. Otherwise, he'd rather play cash.

The most likely reason is that his EV is higher. Take a $5k event. If we assume his ROI is a very healthy 200%, he can expect to make $10k. That's dwarfed by the amount he can expect to win in the same amount of time playing cash.

I

Iselo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to find out what's more profitable **for you**. This is far more important than what's more profitable for people in general.

MTTs, SNGs and cash are all best for different people. If your personality is equally suited for all three, that's fortunate for you. But it's far from automatically correct to assume it's so.

If you are equally capable at all three, I'd guess cash games would be most profitable. It's an anecdotal example, but let's assume Phil Ivey is the best tournament player in the world and the best at cash games. When the WSOP is on, he'll only play most of the events if he has large side bets going. Otherwise, he'd rather play cash.

The most likely reason is that his EV is higher. Take a $5k event. If we assume his ROI is a very healthy 200%, he can expect to make $10k. That's dwarfed by the amount he can expect to win in the same amount of time playing cash.
Thanks for your input, this was helpful!

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This. Especially online where cash games are uber nitfests.

D

deeshark420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tournament play

i play tournaments more because there is alot more chance involved getting to the money and it helps me to stop making the same mistakes over again.im still keeping track of those and i do make alot of mistakes in my game.tournaments are plaayed way different than a cash game like one person said on here instant gradification or not feeling rushed its a preference.good luck whatever you play.:jd4:

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Nothing against you, but this is the reason why I've found most cash players are much nicer people in general. Tournament regulars generally are in it for the big score whereas cash players are generally in it for the long-term game theory strategy aspect. The other factor is a lot of tourney regulars are people who won a tourney early in their career and make the mistake of not realizing luck is as big a factor as it is. This is also far more conducive to scamming.

Not to say that most tournament regulars aren't perfectly good people and not to say there aren't cash players who are scumbags and scammers, but just my general perception of them are that tourney players are generally more degenerate gamblers and cash players are more likely to be the math-heavy basically computer nerd types.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play live MTTs so far, but not cashing yet means I am going to try cash games.
I play the MTTs for the big cash possibility plus I get my money's worth playing for hours. I don't just play poker to win money. I also enjoy playing.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing against you, but this is the reason why I've found most cash players are much nicer people in general.
Bizarre generalisation, imo. Debbie is good people and I am alright on a good day. ;)

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah that's why I said specifically not her (and that most are good people), it's just generally that tourneys attract degenerates and cash games attract people who love math/logic/strategy games. I'm also biased because I play cash ;)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah that's why I said specifically not her (and that most are good people), it's just generally that tourneys attract degenerates and cash games attract people who love math/logic/strategy games. I'm also biased because I play cash ;)

Ehh... I play cash and tourneys, and I'd have to completely agree with that generalization. I think that there are more recreational players in tourneys - you get a lot more "bang for your buck."

But attract degenerates? gambling in general attracts degenerates. If tourneys offer more excitement to degens it still offers more excitement to other people too - just in a healthier way :)

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cash vs tournys

This is my rationale- In a cash game one of the biggest factor in the way someone plays a certain hand is how much money they have. For example someone might sit with 100$ at a 1/2 table and have $10,000 bank roll, while another sits with a $500 bank roll, while another is all in with their last 100$. Its all relative and I think it determines the way people play sometimes. In a tournament everyone starts with the same amount of chips and buys in for the same amount of money so to me, its more of an even playing field. Granted this may not be the soundest of logic, because someone may sit at a 100$ tournament with a 1000$ bank roll and not take it as serious as someone who's all in for their last 100$.
Also the payout when you win one of those big tournys is huge. You can turn 10$ into 3000$. How long would it take you to turn 10$ into 3000$ playing cash games?

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cash vs tourny

One thing that keeps poker fresh for me is the ability to switch games whenever I want. If I get tired of tournys I can play cash. If I get tired of playing cash, I can play a sit and go. If I get tired of holdem I can play omaha. There's so many variations of poker. Mix it up and it will never get old, and you will begin to master all aspects of the game.