Why now many players bet preflop only x2bb in the first phaze deep tournament?

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hi. I wonder why now so many players bet in the early phaze of the tournament bet preflop only x2bb? Sometimes I treat such plays as a limp. I don't like this. There used to be a rule of adjusting the stack size to the tournament phase. In the early stages of the tournament, the bets were preflop x3b or x4bb. In the later phases x2.5bb and in the final phase of the tournament and at the final table then x2bb. In high buy-in tournaments when no deep, some x2bb. Today I see that a lot of players even at the beginning of the tournament break preflop for only 2bb in any tournaments. Have they watchhed too many professional players play this way at high stakes; strategy chaned?

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I wonder why now so many players bet in the early phaze of the tournament bet preflop only x2bb? Sometimes I treat such plays as a limp. I don't like this. There used to be a rule of adjusting the stack size to the tournament phase. In the early stages of the tournament, . . . . .
Hi. Do you mean there used to be a rule in betting sizes in accordance to the tournament phase? Unfortunately, I haven't heard of such. I wonder what is the purpose of such rule? Or would you mean just your observation that there was previously a betting trend that changed? If it is such, why don't you like the change?

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
My guess is that they just press the "raise" button which has a x2 BBs raise set as size.

For other sizes, they need more clicks/ costumize the buttons and they're just lazy. 😅
That would make sense. :D
Hi. Do you mean there used to be a rule in betting sizes in accordance to the tournament phase? Unfortunately, I haven't heard of such. I wonder what is the purpose of such rule? Or would you mean just your observation that there was previously a betting trend that changed? If it is such, why don't you like the change?
Imo playing in the early phase of a x2bb tournament doesn't allow you to achieve optimal value from the game. At the beginning of the game our stack is more deep, thanks to more bb than in the later stages of the game. Also, playing x2bb early in a tournament is no different to a buggy limp call for me, and is often invited to call players with junk cards. The preflop play is different in tournaments where the blinds change and in cash games where the blinds are fixed. Often players also transfer the play style from cash games to tournaments, which for me is a mistake and allows quick easy recognition of a beginner player.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
they probably don't understand that they have deep stacks and play according to the standard 2xbb and I think that's right, probably their logic is either they are so lazy that they are too lazy to move the slider, but what you wrote is a very correct action in the game so I think many people will listen and play correctly

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I wonder why now so many players bet in the early phaze of the tournament bet preflop only x2bb? Sometimes I treat such plays as a limp. I don't like this. There used to be a rule of adjusting the stack size to the tournament phase. In the early stages of the tournament, the bets were preflop x3b or x4bb. In the later phases x2.5bb and in the final phase of the tournament and at the final table then x2bb. In high buy-in tournaments when no deep, some x2bb. Today I see that a lot of players even at the beginning of the tournament break preflop for only 2bb in any tournaments. Have they watchhed too many professional players play this way at high stakes; strategy chaned?
Hi, it is like the many limps and limp behinds that are happening in today's poker games.
But there are no "fixed rules" for making a raise, those 3bb+ 1 bb per limper are recommendations.
These 2 bb raises are not fish or flesh and perhaps they do it with really strong hands to trap the later players,
or they are not aware of the strength of their hand.
Perhaps they have no g ( n ) uts, or they want to see the flop cheaply with a mediocre hand and have a look how the hand connects to the flop.
It is a way to see a flop cheaply, relatively often in early stages. It's 🤪 play imo.

martinoni

martinoni

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is a pattern so that if you have your best range or not you don't show it to your opponents

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are right to just treat it as a limp and play accordingly.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the beginning of a Deep tournament, I think it's bad to do that, because people risk more, but 2x later on is a good strategy for anyone who wants to raise the person back All in!(y)(y)

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes this 2xBB or min raise seems to be the latest fad in newbies betting, I always thought that part of the reason for raising was to reduce the number of opponents and a min raise rarely forces any out. I still play old school (most of the time) if I am raising pre flop it is 3BB + 1 for every player in, I do break this habit if I hold QQ or better in which case I will use the min raise hoping to catch a few..

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it doesn't really matter how much you bet 2bb or 3bb, you won't put pressure on your opponent with this bet, especially at the start of the tournament when all the players have a lot of big blinds and if the opponent decides to enter the pot he will enter and One blind won't stop him! But with a small bet you save your chips, the minimum bet allows players to play more hands without losing a lot of chips if you lose, and if you hit the flop well, you can increase the pot by playing aggressively! !!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think it doesn't really matter how much you bet 2bb or 3bb, you won't put pressure on your opponent with this bet, especially at the start of the tournament when all the players have a lot of big blinds and if the opponent decides to enter the pot he will enter and One blind won't stop him! But with a small bet you save your chips, the minimum bet allows players to play more hands without losing a lot of chips if you lose, and if you hit the flop well, you can increase the pot by playing aggressively! !!
Fair enough, but you have to consider that when they play x 2bb I can 3bet them cheaply and wider and test their hands. When I play x3bb or 4bb preflop their 3bet is expensive and they will do so man with a tight range.

Last edited: