When one should move from freerolls to paid tourneys??

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
if you feel comfortable you can start investing with a deposit, but keep playing the freerolls, I think that with that you can balance if you have loss in the tournaments and you can even get more profits, usually if I want to play a tournament I try to collect that money in the freerolls

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I would start with micros and low stakes buy ins as well as your freerolls. You sound experienced and skilled enough to play real money at this point.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can build a bankroll from nothing and work off of that it will be much more gratifying than if you just pump quarters into the machine.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have won some money in freerolls there’s nothing better than taking that money and giving a real money tournament a shot and winning. The next level of tournaments is going to be a better quality of play but you will not be overwhelmed if you have been successful in the freerolls. There will be players that take the game more seriously than just shoving any 2 cards all in. You may actually learn more too. Good luck.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you can afford it I would make a deposit on the site of about 100 buy ins. Pick a level you are comfortable with and can afford to loose. This will give you the chance to play for real and see what you can do. Free rolls can be great to start with but playing for money will be the true test, Best of luck to you.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you're going to leave something that you're profitting from (investing - stock market) & thinking of continuing to play online freerolls??? huh?:confused:

I deposited money to two poker sites the very first day I chose to play online (I didn't know about 'freerolls' & even if I had, I still would've deposited money to play). I actually can't imagine not depositing money to play. I'll play the occasional freeroll on CC but the difference in the game is pretty huge. Freerolls (even the CC freerolls.... or maybe especially the CC freerolls?) are FILLED with people who don't have a clue what they're doing. To play vs. this type of player it is typically level 1 thinking stuff (boring & not much to grow from).

If you're planning on playing full-time for 4mos. and you have money... why wouldn't you make a deposit??

I agree and disagree with what Poker Orifice wrote..

I agree that something sounds fishy lol that you have a good job and just "take a leave" for some unknown reason. Leaving a job that is guaranteed money for something as unsecured and risky as poker for whatever reason.. I agree and mimic what Poker Orifice says about depositing, but I would add that you should include what your bankroll is.. like if you have saved let's say $10,000 and want to give poker a shot for 4 months and see if you come out profitable then taking shots at the $16.50 PKO's would be a good idea. playing something like 8-10 tourney's a day making sure not to play any tourneys above 50$

The part I disagree with Poker Orifice on is the "HUGE" difference in play between CC freerolls and Low stakes buy in games. I have had tables in the CC freerolls that had better play than some of the $1,000,000 Gtd tournaments I've played in, I've also had some tables in the CC freerolls that have atrocious play, vice versa I've played in mid stakes games with attrocious play and great play. I don't feel it's as HUGE of a difference as Poker Orifice is stating.

Also as far as playing against level one thinkers it's a good thing (for your bankroll) IMO... Yes metagame is fun and helps in the growth of the game but if you open your mind you can learn from even the worst of players. Knowing how to beat the typical player type that play the game and stakes you play most is more important than having a perfect GTO based strategy.

Back to what I don't understand from OP, if you're talking about trying to only use free roll winnings are you talking about the free roll winnings that you said that you have already cashed out? if so how much is that? and that would still be considered a deposit... Or are you talking about playing a freeroll and then using that money to jump into a game? If that's the case you will waste most of your 4 months off trying to build a starting roll...

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, my strategy is to keep playing freerolls until I'm properly rolled (ish, 100 buyins) for cash tournaments and then start small.

After 3 weeks I'm at $7; when I hit $11 I'll be rolled for the $.10+.01 buyin MTTs (and keep playing freerolls), until I hit $25 and can start $.50 sit-n-gos, etc. If I start losing money, I'll go down in stakes (and will switch back to freerolls if I get down to half my bankroll when I start playing cash games at $11).

I could afford to just deposit $25 - but where's the fun in that? : )

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree and disagree with what Poker Orifice wrote..

The part I disagree with Poker Orifice on is the "HUGE" difference in play between CC freerolls and Low stakes buy in games. I have had tables in the CC freerolls that had better play than some of the $1,000,000 Gtd tournaments I've played in, I've also had some tables in the CC freerolls that have atrocious play, vice versa I've played in mid stakes games with attrocious play and great play. I don't feel it's as HUGE of a difference as Poker Orifice is stating.

I've played in CC games for over 10years. I watched them go from $3 to $10 'cash-added' tournaments & large-field freerolls (sometimes over 1,000 entrants) to what they are today. Years ago (pre Black Friday) there were a large number of good players in them. Today I see mostly freerollers with the large percentage of them being pretty terrible at the game. This isn't just my observation (I don't just talk to myself).
I guess you've played a bunch of them though & I'm assuming must have a good number of these other games to compare them with (the mid-stakes & $1mill gtd.'s). I mostly only play micro-Low stakes MTT's online these days (when I play MTT's which is rare) so perhaps I just end up on tougher than avg. tables or maybe I'm even worse than I think I am & can't even tell the difference anymore.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree and mimic what Poker Orifice says about depositing, but I would add that you should include what your bankroll is.. like if you have saved let's say $10,000 and want to give poker a shot for 4 months and see if you come out profitable then taking shots at the $16.50 PKO's would be a good idea. playing something like 8-10 tourney's a day making sure not to play any tourneys above 50$

So you're suggesting it'd be wise for OP to deposit $10k (if he's saved that) and then play 8-10 tourneys a day?
Firstly, it sounds like OP has ONLY played freerolls up to this point. Personally I would STRONGLY recommend for them to NOT play at that buyin level when starting out because they will most likely get completely crushed!
But, IF they did have enough experience to play at that low stakes $16 level, why would they be sticking to 8-10 tourneys per day? Anyone I've ever heard of in my life who is grinding a $10k bankroll online in MTT's is typically playing 10-14 mtt's at a time & might be registering to 40+ per day.

I didn't suggest for OP to follow this route, what I meant was >>> Put some money on the site. Give it a try. Put down $500 and try playing $2 to $5 buyin MTT's and then take it from there. 888Poker may be a tad softer than some others, but a new player (or one who's only played in Freerolls) is going to get owned in $16 buyins (do they even have $16's on 888? I haven't played there in a few years but am pretty sure it's $22's on there.... or $12's... or $5's). On partypoker an 888poker freeroller would get owned in the $5 mtt's. (imo)

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played in CC games for over 10years. I watched them go from $3 to $10 'cash-added' tournaments & large-field freerolls (sometimes over 1,000 entrants) to what they are today. Years ago (pre Black Friday) there were a large number of good players in them. Today I see mostly freerollers with the large percentage of them being pretty terrible at the game. This isn't just my observation (I don't just talk to myself).
I guess you've played a bunch of them though & I'm assuming must have a good number of these other games to compare them with (the mid-stakes & $1mill gtd.'s). I mostly only play micro-Low stakes MTT's online these days (when I play MTT's which is rare) so perhaps I just end up on tougher than avg. tables or maybe I'm even worse than I think I am & can't even tell the difference anymore.

As far as the CC freerolls go I haven't played that many maybe 8-10 I've profited $86 and have 2 wins. It may have gone down hill from what it was years ago.... I wouldn't know... I'm somewhat new to CC but I know compared to other free rolls CC has the better play by far. As far as the other tournaments low stakes-high stakes that's all I have played I have 20 years worth of play ranging from free rolls all the way up to $1800 buy ins. I only started playing free rolls for challenges recently over the last few months. The skill does go up in higher buy in tournaments that is def. not what I'm saying, my point is that you are going to get bad play at every level. I wouldn't call it a HUGE difference I would just call it a slight difference. So I guess in a way I don't disagree with your post just had a slightly different opinion on the wordage. I've seen a lot of your posts and respect your opinion, so I def. wouldn't say you're worse than you think haha although with poker becoming more and more difficult each day, we all might be lol from what I've seen in my short time in the forum you def. have some of the best content to offer and I enjoy reading your posts.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There were pretty much good advice above, but also keep in mind: people who play freerolls and others who play cash tournaments are not the same ones. Higher buy-in - less fish players :)

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think if you regard to make a deposit after all that experience on freerolls, maybe a deposit is not a good idea. I really recomend a coach, a mentor.
Level 115! lol... someday I reach it, I am a 38 level yet.

Hi Pals
I play on 888 only. I play lot of freerolls as I am at level 115. I am playing online poker since August 2015.
I have had an experience of few deep runs and few tourneys wins too in these freerolls.

I earn my livelihood from Stock market and I am a successful Investor cum trader.
I am going to take a temporary leave from stock market from December to March 2019.
So, I am free to give all my attention towards poker in next 4 months.

Now, my question is Should I focus on paid tourneys like Big fish tourneys and PKO tourneys along with freerolls?

Should I deposit to play these tourneys or Should I use my freerolls winnings to play the paid tourneys?
I have already withdrawn my winnings from my account.

Kindly Guide me.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you're suggesting it'd be wise for OP to deposit $10k (if he's saved that) and then play 8-10 tourneys a day?
Firstly, it sounds like OP has ONLY played freerolls up to this point. Personally I would STRONGLY recommend for them to NOT play at that buyin level when starting out because they will most likely get completely crushed!
But, IF they did have enough experience to play at that low stakes $16 level, why would they be sticking to 8-10 tourneys per day? Anyone I've ever heard of in my life who is grinding a $10k bankroll online in MTT's is typically playing 10-14 mtt's at a time & might be registering to 40+ per day.

I didn't suggest for OP to follow this route, what I meant was >>> Put some money on the site. Give it a try. Put down $500 and try playing $2 to $5 buyin MTT's and then take it from there. 888Poker may be a tad softer than some others, but a new player (or one who's only played in Freerolls) is going to get owned in $16 buyins (do they even have $16's on 888? I haven't played there in a few years but am pretty sure it's $22's on there.... or $12's... or $5's). On Partypoker an 888poker freeroller would get owned in the $5 mtt's. (imo)

First off there is A LOT of assumption in all of this because OP is not detailed about anything. In my mind if someone is willing to leave their job to take a shot at making a poker a career then they are secure enough in their game to play at mid stakes. I pulled $10,000 out of the air because I couldn't see OP seriously attempting this with anything less. I obviously wouldn't expect the entire $10,000 to be deposited but to have that roll available for variance. They could deposit per tournament.. wouldn't be smart IMO because of fees but whatever that's irrelevant however they would want to do that part is on them. 8-10 tourney's a day again the minimum amount they could play 100 a day if they were able I'm operating from 0 information from OP trying to give bare minimum help.

I didn't suggest for OP to follow this route, what I meant was >>> Put some money on the site. Give it a try. Put down $500 and try playing $2 to $5 buyin MTT's and then take it from there.

You have just taken the same idea we both have and the only difference is instead of you assuming he has a $10,000 bankroll you are assuming he has a $500 bankroll

I wasn't aware that OP only played freerolls up to this point.. I was under the assumption anyone leaving there job to take a shot at poker would already have results at mid to low stakes. at least a win rate of AT MINIMUM 3-5bb/100. Therefore I agree if they are just starting out they shouldn't play at this level.. but I still haven't heard any solid response from OP why they are leaving and what their skill level is. So all assumptions

As stated earlier already every suggestion was a MINIMUM. It doesn't seem like we are far off it just seems like neither of us no what the OP is looking to do, and at what bankroll they are looking to operate on. If we could be given these answers we would be able to come up with a similar suggestion I have a feeling.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the means to deposit then I would switch to real money asap. You will get into bad habits and false sense of skill playing freerolls. People call you off lighter in them so it's much easier to build up nice stacks and bubble play is even tighter since most people are really wanting that min cash from zero.

If not then just keep grinding the freerolls and taking shots at real money tournies when the bankroll allows.

Good Luck

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Define your ITM - after winning money, you will receive a prize pool in freerolls, sometimes it’s time
rise. If you want to invest, that's a different song.

S

Sccrply

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I win freerolls and use that to play in other games... If you want to move out of this mode then set yourself a limit to deposit so you won't break your set budget.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally freerolls are a waste of time.

They are designed to draw people to sites. The quality of play is low and it becomes easy to develop bad habits which can be effective with freerolls but won't be in regular games.

You are also wasting a lot of your time for very little reward. I could play hours in a freeroll to win 5.00 or pay a dollar and spend the same amount of time winning 300.00.

Make a 25.00 deposit and see how you do in games 3 dollars or less.

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls can be a waste of time but that's what running multiple tables are for. cashing in them shoud be used for playing "real' mtt's

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Pals
I play on 888 only. I play lot of freerolls as I am at level 115. I am playing online poker since August 2015.
I have had an experience of few deep runs and few tourneys wins too in these freerolls.

I earn my livelihood from Stock market and I am a successful Investor cum trader.
I am going to take a temporary leave from stock market from December to March 2019.
So, I am free to give all my attention towards poker in next 4 months.

Now, my question is Should I focus on paid tourneys like Big fish tourneys and PKO tourneys along with freerolls?

Should I deposit to play these tourneys or Should I use my freerolls winnings to play the paid tourneys?
I have already withdrawn my winnings from my account.

Kindly Guide me.

Hey Mate,

If you have the money available it's definitely best to make a small deposit and play real money tournaments over frereolls (even if the buyin is just 0.50 or 1.00)

You will get higher quality practice and you can make quite a lot more money.

As many others in the thread have said, freerolls are good extra value games to have on the side which don't require too much attention.

And yes, any money won in them should immediately be added to the real money bankroll.

Good luck!

rictor99

rictor99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know that the quality of play in a 50 cent MTT is much better than in a freeroll. The style of play is pretty much the same. A lot of loose play and all-ins in the early rounds. If you can win in freerolls, you can win in low stakes.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Since you are at Level 115,I think a deposit is not necessarybecause you have a lot of freerolls to be played..That said,you should use your freerolls winnings to play paid tournaments..Good luck!

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In my opinion, keep on trading and play some freerolls for fun

S

SawViper

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. I think you should try some paid tourneys as the competition is much different. In freerolls people play a lot more loose and can lead to some unlucky pots where you have a good hand Top pair or better but they flop a straight with some random 6 10 offsuit. I find these spots extremely frustrating as it is impossible to read. I imagine paid tourneys would be more professional and if your a half decent player I would take my chances. Also, i think its good to test the waters and your skill level against different opponents.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ability of each player is what must be taken into account when trying to seek to level up because in freeroll there is not much pressure but in cash because there are many factors against producers

Freeroll Passwords