When to enter the tournament

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If late registration for a tournament, when is the best time to register? From the beginning of a tournament or at the end of a late registration Similar thoughts, the beginning is usually tacit and several rounds of chips are spent on blinds, on the other hand, if you hit an inadequate player with a good card, you can double it (although in buy-in tournaments it is unlikely) What do you think?
For me it depends a lot on the entry fee, if it is low then I won't enter until perhaps half way through the late registration period as I have found that at the lower level entries a lot of players are jamming right from the start and truthfully you can be knocked out with a monster hand by one of those crazies, therefore I wait until it is later in the registration period and hopefully avoid those type of players. For higher entry tourneys I usually enter earlier before the blinds get too high.

S

Smevin1982

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
If late registration for a tournament, when is the best time to register? From the beginning of a tournament or at the end of a late registration Similar thoughts, the beginning is usually tacit and several rounds of chips are spent on blinds, on the other hand, if you hit an inadequate player with a good card, you can double it (although in buy-in tournaments it is unlikely) What do you think?
I always try and enter from the beginning. If you are confident that you are better than the field, then this is definitely the best tactic, as you want to accumulate as many chips from the fish as possible. I do understand entering later, especially if it is a fast paced tournament and micro buy in or freeroll, where you will be forced into many high variance situations. Eg. If it's a tournament with a structure where you can't lay down AK pre flop. You will be racing so much or better and losing, rather than preserving your tournament life for a better situation, simply because there won't be one.