When to enter the tournament

C

ChemfromUKR

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
If late registration for a tournament, when is the best time to register? From the beginning of a tournament or at the end of a late registration Similar thoughts, the beginning is usually tacit and several rounds of chips are spent on blinds, on the other hand, if you hit an inadequate player with a good card, you can double it (although in buy-in tournaments it is unlikely) What do you think?

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think it's best to enter tournaments right from the start.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to enter a tourney at the beginning to be able to see as many hands as possible while the blinds are still low :)

R

Reginaldo Gois

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I usually go in the middle, to avoid the Bad.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to play from the beginning.

Fish tend to be the first players out and you want to play hands with fish.

Its way better to accumulate chips and try to win than to register late and hope for the min cash.

Another thing to consider is that you want to maximize your hourly win rate. Its much easier to max your hourly playing than it is sitting waiting to register at the last second.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
From the beginnig is my choice reason:low blinds and time to observe other players and then use that information when blinds get higher and you need to build a bigger stack.

Saul2025

Saul2025

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think it depends on structure of blinds, speed of levels and estimated total time of tournament.

See.
For example tournament starts with 100BB deep or more.
At the end of registration you have 10BB. You can play only push or fold here.

If you still were moderately deep before the end of registration period it's ok to join at that time.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It can take a very long time to play from the beginning, especially when additional registration takes more than three hours, so when I play, I very rarely go from the beginning of MTT, of course, if it's not turbo or hyper MTT.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like to enter... right from the start, especially the bounty tournaments!

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Start of the tournament for me. I like checking out the other players when the blinds are cheap.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's best to register all tournaments from the start as you'll have time to 'know' your opponents and have the opportunity to see more flops as the blinds are still low and build a good stack* IMO especially in bounty tournaments you can't late reg if you take poker seriously... the only exception where late reg was/is a good strategy can be in some satellites where ITM gives the same price and the number of players left is just 1-2 over the ITM places* maybe if you register you'll even have a bigger stack than the smallest stack/-s in the satellite and/or there's an overlay too...

Gavincwb

Gavincwb

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
KO Tournament is always good to enter at the beginning.
Other tournaments, do the math on the blinds, see how many blinds you feel comfortable with and always enter in that period. I feel comfortable up to 30bb, I don't enter tournaments if I'm under 30bb.

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
as early as possible, then you will not miss situations that may affect the further stages of the tournament,
Moreover, in the early stages of the tournament you can play more loosely, looking for a good opportunity to double up

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will say from my own experience, I like to enter tournaments at the end of late registration, although I read that if you want to play professionally, you need to enter right away, this will allow your potential and level of play to be revealed, but I am not like that.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Off course from the beginning, in the start of the tournament much more fish give you their chips, and if you choose late registration you are forgot all this chips

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think it's more about strategies and also how comfortable you feel playing at the time you register, for example: in registration tournaments of 3 hours or more I register when half of the registration has already passed or if the tournament is fast I registered from the beginning but it is because that is how I feel more comfortable, another example of strategies: there are players whose strategy is to register in the last minutes, rebuy as many times as necessary (if it is a rebuy tournament) and resist until they add -on and be able to apply all your knowledge (I know this because I know several players who do that)

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if the tournament has a late registration of 2 hours, it is better to log in from the beginning, if the registration is 6 hours late, I can enter 2 hours before the registration deadline

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If late registration for a tournament, when is the best time to register? From the beginning of a tournament or at the end of a late registration Similar thoughts, the beginning is usually tacit and several rounds of chips are spent on blinds, on the other hand, if you hit an inadequate player with a good card, you can double it (although in buy-in tournaments it is unlikely) What do you think?
I prefer to register before the start of the tournament. In my opinion, registering before the start gives you more opportunities, first of all you can play with a larger range, less risk and watch your opponents' actions.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
It’s really up to how comfortable you are and a few things matter. If it’s a bounty tournament I wouldn’t register too late. If you’re more comfortable with deep stack play then register early. If you feel you have an edge in short stack play and know your PF ranges very well then register late. If there’s an incentive to register early that’s also a factor.

Alket21

Alket21

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
AL
Chips
The variance in those games are huge. So you need to beware that you need to deal with a lot of misfortune during those games and not everyone can handle this.

joan moreno

joan moreno

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is recommended is from the beginning because you start in the same conditions you have the same possibilities as the other players and on the other hand when you enter almost finishing the late registration you have a 15 or 20% of being able to continue advancing

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if the tournament has knockouts, then from the beginning, if it’s a regular tournament, then at least 20 bb

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Many pros like to do the late registration because mathematically there is an ICM boost and you will be closer to cashing.

The downside is that when they enter they are short stacked and less than average stack but have studied these spots so they are better than the opponent.

Personally I like to play from the beginning and try to build a big stack rather than being short stacked.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
The best option is to start the tournament from the very beginning. But there are exceptions if the tournament involves the purchase of additional chips. If you don't have much money and want to survive until the final game, then it is better to enter the game at the last moment of late registration.