When do you quit?

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just can't seem to catch a break. Flop the nut flush draw and don't get it, flop trips and lose to a straight or flush. Just got knocked out of the betonlne lucky dollar tourney with the nut full house to 4 of a kind. When is it time to say you can't win??

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're losing every time to bad beats AND you honestly couldn't have been able to see them coming, then the answer is simple - Never. Bad luck happens. It doesn't necessarily happen in a nice, neat random fashion. In fact, it rarely does.

If on the other hand you're losing but honestly should have seen that most of these hands were going south, then it's still not necessarily time to quit. But, it is time to take breaks, refresh, relearn and try again when you're feeling positive. Analyze every hand that you lose. Ask yourself - WHY did you lose? What could you have done differently? What WILL you do differently next time?

If you can't win no matter what you do (and you've really tried hard to to improve your game) then maybe it is time to quit, or at least take a long vacation.

However, always think of bankroll management. You may not be able to do much about losing, but you can do something about how much you lose.

Anatoliy73

Anatoliy73

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play to the end in such cases, although sometimes it leads to my loss.

Z

Zayismine

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never Quit!

Just can't seem to catch a break. Flop the nut flush draw and don't get it, flop trips and lose to a straight or flush. Just got knocked out of the betonlne lucky dollar tourney with the nut full house to 4 of a kind. When is it time to say you can't win??

For the past 8 tournaments my faith has been tested. 3 consecutive games I’m dealt pocket aces and 3 times I am defeated by the river card. This has not discouraged me by the least. Playing poker builds character!

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don’t lose your faith and don’t think to quit. Learn more and like someone before sed think about your bankroll

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hey Amxvulcan,

I know right now you are pretty upset and feel like you cannot win. We have all been there where we have had some bad beats and there are definitely times where they seem to happen consecutively.
My advice is to switch over to play money on one of your poker sites and just got silly. Let all your tilt out in a way that won’t lose real money and then take a break to compose yourself and get back in the real money.
I like to do this sometimes but if you feel your still in a bad streak then I would leave it alone for the day and come back to it the next day.

I’m sorry for your bad luck but remember to stay patient and focused even through the hard times. This will get you through things like variance and tilt.

Hope that helps,

AshK44

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're losing every time to bad beats AND you honestly couldn't have been able to see them coming, then the answer is simple - Never. Bad luck happens. It doesn't necessarily happen in a nice, neat random fashion. In fact, it rarely does.

If on the other hand you're losing but honestly should have seen that most of these hands were going south, then it's still not necessarily time to quit. But, it is time to take breaks, refresh, relearn and try again when you're feeling positive. Analyze every hand that you lose. Ask yourself - WHY did you lose? What could you have done differently? What WILL you do differently next time?

If you can't win no matter what you do (and you've really tried hard to to improve your game) then maybe it is time to quit, or at least take a long vacation.

However, always think of bankroll management. You may not be able to do much about losing, but you can do something about how much you lose.

This text is very interesting, but I want to complement it with something that makes me very frustrated and I am fighting against this mistake and I am sure that I will improve to the point of committing it again. I always reach the semi-final table with enough Stack to reach the final table. More unfortunately I can not take a break, sometimes I'm first in the tournament and I keep wrapping myself in several hands until I lose my stacks. It is very important that you know the time to take a break so you can get better placement in the tournament. I'm struggling against this and I recognize it as a very serious mistake.

K

kostya_rk92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For exaple i have roll 100$ i begin game, than for 2 hours if i in plus i go out - if i in minus i continued

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play 1000 hands, if I go to +, then I continue, if not, then I leave

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As an aside, I've been convinced for a long time now (and experience seems to prove this out) that the key to winning any tournament is to have one or two big hands where you enter as the underdog AND get super-lucky. You double/triple up on those hands because the other guys have better cards that they are willing to play to the max.

Of course, you'e going against the odds when this happens. And, you can't predict for example that your 66 will flop quads while the AA and KK that you are going up against won't hold up.

S

shair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly, but it is life. Mostly people is lossing, and only personal is get on plus.

Because of that i play for fan (not for spend). And I limit my wallet to it. Something that i go to football. (i put my emotions for that money)
if you playing not good it is my advice efer to Poker as relaxation. And stop at limit or it will become to worse you.

L

lyndap

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a Game of Chance

How much have you invested? Do you think you have a problem? Maybe just need to take a break and review your play. We aren't going to win every game, every hand, every tourney.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When to quit?

It sounds like you got it bad... but everyone has those times where they feel like they can't catch a break. If you are continually depositing and not ever building a bank I think that's when it is time to try to build a bankroll from freerolls. There are SO many options for freerolls these days just play any site that has one and look up the passwords or participate in forums like this one and get the benefits. There is always a way to play poker and not lose a lot of money, but it is DEFINITELY easy to keep depositing and losing thinking you HAVE to make it someday.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How long has this bad streak been going for? Sometimes downswings can last longer than you think possible, and that includes the top players as well. If you can keep a level head....do not EVER play on tilt...and keep to your strategy you will for sure get through it!!!

W

wildjoker68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry, lol but you sounds like me there...I feel we all have a few bad games, just take a 1 day or 2 day break and it seems to turn around pretty good by then, just try to play tight until you got them. good luck and hang in there.
Peace", and Happy Bank Rolling....

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never say that I can’t win but I do put away the cards after a few losses. Although lately I haven’t been able to play long sessions so when I’m able to play I stop after an hour or two whether I win or lose.

S

smokeytje

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i stopped for a few years once after getting many all ins with top pair or aces and getting cracked on the river with a 2-7 3-6 or some hand like this, made me doubt the software as i cant believe anyone would call all in above 2-300$ with such habds without knowing more, kinda sure its scam

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to relax and start to enjoy the game again. As a long time recreational player I have lost my bankroll more times than I can count. Try and move down in stakes and remember all the times you put a bad beat on someone else.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Dont quit because of these things - this is part of poker - quit if you are making mistakes with the way you play the hands

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't rate my game based on some missed draws or bad beats. I would focus more on the following.

Flop the nut flush draw and don't get it - Did the implied odds and pot odds truly justify my playing this to the river?

Flop trips and lose to a straight or flush. - Did I properly protect my hand or did my play actually encourage my opponent to see another card each street?

Just got knocked out of the betonlne lucky dollar tourney with the nut full house to 4 of a kind. - Shit Happens​

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep making positive expected value plays and trust that your luck will turn around.
It's time to say you can't win when you don't have the desire to study/learn and take your game to the next level.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I leave when I'm losing and when I'm tired of stay thinking.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you lost interest in the game then its time to quit.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i lose my bankroll...

when i continuously lose with high pairs, and sAK

last time happened yesterday, maybe 10 times when i've already reached the top 40-50 in 2k+ players tourney.
annoying that impossible to reach ft without going allin with cards like these at least once in the last 50