What's your view on going all in with AK ?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
The only time I shove pre with AK is when I am SS or if I'm the SB and BB is the SS and I have them well covered.

If I am playing a freeroll and a guy shoved my OR I would call as a lot of times they are doing this with any chit. In a normal tournament early I would fold as it isn't worth flipping that early on. I have made a ton of mistakes with AK even soooted when I had something like 60+ and calling all-ins and being against AA, KK, QQ, JJ or any PP. They are ahead before we even see the flop and if we don't hit... We are busted. AK can make us be a bit spewy just because it looks attractive, but it isn't actually a hand, it's just a draw hand.

Same here.

:top:

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first scenario, in most cases, I would have dropped a card since the tournament ahead of this game to play and play stack relative to the blinds are very small. In the second scenario, always call on the bubble will press the opponents and need to fill the stack, and if you throw these hands with what is play!

blackdevil724

blackdevil724

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
playing big slick can be very profitable,but it can get you in trouble fast if your unwilling to fold it post flop when you missed the flop and have someone betting in front of you-i have gone all-in with it but i dont make it a rule to follow-who im pushing allin against matters as well as chip stacks and position-its a top hand and should be played like one,as long as it hits or a dry flop comes -im totaly capable of flatting with big slick and not raising when there are to many ppl in pot-its a great hand but you cant throw cuation to the wind when playing it-grisped poker on utoobe has a great vid on playing big slick check it out very informative
Yes, but question is about all in!! I also think all in best way of play, because lots of hands that can easily beat you will fold preflop!!

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with AK i usually go all in or big raise depeands od stack,but if is some importnat tournament I know also to fold depeands of situation and plazers.....

arbahool

arbahool

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first situation call.If vilain has AA/KK i doubt he would push all in,I think everyone would just 3-bet with those hands and try to get as much chips as possible,so against all others combination I think AK is worthy trying all in.

2nd situation also call.You already put 1/6 of your stack in pot and if you fold theres possibility that blinds will eat you up.AK is premium hand and I would definetly risk my tournament life with them in that situation.

N

Nodrawman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I call the all in all the situations if I have an AK. I play only in low stakes and there are so many players who goes all in with weeker hands just by bluff. The most typical is when you have raisen already and your opponent has a low pair and goes allin. Againts this you have 49% with the AK. I think it's absolutely wirth it, because if you win you will have a deep stack and for a very aggressive player like me it's a great position to continue the tournament.
So i'm absolutely for the call.

cese1962

cese1962

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I call the all in all the situations if I have an AK. The most typical is when you have raisen already and your opponent has a low pair and goes allin. Againts this you have 55% with the AK.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the title suggests, what is your view on going all in with AK? Does it matter to you if it's suited or not?

Here's a couple of examples.

Early in tourney, you have 3000 chips and the blinds are 50/25. You are first to play and hold AKs. You raise 150. The next Three players fold and the fourth player raises all in, with 3000. Everyone else folds. What's your play?

Somewhat later on in the tourney, but still nowhere near the bubble, you have 30,000 chips and the blinds are 2000/1000 and the antes are 100. You are mid stacked on your table. Again you are first to play and raise to 5000 with AKs. Everyone else folds apart from the BB who raises all in with 35,000. What's your play?

I acknowledge there are other considerations such as relative playing styles of the players involved, their (and your) recent hand history and stuff such as your position relative to others in terms of chip stacks.

I've seen different outcomes to both of these scenarios and would appreciate your views on either or both.

Thanks

BB
I personally fold in both situations. AK are just two cards, not even a pair. I will play it for the BB or possibly for 2xBB but no more. If you don't catch you have A high K kicker, a pair of 2s has you dominated. They look good when you see them in the hole, but if you don't catch they cost too much.:D:D

P

Predatorkc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to go all in pré flop at all, except with pocket pairs , because even if the numbers are by your side , the board can change it all , thats why we see so many players complaining about their lucky, all in pre flop is Gamble, even with aces , ok that you have 80% chance of winning, and in the long term you will profit, but specially in live , i dont like the Idea of throwing my tournament to the lucky of that hand being part of the 80% and not part of the 20% that loses. But if you have no choice, try to pay with higher pocket pairs as possible, and start to wider this range as long as the tournament Goes. Ak, only on the middle to late stages. GL !

G

galojmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I loose most of the time when I all in with AK and the player who all in having AQ AJ they win because Q or J are comes in the flope...the thing I want to say this AK is really unlucky for me for of the times.
If I have Ak and I am the next who play I just call if someone raise I call and see the flope....if someone all in I just fold like a innocent child!!

M

maminom

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in your first situation,3000 chips early stage early position,i will fold:you dont wanna do that at the wsop main evevnt or the sunday million.if you open raise with your AK,and get reraise,just call and see the flop..Same goes when you are in position;resaise one time und see the flop.

but in your second situation,30000 chips early position 2000/1000 blinds,open raise to 4000 and if anyone reraise you,go allin.in this situation,you just have 15 Big blinds left.:smile:

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to the first situation I would fold. It is always so annoying if somebody moves all in at the beginning of a tournament. If he has AA/KK, why not, but the statistic says that at the beginning a lot of players try to double up and don't care about being kicked out, so you might lose against 84 or something like that!

According to the second scenario I think I would have called the all in. It is later in the tourney the fishes might have gone. I say, yes I would have called but I am not sure about the circumstances, so I might have folded.

Finally, first situation fold, second situation might call! :)

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that AK on the early stage of tournament its call or You would be wating for AA KK onle to call?

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK it's early it is an easy fold you can only get knocked out and you win nothing. Later on you got to get it in unless you have one hell of a read.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking through all the replies, I think there is another factor to be considered. What is the buy-in and what is the size of the field? On small buy-in tournaments, all-in shoves to a pre-flop raise usually represent a marginal hand, because your opponent is a bingo player. this is especially true in your first example. In the second, I would also say it depends on the values. In small buy-in tourneys, a late position shove with A 8 or worse is most likely. If there is more money at risk, the previous suggestions make a lot of sense.

rflbarreto

rflbarreto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on many factors. Such as the position of the table, the style of the game rivals what style I showed up to this distribution, the tournament stage, the size of the stack, the pot size and so on.
In the first situation, I would have folded. Unless of course this is not a tournament at a high rate of growth of the blinds.
In the second situation, I would put all in 90% of cases. If your opponent to the hand en showed a very tight game.

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the title suggests, what is your view on going all in with AK? Does it matter to you if it's suited or not?

Here's a couple of examples.

Early in tourney, you have 3000 chips and the blinds are 50/25. You are first to play and hold AKs. You raise 150. The next Three players fold and the fourth player raises all in, with 3000. Everyone else folds. What's your play?

Somewhat later on in the tourney, but still nowhere near the bubble, you have 30,000 chips and the blinds are 2000/1000 and the antes are 100. You are mid stacked on your table. Again you are first to play and raise to 5000 with AKs. Everyone else folds apart from the BB who raises all in with 35,000. What's your play?

I acknowledge there are other considerations such as relative playing styles of the players involved, their (and your) recent hand history and stuff such as your position relative to others in terms of chip stacks.

I've seen different outcomes to both of these scenarios and would appreciate your views on either or both.

Thanks

BB

1st example i would Fold cuz its start of tournament! 2nd example it deppends how late is tour n how long bubble play is near end probbably i would call in 80% cases.:)

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea there is allways alot more info to go threw than just should i go all in, as in how many are at the table whats your chip size how well do you know the players at the table as you did say are they suited, i think they hand in almost all circumstances should be played a bit slower than all in but if your hand is forced look at your stack size and some of the other things i brought up and make the best decision ith the info you have....

victoor_06

victoor_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like go all in with AK the 95% of time I lose :/

N

no_1_knowz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have gone allin with AK numerous times and find its better to flat call against multiple players.Maybe rereaise against a single opponent

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard and long to explain. It depends on many factors and the type of tournament. But mostly I do not try to go in allin

real_lee85

real_lee85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion

I have one answer for both scenarios. since its just my opinion.. I wouldn't call either one all in.. the reason why is in both spots you can get away and choose a better time. with a better holding. ak is overrated to me and to me too many people tend to fall in love with it. not me. :)

M

maloxu82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is super strong hand, I like calling in position so I can get away.

I played a lot hands when I win with 77 or other pocket pair all in battle against opponent's AK - he simply didn't hit king or ace.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Even with AA only 50% of that win,a lot depends on the location of the game and of course luck !!!

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imho, the most important strategy in a tournament is to survive until a certain point. therefore, calling an all-in at the early stages are not necessary. you can easily fold. however, at the late stages ak is probably the most important hand one can have because of its equity against many hands. for me, it's a deffo call with only 15 BBs you have left. you can't have better hands to double up with unless you get very lucky. still, i always suggest people to see jeff schulman's fold of ak at wsop just as a cautious play