What's With The Weird Bet Sizes?

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people are just idiots. I used to think they did it to confuse people and make it tougher to figure out odds. Nope.

THEY'RE JUST IDIOTS.
I celebrate diversity.

M

mosseyAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, I'm having a hard time figuring out if you guys realized I was joking about the AA thing, hahaha.

M

mosseyAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He probably did it because some people are daft enough to say things like this:The number of the beast might actually be 616 btw, not 666.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Too bad wikipedia isn't realiable at all for history. Science, Mathematics and Technology articles on there can usually be trusted, but definitely not history. I personally have an account on wiki, and can recall numerous articles that I have edited to have fun with my friends..

And again, calm down guys, i would not call 666 with AA preflop, definite call. LOL

PokerProBetZip

PokerProBetZip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every so game I'll run into players betting a weird-sized amount. I'm not talking about 2.25xBB or an over bet or anything like that. I'm talking about people better strange numbers like with a BB of 200, they'll bet like 572 or 666. I've noticed this more in MTT than STT. Is this more of a phycological thing or is it just a player trying to save micro chips. I don't think it's the latter because those players sometimes bet over the "standard" amount like from the example of the "666" with a BB or "200".

I'd bet its for the psychological aspect. They hope their opponent thinks the bet is either larger or smaller than it actually is. Also those bets might throw some people off for a second, distract them etc.

Or they're just obnoxious.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Some people are just idiots. I used to think they did it to confuse people and make it tougher to figure out odds. Nope.

THEY'RE JUST IDIOTS.

I've never ever thought it was to make it tougher for others to figure out odds (I mean how would this even increase the difficulty of that really?)... most raises that aren't the 'exact' amount of 3x (or 4x) are in the vicinity of 2.3-2.5x (some are 2.2 at later levels)... so how does that make it more difficult to calculate odds? (& why would we or do we need to calculate odds with preflop bet-sizing anyways?... isn't it more about knowing how much to 3-bet, or how deep their stack is in regards to knowing if there's room for them to fold to a 3-bet.. or fold to a 4bet if they've just 3bet you in position???
Pretty sure the majority of them aren't 'just idiots'.... if they are then that would mean that the entire Top100 MTT Leaderboard is full of idiots (and sure, probably quite a few of them 'act like' idiots, but I doubt they're really 'idiots').
I'll see some newer players making odd preflop bet-sizing, when they're raising more than 3x (in mid-levels+) but still using odd sizing (< this seems odd/strange to me.... & usually gets a note as a 'newer' player).

Pretty sure there's more to the odd bet-sizing than it just being totally random.

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For my own personal joke, I've raised 'weird' amounts while holding pktpr's.,... ie, sitting with 7-7 in CO with blinds at 250/500 and raise it up 1,277 (< stupid shyt like that when bored... more often in a priv. MTT...oops.. I've let out one of my secrets!!)

Yeah, I tend to get a lil bored if Im only playing 1 game as well. In that case out come the funny numbers, not for any reason, just for the fk of it. And yes I like the 999999 at any end because its the most fun of all!! lol. so lame but hey, Im lame.

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to think it would make the math tougher on the people. Now I just use it to screw with them.

:p

clover

clover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They could also be doing it out of boredom. Perhaps they find their opponents reactions funny? I run into this from time to time, and it is a little humorous at first, but after awhile it makes you wonder if they have OCD...lol. Whatever reason, I wouldn't let it get to you, and you could always counter it by doing the same thing.