What's the right strategy when everyone is short stacked?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hi forum,

In the special ACR freerolls, there's some point after money bubble burst when the average stack is around 10 BBs (or even less) and basically everyone is short.

In general, you're supposed to be playing push or fold with a stack this short.

Does this also apply when everyone is short? 🤔

I'm often afraid to make a regular open due to someone potentially 3-bet jamming on me. On the other hand, I've seen some BBs calling with medium strength hands and therefore making the opener win a bigger pot. On the other hand you don't have a proper stack to play post-flop. What if you miss the flop which happens more often that you hit?

How do you play in the case everyone is short? Which hands do you jam/which hands are you opening with a regular raise?

And what do the books say?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi forum,

In the special ACR freerolls, there's some point after money bubble burst when the average stack is around 10 BBs (or even less) and basically everyone is short.

I'm often afraid to make a regular open due to someone potentially 3-bet jamming on me. On the other hand, I've seen some BBs calling with medium strength hands and therefore making the opener win a bigger pot. On the other hand you don't have a proper stack to play post-flop. What if you miss the flop which happens more often that you hit?

How do you play in the case everyone is short? Which hands do you jam/which hands are you opening with a regular raise?

I would like to know it as well, for I’m total noob when it comes to tournaments, even freerolls.
When I’m 10-12 blinds effective stack I use the strategy of pushing or folding, I can’t see many room to play postflop as well.
If I own 15 blinds I can think about raising and folding to aggression depending on the case, but most of times is push or fold.
I rather be the one pushing, not calling other players jamming:
I was playing a CardsChat freeroll and was nearly of the bubble when a unknown players jammed 13 bb from UTG and another regular pushed more 14 bb IP: I was in the bb with exactly 14 bb and holding AKo, and I have...folded!
UTG shows T8s and IP player AQo, I would’ve won if I entered the pot but I elected to fold, well... forgive me for this long digression, I just wanted to say that I rather be the one pushing than calling someone else’s push.
I’m total beginner when it comes to tournaments, sorry for my poor analysis.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
I just stick to playing push or fold myself. Whenever I tried to be "fancy" I catch myself in losing half my stack for nothing and having to push with way worse hand after that. The only times I might try to trap someone is if I get a hand like AA or KK. In those instances I might min raise and try to induce a raise from someone else with way weaker hand.

For hands it really depends on position I'm in and what opponents before me did. A10 or better ace hands I consider easy push in late positions with no action before me. Same goes for KQ, KJ, K10, especially if I expect SB and BB to fold.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hi forum,

Good question ..imo you can lower it down to 5 BB for push or fold .
Depending on the number of players I risk a C bet that often does the trick. It's more often that players don't connect to the flop .

I would jam with AA KK QQ and even some smaller pair depending on the action before me .
I prefer AK to just raise ..

Regular raise I'd say JJ AJ A10 .
But it IS really difficult..due to being shortstacked people also jam with a weak Ace or even King .
Often I rely on my guts I must say . That and playing in position.

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't play on acr but I think it doesn't matter. At 10bb I only play push or fold, everything else is nonsense. Playing small is exactly what others are waiting for and you then have to decide whether to put the rest in or fold so why not put in right away? in the end you either have more chips or even less, which makes it even more difficult and you usually go all-in out of frustration anyway and that usually goes wrong. wait for a good hand and then in with it no risk no fun :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think if the bubble has burst already you should play on the final table, so you'll have to take the responsibility of determination and push your hands even KQ from an early position at 10bb and play more aggressively because the prize money is small after the dough so I play like this

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I think if the bubble has burst already you should play on the final table, so you'll have to take the responsibility of determination and push your hands even KQ from an early position at 10bb and play more aggressively because the prize money is small after the dough so I play like this
Prizemoney isn't exactly small at ft in the Acr special freerolls :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Призовые деньги не так уж и малы в специальных фрироллах Acr.:)
well, after the bubble, I think many players will try to break into the final table and not play for middle places in order to get a little more than the prize money after the bubble, so you will have to play as aggressively as possible at the right time even if there is a chance to fly out, I'm talking about this

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Push or fold, push wider and call a shove tighter, for example shove with A2o at the co, but fold a shove from the co in the bb with A2o

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Also don’t forget to limp with Aces and shove with kings cause aces block all the Ax hands, and the pocket pair will jam on you anyway pre flop it’s how I use to play !!

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not play at ACR, but I do play some SnGs so I try give it at shot.

Position will be very importent as you have to hold on to the chips amount to around same sieze as others.

Play the positions before button with very strong hands, on the Button and SB you go a bit looser and defend your blinds against players that steal ( too much ), you really need to focus at players so you know who is tight and who is tryng to steal too lightly.

I think the opening range should be around the same as in a normal play when you are very thight ( as in late/mid game not early game ). So some small raise and reraises when you have the hands.

If you get down to around 4-5 BB it will be shove time with your shoving ranges, preeferable from late positions.

This play depends very much on your reads on the players, so be carefull with having too many tables up, if you really want to win this game.

GL (y)(y)

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In that situation I'd consider that when other players are short, they are willing to pay with loose hands, like any Ax, or any two high figures, so, I'd try to not push any card too.
Probably if I'm late positions, I'd shove, and if I'm in early-middle positions I'd min raise, expecting a shove to call, but trying to isolate some players.

DegenerateSheep

DegenerateSheep

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BE
Chips
I think you can play a standard push-fold game after the bubble, being short is not the time to be fancy. However, When you are nearing a payjump, it's not a bad idea to tighten up a little bit from EP.

That's a bit my strategy. I mix standard push-fold in between ladders with a bit of a tighter range near the ladder points. always nice to catch that payjump by folding a bottom range hand UTG or UTG +1.

Good luck sir!

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In that situation I'd consider that when other players are short, they are willing to pay with loose hands, like any Ax, or any two high figures, so, I'd try to not push any card too.
Probably if I'm late positions, I'd shove, and if I'm in early-middle positions I'd min raise, expecting a shove to call, but trying to isolate some players.
I don't know why, I assumed that in the situation that you described you were chipleading.
In case I'm short too is shove or fold to me.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Pushing/folding depends on the effective stack, so there is no difference. Another thing is if the majority of players in such a game start to play looser, then you can play with large icm-penalties.

Well, that is nothing new - as usual, you need to stick to icm ))

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To add to what Belfish mentioned. ICM is key here.

You def should play push fold still, but way way tighter than usual. With so many players short, you can ladder up very rapidly, which allows you to play tighter. Many other players will be getting all in with a larger variety of hands, so your fold equity is also much lower than usual, as you are more likely to get called. Again this means you should play tighter ranges, but if you do get that good spot, or top cards its a still a shove.

In these games, the payouts are so different I think its fine to literally blind out laddering up, IF, you didn't get the cards/spots while around 10bbs or less range. This doesn't mean play overly cautiously....If you hit a run of cards its shove shove shove if its the correct play in unopened pots.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The short stack strategy is perhaps the easiest to learn, but it's almost impossible to find a counter strategy against it. She may be invincible. Anyone who has mastered the strategy of short stacks can already say that they understand a lot about poker.The short stack game is the easiest, because you don't have to make difficult decisions, and even if you make a mistake, or your opponent has the best combination, you won't pay him much. A poker player combines two aspects - directly a card player, "and a financial risk manager who allocates money from the general cash register for the game.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe the right strategy is to play your game- but exercising more caution and wait patiently for your spots.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in short, for me in this situation, I prefer to wait for an ace well accompanied and being at the end of the table to go all-in.
and in this specific tournament, the pay jumps are happening very fast.
wait a bit, in my opinion it is still possible.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I try to put pressure on the shorts but without abusing it, it's complicated because in this type of tournament they can pay you with whatever, recently in one of the tournaments I had like 350k and 400 players had to come out to get cash and nothing one play after I condemned another one and I lost patience, I was left out of prizes very close, it was very annoying, that's why I prefer not to risk it if it is not necessary and wait until I am there, although I know that many will say: that playing like this is cowardly, that they prefer to play and stay eliminated to play that way but each player has his way, his style, and his priorities and knows how each stage of the tournament should be faced

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I would play more tight than before because there can be only one or 2 spots for you where you will put ya stack all in. if evrybody is nearly short stacked there will be usually many all-ins in a row i think - so for me this tournament at this point is like an all-in shoot-Out. Usually i would say when im playing such tournaments where in the end is big action you have to play more tight and agressive because in 10 cases you will win 5 times and 5 times you will loose ;-).

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hi forum,

I would play more tight than before because there can be only one or 2 spots for you where you will put ya stack all in. if evrybody is nearly short stacked there will be usually many all-ins in a row i think - so for me this tournament at this point is like an all-in shoot-Out. Usually i would say when im playing such tournaments where in the end is big action you have to play more tight and agressive because in 10 cases you will win 5 times and 5 times you will loose ;-).

I would play AA till Jacks and A-10s or better - it is a 9 handed table??

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Very often I go to MTT at the end of registration and AKR freerolls are no exception. When you have 10-12 BB, you should definitely play a tight push-fold and, if possible, 1 on 1. Do not be afraid of your little stack, you need to catch your game and luck. After passing ITM, you need to think about what will bring you a push, it can be more profitable to sit for another round and increase your bankroll.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi forum,

I don't know what the books say. In that situation I would go on with push or fold strategy but avoid as much as possible to call a shove even with a strong hand. Too many bad beats occur in this situation.
The best would be to shove 1 or 2 times per orbit and not been called :)
Then I could hope that the others players will eliminate each other... in a perfect world of course ;)