What is your biggest mistake ?

D

dnadeau1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
calling when i knew i was going to lose and it knocked me out 5 places from getting paid.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jon my friend, knowing your game as well as I do all I have to say is your a beast at the table. I know how much work you put into your game and your right , if you dont put in the volume and study time into your game you are going to always be at a disadvantage. I will say this, How the hell do you get so many games in a month.. Just cant get there with the kids.

Oddly enough my biggest issue is not being like you. I lack the confidence in my ability's even though I put the work into my game. I should not be so lacking but its true and holds me back. I am slowly working it up so someday soon........ I hope.

Thank you for the kind words my friend. Good to hear from you! For me I work Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm and so when I get home and plan on grinding I generally decompress for about 30 minutes or so, then I play about 5 or 6 games in the evening. I generally do this about 4 nights per week - then on Sundays I play 10-15 games when I load up. So this equals out to roughly 30-40 games per week - 4 weeks out of a month and bang! Hit my volume requirements. There have been many months where I've played 200+ games. I think the most I've ever played in one month was around 240 or so. Anyhow, I just like to be an example for folks who might feel like the volume requirements of 100 games + per month is unrealistic - I meet the requirements easily while I work a full time job during the day and do not play at work since my job requires manual labor.

The whole point is if you are dedicated enough and committed to wanting to beat MTTs - you can do it too! If you played 6 or 7 games a day for 4 days a week, you're close enough to what it takes. Being able to multi table 3+ games is essential in helping you reach your volume as well. I can comfortably navigate about 6 games without issue and in the right frame of mind I can handle 8 just the same. I've tackled 10 tables a few times and at that point for me it starts to become more of a robotic, going through the motions, sort of style and I can tell my thought process suffers so I try to keep it under 8 tables as much as possible. Sometimes you have good days and you just don't bust tournaments tho and before you know it, your monitor(s) are full!

The MTT Grind is not for everyone and certainly takes alot of work. Your lifestyle has to be conducive for you to be able to meet what it takes to successfully beat the beast of tournament poker. Thankfully for me, it works out, and having my wife and friends supporting the whole situation is great for me as well.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is playing and thinking I might win, then I get disappointed. If you enter every game thinking you will lose, you will never feel disappointed. Remember a negative attitude is the best thing you can bring to the poker table.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Clicking on another table only for another table to pop up and clicked on the all in button with 45o.

It would have been a costly mistake but I sucked out :eek:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is playing and thinking I might win, then I get disappointed. If you enter every game thinking you will lose, you will never feel disappointed. Remember a negative attitude is the best thing you can bring to the poker table.

Personally I think this is a terrible mindset. That's the mindset I get into when I'm getting ready to go see what I perceive to be a bad movie lol. I never register a game i don't think I can win. The reality of tournament poker is that you are going to lose way more often than you do win, so as long as you understand this, what's there to be disappointed about? If I play 15 games in one day, lose 14 of them and ship one - im happy as can be. Making the FT is hard enough, so winning a tournament is always an accomplishment. As long as I feel like I played my best game, it doesn't matter to me whether or not I win a tournament that day - because if you're playing winning poker, then winning is inevitable and eventually it will come. It's a common "results oriented" mindset, people get upset when they lose - but for me, as long as I played well and made minimal mistakes - then I don't care about a single days results.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I think this is a terrible mindset. That's the mindset I get into when I'm getting ready to go see what I perceive to be a bad movie lol. I never register a game i don't think I can win. The reality of tournament poker is that you are going to lose way more often than you do win, so as long as you understand this, what's there to be disappointed about? If I play 15 games in one day, lose 14 of them and ship one - im happy as can be. Making the FT is hard enough, so winning a tournament is always an accomplishment. As long as I feel like I played my best game, it doesn't matter to me whether or not I win a tournament that day - because if you're playing winning poker, then winning is inevitable and eventually it will come. It's a common "results oriented" mindset, people get upset when they lose - but for me, as long as I played well and made minimal mistakes - then I don't care about a single days results.

I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through in written word. Yes, a positive attitude is essential in everything in life.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through in written word. Yes, a positive attitude is essential in everything in life.

I think it probably did, my brain just didn't register 😅

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest mistake is when I play tired, or anxious. Without proper mindset it’s really bad to play.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
My worst mistake was playing a $ 109 ticket, it was 2/10, 1 was missing for the final table, and it occurred to me to face the player who was 1st, he had KT and he had AX, what I remember is that it occurred to me to do bluff but it was a terrible mistake, I still regret having made that play since I had been playing very well, the good thing is that over time you learn

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:mad: in an online poker tournament?
Failure to fold a losing hand All Poker Mistakes Here's a simple example. Let's say you have two pair on the flop, but the flop is suited, and the turn comes another card of the same suit. The opponent, by his actions, makes it clear that he has a flush and is trying to get a lot of chips from you. What if the theoretical straight is closed on the turn? How many outs do you have on a full house? Is it worth paying a lot to try and catch him? This is a common mistake made by beginner players. Better to wait for a more reliable situation and win a big pot.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when i have a big stack i sometimes get too confident and call too much in spots where it would be better to fold and i also loosen up too much etc

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have exactly the same thing, sometimes I don't have the patience and get into a trade and someone has, for example, 2 pair on the flop. I can't let go, I risk to double myself and have a better chance at the final table.
when i have a big stack i sometimes get too confident and call too much in spots where it would be better to fold and i also loosen up too much etc

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest mistake in poker was not putting enough effort into learning back in the days when the field was soft. I have been playing both online and offline since 2009, and poker was always my passion, favourite hobby.

But I never took it seriously, and I always treated it as something recreational. I guess I was young and stupid:). Now I am investing more time into studying, and improving my game, and I realise that I could have had actually become quite good, had I put the same effort before.

Well, let's just hope that its not too late))))