What is your biggest mistake ?

M

Minelli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:mad: in an online poker tournament?

:icon_bigs Why is it so hard to win tournaments? Should we review our goals?

Last edited by a moderator:
KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lack of discipline. I'm in a hurry to win the tournament from the first minute. When I lose a lot of chips, I immediately try to return them and give them even more.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think my biggest mistake is thinking I can beat the 100k rake one day every million dollars worth of buy ins in the long run.:hahaha:

D

DomDoctor01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Biggest mistake is when i get close to the bubble in a huge tournament and my style of play changes .I change it accordingly with the situation but in the last big tourneys i played , people busted me out with trash hands (K8 , A6 , A3, etc.) Against my pocket pair or if i had them dominated .They risked the bubble with trash hands just to get lucky....so the curse of poker .Play optimal but get punished by pure unadultered luck.

M

Minelli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was the best answer of all my pots !!

The biggest mistake is when I get close to the bubble in a big tournament and my playing style changes. I change according to the situation, but in the last big tournaments I played, people caught me with trash hands (K8, A6, A3, etc.) against my pocket pair or if I had dominated them. They risked the bubble with bad hands just to get lucky .... so the curse of poker. To play ideally, but to be punished for pure sheer luck.
:joyman:! I fell in the TheBig 3.30 tournament yesterday in the TG position all in the guy paid me with weak hands 10 and 9 always beat the cards of those who have more chips than you did before the bubble! And at certain times of the tournament, the bubble starts and after the bubble tapers the number of participants, otherwise the tournament would take 18 to 20 hours!

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Biggest Error

I guess if I really knew I would find a way to correct it, however, I do have a tendency to not believe others when they reraise or shove and for the most part I should've given credit for the aggression, I guess I need to slow down contemplate and THINK...lol:):):)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest issue is being over confident in my abilities. Sometimes I attempt bluffs in the moment that seem good, but when reviewed are pretty terrible. Then in other scenarios I find myself spewing chips in other manners trying to outplay opponents when I simply don't have to. I am my own downfall.

Quickly I've seen a few posts here about why tournament poker is hard and people can't win - the harsh reality is tournament poker is hard and full of variance and most players are not willing to dedicate what it takes to be successful at it. Along with a good fundamental skill set - you need to study your game at least twice a week for several hours per session, using what you can to keep improving and plugging your leaks. To do this you will need to invest in at least 2 programs - poker tracker and icmizer - these will net you money within the first year when utilized properly. Coupled with that is good bankroll management and game selection to net you the best ROI. Chasing the dream of a big score is all well and good but to be successful the real goal is to make money. Now, for me, the biggest problem players face is volume. To help fade normal variance you need to put in proper volume to do so - this means playing a MINIMUM of 100-125 games per month (150+ is even better). I worked a full time job 45-50 hours per week and still was able to meet this and the study requirements every month - if you are dedicated enough, you can do it too - no excuses. You either want to take this seriously, or you do not. The volume requirements are not my personal rule of thumb, its just math.

Hope this is helpful.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my mistake is to play more when i'm downstreak

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing zoom poker on PS. I just can't beat it, but i keep playing...

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think I should study more and maybe put some more volume whenever I play but since I play for fun I don't care much :D

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
for sure manage my bankroll!

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:mad: in an online poker tournament?

I made it to the $ 530 main event recently, I was in the bubble with quite a good amount of chips (30bb), and I defended my big blind against the richest (150bb) player who was constantly raise preflopp this time.
i had kq. I went reraise all in on a k38 rainbow flop (becouse he is overbet every flop in this time) and no doubt I thought I was far better then his card... he had 88 in his hand.I was the last one without money ... :)The party is practically about $ 1,000. It was a thoughtless, easy-going, risky and weak game for me. I was angry after that.

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, these are long tournaments.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting into poker :(
Just kidding :D
Im not kidding :eek:

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I taught my girlfriend to play cards!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My biggest issue is being over confident in my abilities. Sometimes I attempt bluffs in the moment that seem good, but when reviewed are pretty terrible. Then in other scenarios I find myself spewing chips in other manners trying to outplay opponents when I simply don't have to. I am my own downfall.

Quickly I've seen a few posts here about why tournament poker is hard and people can't win - the harsh reality is tournament poker is hard and full of variance and most players are not willing to dedicate what it takes to be successful at it. Along with a good fundamental skill set - you need to study your game at least twice a week for several hours per session, using what you can to keep improving and plugging your leaks. To do this you will need to invest in at least 2 programs - poker tracker and icmizer - these will net you money within the first year when utilized properly. Coupled with that is good bankroll management and game selection to net you the best ROI. Chasing the dream of a big score is all well and good but to be successful the real goal is to make money. Now, for me, the biggest problem players face is volume. To help fade normal variance you need to put in proper volume to do so - this means playing a MINIMUM of 100-125 games per month (150+ is even better). I worked a full time job 45-50 hours per week and still was able to meet this and the study requirements every month - if you are dedicated enough, you can do it too - no excuses. You either want to take this seriously, or you do not. The volume requirements are not my personal rule of thumb, its just math.

Hope this is helpful.

Jon my friend, knowing your game as well as I do all I have to say is your a beast at the table. I know how much work you put into your game and your right , if you dont put in the volume and study time into your game you are going to always be at a disadvantage. I will say this, How the hell do you get so many games in a month.. Just cant get there with the kids.

Oddly enough my biggest issue is not being like you. I lack the confidence in my ability's even though I put the work into my game. I should not be so lacking but its true and holds me back. I am slowly working it up so someday soon........ I hope.