What you do with AA?

YoSungDuk

YoSungDuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I won with AA, today I lost again. How you play with AA? You go all-in, or do you act like you have nothing at all?

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The AA is the best preflop hand but we cannot live thinking that we will always win, we must eliminate that kind of thinking.

It's a common mistake for beginners to play AA or KK differently because they think they are special hands, "Go all-in or play as if you have nothing" are not the right thoughts to play poker, when we start playing we must have a general idea of the ranges of hands, and depending on the situation, our ranges are adapted.

By this I mean that we must have a general idea and not change it, if we have AA we must bet or raise, we cannot make coldcall. When we start the ideal is to play linearly, the hands that must be bet is bet, the ones that should be called are called, this way we will avoid many problems.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always open raise with them if they are folded to me. Depends on the game I am playing on whether I will raise 2.5BB or as high as 5BB. Micro stakes you can raise much higher and still get a caller or two. If there is a raise in front of you then it becomes player dependent and position dependent on what you want to do. You will never be too wrong to just go ahead and 3 bet but there are definite spots where the initial raiser is crazy agg post flop and you are actually better to just call the raise pre flop with the aces and then raise post flop. That is a much higher variance play and should only be used when you are going against those types of players but it is something to at least keep in mind.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces or Pocket Rockets are the best cards you can get pre flop 100%. You should always rasise or re raise pre flop. Post flop and all the way to the river your Aces have a 70% chance of winning, but if you're post flop with aces you should play a bit more cautious depending on the flop structure.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends from the period when im getting AA. If its cash game I do 3 bet preflop, after im continuing with betting if the board it's clear. If there is chance for flush and i'm not having any suit, then i'm little careful with the betting.
Worst is when the opponent have monster on flop and you have AA, then if you are re-raised and the board is 4 7 10 , you are assuming that he is holding pair bigger then 10 and you're continuing to all in maybe.
This is a most difficult part for you with the rockets to guess what is he having, bigger pair or monster. Its all in situation here, but you must know your opponent style of play. In the tournaments if I'm in the beginning I 3-bet always before flop and continue to bet after flop. If its late stage of tour, close to ITM, or at final table depends from what my mind will decide. In some cases I'm going till the end with strong guess that he has nothing or smaller pair then mine. There were moments when they catch monster on flop and I'm busted, but what could you do, like in life, same in poker, sometimes you win with 2's sometimes you lose with NASA :D
Here is example from yesterday - this time luck on my side.

Attachments

• POKER2's- first hand.JPG
    POKER2's- first hand.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 156
M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same as any other raise hand at the beggining, same sizing. Of course 4 betting if you get re raised or 3 bet if you get raised at. Trying to get it all in pre but never too early or something that can reveal your hand to your opponents.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
AA is the best preflop hand, it cannot be wasted, with a stack above 15BB you always have to open or 3bet, below 15BB allin.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no standard way to play AA. Other factors are just as important for you to consider before deciding what to do. Position, stack sizing, opponent tendencies etc will help to determine your next step.

In general, you want to extract more chips from your opponents but you also need to manage risk. So I would suggest slow playing AA is not a good idea generally. Going all in is also not the best approach again, generally. A shove will often cause the others to fold and you have made little profit with your aces. Try a 2-3 bb raise if you are first to act and then be ready to make to a bigger bet after the flop. If someone else acts first consider a 3x-4x raise to isolate the opponent while building the pot.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
is to go up or go all in to try to go with less opponents since more passive players will come into play and it is possible to lose with a marginal hand

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is a good game stack then AA play as a normal pocket pair, if a short stack then play all-in, some players in the early position play a limp-raise or limp-all-in, the old focus, but it still comes across)).

E

encdz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG I limp hoping someone Mid or late raises, then I go for the 3bet. If I'm mid/late then I'll raise.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the structure of the table. On the stage and your stack size. From your reputation. 3bet and 1bet for everyone who did limp. All in, too.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop, you should always be willing (if necessary) to go all in with AA. At that point in the hand, you know you have the best hand. If you see a flop, AA is only one pair and should be played accordingly based on opponents, board, etc., and yes, folded if necessary.

How you play AA preflop depends on your image. If you play really tight and then suddenly make a big raise from early position, its obvious what you have so you won't profit from AA. You have to play a solid but balanced game overall (and in all positions) to be able to get action and profits from big hands.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on several factors but in general. I bet dear preflop to avoid being faced with several opponents. if the flop suits me. I continue my aggression hoping that my opponent has not touched a set.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop AA is the nuts, and if you always raise or reraise with the nuts, that is never going to be a mistake. In general your sizing should be the same as, what you use with other hands, you are raising or reraising, so that you are not giving away sizing tells. Against really bad players you can deviate from this, but its never a mistake to just use your standard size.

Postflop AA is just a hand like any other, and there is no specific strategy for playing AA. You basically classify your hand as strong made hand, weak made hand, draw or air, and play accordingly. AA will never be air, but it can be either a strong or a weak made hand, and it can also sometimes be a draw.

JLit

JLit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting it all in pre-flop if possible. Sometimes though depending on the action before me it can be very profitable to slow play and bet hard on the flop. However, this of course opens you up to more possible bad beats so you have to be prepared to lose more hands with AA overall, but win more $$ overall as well long-run. Daniel Negranu is a big advocate for playing bigger hands with less strength up front to trap.

:jd4:

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play aggressively, I try to go all in pre-flop

B

BDR-83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big bet or all in. If you play slowly, someone’s sure to build a street.

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's can be difficult trying to slow play AA or KK. On a lot of boards a single pair won't be enough to win you the hand. The more players who see the flop the less chance you have of winning the hand. If you can isolate one player you'll have about an 85% chance of having the best hand. If you let the a couple of limpers come along for the flop your chances go way down. You want to raise the pot enough that players won't try and limp in after you but you also want any player that has a premium hand to call you. Raising the pot too much or immediately jumping all in is not the best way to get value for your hand. Remember that AA is worthless unless you get someone to throw money in the pot. At low stakes games you can go all in and you'll occasionally get the players who think suited aces or their J9 is worth calling you with but when your playing against decent players they won't go near that pot. If you raise to much they'll fold out their premium hands. A good player is only going to call a huge raise if they're holding AA KK and maybe QQ that's about it. So you want the bet to be large enough that it removes all the limpers but you dont want it to be so large that players fold their premium hands. If you can't get a player who wants to go all in with you then lead them there. If they 3bet then you 4bet but don't just go all in and hope someone will join you. Raise it to try and get them to at least call you and then you can try and get some more value after the flop. You see it over and over again where players get nothing out of their top pair because they play it way too aggressively

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once I won with AA, today I lost again. How you play with AA? You go all-in, or do you act like you have nothing at all?
By default, try to avoid all sorts of tricks and layered with aces preflop. The pot is still preflop. Also, many players make erroneous decisions in a wide range of hands. Not enough discipline, just do a triet with AA in value. They will make mistakes with QQ, JJ, AK, and sometimes even with a wider range of hands, and there is no reason not to disperse the pot preflop with aces if they allow us to do this. Of course, we can start using light 3bets against them.Postflop aces are a little more variable. Preflop is simple - play aggressively, and try to build the biggest possible pot and opponents will make a lot of mistakes. Postflop drawing is more complicated and depends on many factors, so let's make a list of things that you should pay attention to first of all when playing AA postflopAlways think about what you achieve with your bet or raise. A bet can usually be on value or in a bluff. So, with a bet we want to get paid by hand worse, or get a fold by hand better. With AA, we are usually more focused on value betting and therefore, when betting, we must be sure that the opponent will continue to play worse with his hands. If you think that your bet will only kill your hand better, you better say a check. Also consider checking against players who float and bluff a lot in the later streets to make money from their excessive aggression

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with those who say that your should raise or re-raise when you are holding AA unless it is later in the hand and somebody goes all in. It could be a "donk" in the wings with a 2 n 7 that just flopped 2 7 7 . Watch out !!!!!!

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re raisings good, but I am also definitely one to be caught out by someone limping utg with this hand and me giving that person all my chips, sometimes.