What you say ?

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you think it is better for a beginner to start with freerolls or with tournaments with a small entry?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
On freerolls and on the cheapest tourneys you are probably against the same kind of people. In that sense learning the ropes by playing freerolls is simply cheaper.

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Start with a small fee. To win at freerolls is to hard

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going from zero to hero is a great feeling, but free rolls can be a crapshoot and many wasted hours, if you can do a small deposit, cheap burins is always a better way to go

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't think there is a significant difference in lineup between low payout tournaments and freerolls, it all depends on how much time you are willing to put into poker!!! If you have enough money, I would recommend playing the small buy-in tournaments, as there are very few freerolls, and there are many more small buy-in tournaments, and you will have more practice!!!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it is best to start with freerolls and move on to a small entry in the future

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Its the same.You will learn with both .For me better to start with freeroll and gradually to move on to buy -ins.When you have built your confidence and won something.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, it is better to start with play money. The next stage will be freerolls. And only then go to tournaments with a small entry.
This way you will learn to appreciate the minimum winnings you get from freerolls and use them correctly for other tournaments.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls are a hard way, if there is a concept, then study bankroll management and play by bankroll

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am convinced that it is better for a beginner to start with freerolls and thus create his first bankroll. Set yourself a goal. Try, for example, to create a bankroll of at least $100 by playing only freerolls. This will help you better master the basics of the game, acquire new skills, become more patient, disciplined and persistent.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the way of you will play each one is different, so if you feel comfortable to play the MTT with buy in, so do it. But if you want to get more trusting so play the free and go evoluting.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely better to start with freerolls and get used to being patient. If the network is immediately for tournaments, then the losses will be much greater.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
No matter what you play, you always have to reckon with one thing, no matter how good you are, you can lose. And that's why you should be aware of this before you start playing with money. If you don't have any experience in poker yet, it might be better to start with play money first and then play the freeroll. Of course, it is entirely up to you where you are interested.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better to start with the freerolls and associate poker studies as well to improve the game.

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you can afford to lose some money, I will suggest to start to play with small fees. Freerolls takes to much time and the chances of bad beats are bigger in freerolls

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls, a beginner should not risk money, because they will lose, and I dont see the point of them already having small pressure because they are in the minus. Its better to build up your bankroll to 200 bucks, and then start playing some 1 dollar tourneys.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You analyze, which hurts less in my pocket, I prefer Freerolls.

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The natural progression for anyone would be to play "play money" games to get the hang of the site, game, table(s), style and to kind of figure out what sort of games you prefer, then freerolls to get a few dollars in your account, then very low entry games...... then from there a person has to look at his or her own game and decide where and what to do from there. Every time I reach a "goal" with my bankroll I say OK, that's it I am playing higher stakes games now........... and then I never do. I worked so hard for that money that taking it to the next level and potentially losing a percentage of my bankroll scores me. BUT I am alright with that until the time comes to do something else........

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for a player who is just starting to play poker, you must first study and then practice with the freerooll that many rooms offer, that way you will correct mistakes that you will find along the way and improve day by day, and when you feel ready you will start playing tournaments or cash with your money.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are a few things to consider here.

First is the players expendable income. Obviously, if someone has no money to their name, it does not make sense for them to learn to play poker with money they can't afford. You will not be able to play your best game if you've just invested your last $10 on a poker site. Equally, if you have a substantial amount of spare money, playing freerolls or $1.10 tourneys is not going to encourage you to play your best poker - it has to hurt just a little bit.

Second is time commitment. Playing huge field tournaments for hours just to make a small profit can be as demoralising as busting in the first level. This is why, for me, CC freerolls are such a great option. Even if you play to the final you're likely only going to play for about 3 hours and win around $25, compared to the HUGE field freerolls and micro-stakes tournaments where you can play for 3 hours without even min-cashing and even if you win the freeroll, you only win $8-$10. Again, for me, this is not a good use of your time and the CC games are much better value. Game selection is about more than just the buy-in.

Third is what you're hoping to achieve from playing poker. If you just want to play the odd game here and there to pass the time and it cost you next to nothing, then Freerolls are perfect. But how do you expect to really get better if you're essentially playing with the safety on? Playing freerolls, you literally cannot lose, so your ROI will always be infinite. Playing for money and having a bit of "skin in the game" is the incentive to improve your game and get better.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I think the best way to learn poker is to play cash games. The reason is, you only need to focus on playing each hand the best, you can, and there are no other considerations like payjumps or varying stack sizes to distract from that. The second best way is to play SnGs, which are small and fast tournaments. This can also be fine, especially if you have already decided, that the ultimate goal is to play MTTs and not cash games. Freerolls are a poor way to learn, mainly because you cant play, when you want, but only when the freeroll runs.

As for how much money to invest, cash games generally start at 2NL on most sites, so an intial deposit of 50$ can give a lot of practice already, and maybe its the last deposit, you will ever need to make. And SnGs can be even cheaper depending on the site of choise. And if even that is to much, then play money games are also a better learning tool than freerolls, because even with them you can at least play, when you want, rather than sit and wait for the next freeroll. So to sum it up, freerolls can be fun, and you can win a bit of money in them, but they are not a good way to learn the game.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls definitely but they should be the right freerolls or you will waste too much time. The platinum cardschat ones I would recommend. Then when you have a bit of money in your account you could try a few small buy in tourneys and if your balance drops go back to freerolls until it gets back up to the previous level then try again.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Why not both.
I play both games differently and its good to experience variety of styles of play. Free games do give a more relaxed play but sometimes having something at stake can help with control.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
both are good, you can play with a small input of up to $ 1, practice will come with the game, the main thing is to combine practice with theory