what u think about addons and rebuys in online poker?

Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
it may sound too extravagant and infantile, but if we are talking about micro limits, I would basically remove addons and rebuys, because at this level of play, players are clearly not guided by the desire to earn as much more money as possible, but simply learn to play, rebuys and addons, it seems to me, interfere with this

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don’t like them, takes the skill out of the game, makes a tournament overly long in duration. Gives poor players who have lost their stacks an unwarranted second chance.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In general, if the rebuy option is going to make you get loose, just because there is a second chance, this is not good. Re-entries are getting more popular nowadays, and they will remain in scene for a quite long time, because it gives recreational players this 2nd chance, and this is more money for the rooms, but also for good poker players. It is amazing if you identify a fish who just gives away his chips and keeps rebuying.

Both rebuys and re-entries are ok in this situation: imagine you are playing a great MicroMillions event that has a lot of recreational bad players, and you know that you have an edge on the general field. Also, it is a tournament that just happens once a year, and the guarantee is great. Imagine you get out with KK vs. AA, for example. If you have enough bankroll, one rebuy or re-entry is good if it's not too late to register and enter with a short stack.

Also, let's say you play $5.50 tournaments regularly. You might try $1 tournaments with rebuys/add-on, but being disciplined to not rebuy if it is too late, for example. If you spend $1 to enter, $1 in a rebuy and $1 in add-on, you have spent $3, when your average buy-in is $5.50, which can never be bad.

About add-ons: if you are playing a tournament with add-ons, consider its price before entering the tournament. If it is a $1 tourney and add-on is also $1, you already have to consider that it is a $2 tournament, if you decide to don't rebuy. Almost everybody is going to make an add-on, and you should be making too, because you will get far behind if you don't make it. But if the add-on does not make much difference in stacks, you don't have to make it.

For example: in 888poker there is a $3.30 R&A. Initial stack is 1,500 and the add-on gives 3,000 more chips. This looks quite few chips. In this tournament we can expect few add-ons.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
it may sound too extravagant and infantile, but if we are talking about micro limits, I would basically remove addons and rebuys, because at this level of play, players are clearly not guided by the desire to earn as much more money as possible, but simply learn to play, rebuys and addons, it seems to me, interfere with this
Hi.
I don't see a problem with that. You always have a choice and you can choose the tournaments that suit you. If you don't like tournaments with re-entry, rebuys or addons, then you can just not play them.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They also tend to make tourneys longer and I don't like that

papapokera85

papapokera85

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
we can practice! no way without them!!!!

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I'm not a fan of this class of tournaments but I am not going to deny that I have played them on many occasions, the detail is that there are many tournaments without rebuys or add-ons, I do not see the need to say that it would be good to eliminate them from micro-limit tournaments, there are many regular players in this type of tournament

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Re buys are actually kinda worth it every once in a while when you have like 2+ tickets which you can technically use in the same event.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it depends, why you are playing poker, and where in your development, you are.

a) For new players wanting to learn the game, its best to start with simple tournaments without added complexity from things like bounties or add-ons.

b) For people, who play for fun, they should play, whatever they enjoy the most. They should be aware though, that if a tournament has an add-on, then they are likely going to be spending more than the initial buyin, so they should have the budget for that.

c) For players wanting to make money and/or build a bankroll R+As tournaments are a good choise, since many people play them poorly by gambling to much during the rebuy phase and/or not taking the add-on. And as always we win in poker, when our opponents make mistakes. They should be aware though, that the effective stakes are higher than for a similar buyin regular MTT and have the required bankroll. For instance a $2,2 R+A is comparable to a $5,5 regular MTT, so if you use a 100 BI rule for bankroll management, then you need $550 and not $220 to play it.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The strategy playing these tournaments has to be different, there has to be an adaptation.

You will need to have more money set aside to play then, as well as play more aggressively at the beginning of these tournaments, aiming to reach a predetermined stack by the end of the rebuy period.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
My bankroll doesn't allow me to make add ons or rebuys . Also it's meaningless most times . If RNG f*"* you why should you rebuy ?? I might rebuy very rarely in a freebie or very low buyin event , that all .

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I play with the same seriousness all the games, and about the rebuys and the add ons, I use them some times and a fewer times have worked. I prefer to play the game and move to the next game if things don't work as I would like. An important rule of the game is not to chase your loses!

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like rebuys because if I'm playing well and just not getting the breaks, it is nice to be able to continue playing. As for the addons I always take them, so there won't be a "stack gap", but I'm really ambivalent about them and don't really care one way or the other.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have to learn how to play those type of tourns if you ever want play in those major tourn folks dream of like the ones on TV or even the large weekly online tourns on all the major online sites.

Pretty sure the rebuys have the largest payouts but someone more informed (and that's alot of folks) can correct me.

But yeah, they're just one type of tourn that folks can play and form a strategy on and enjoy or . . . avoid. I wouldn't blame anyone either way.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't like tournaments with rebuys, so I avoid participating in them. I play only in those tournaments that I like :)

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I don't like it. We play tournaments and if someone get out than is he/she out. Because of rebuys many players play for long time to risky, with many calls and all-ins.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Addons and rebuys-why not? It's good when there are different types of tournaments. Everyone will choose what he likes.

ms_attack

ms_attack

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I'm not a fan of rebuys and ADD ons, I prefer the classic tournaments, I think out is out. But there are many different formats and for every type of player there is something available somewhere at any time on some online platform that he prefers.

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't do addons or rebuys if I get a bad stack on a satellite.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its the same as loose in a tournament and then reenter another one

poweROFLuck

poweROFLuck

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yesterday i was 6th out of 180 on a free-roll tournament and after the addons guess what, im No156
50K chips for 0.11$ that i didn't have but this is totally unfair. It happens all the time and of course i eliminated :D

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don’t quite understand how ribeye and addon can interfere with learning !!! Yes, the format of such tournaments is more aggressive, but there are such tourneys at all levels !!! Moreover, the goal of poker rooms is not learning, but making money !!!

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nothing wrong with them. Just this morning they got me into the cheddar!

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't really like rebuys, if you've lost you shouldn't come back.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday i was 6th out of 180 on a free-roll tournament and after the addons guess what, im No156
50K chips for 0.11$ that i didn't have but this is totally unfair. It happens all the time and of course i eliminated :D
it's not unfair as you know add-ons are an option prior to playing.

your chip stack position means nothing. it's just what your total stack size in comparison to other players. but mtts aren't won based on how long you hold a position for. think of it this way, if you were to bust out of the mtt while you were 6th in chips, do you finish in 6th position? no, you finish in 180th.

sure, it might be a little easier to finish higher with a bigger stack but it's more important to look at total big blinds you have than stack position.

so, if you have 100 bbs before the add-on, in 6th/180 players, you still have 100 bbs even if your position drops to 156th/180. or maybe slightly less if blinds go up, but you still need to play your total bbs on relation to the other bbs at the table, not your chip stack position.