what stage in the tournament to start stealing blinds?

B

badaboombaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's deep stack, than yes it is almost pointless at the beginning. Maybe a little bit before the antes or if you notice somebody is playing really tight would be good times to blind steal.

-1 see this is what I think is just horrible logic. It's not pointless at all, it's profitable. Why would you make anything but the most profitable decision at a poker table, even if it's only slightly profitable compared with your stack?

Yes you would always steal is your risk were =0 to get caught.. however there is always a risk and you have to weight the risk vs the reward and in that math is a part of the thing you have to calculate (among player, stack, pos. e.t.c. )

But what I really don't like in your post is the last part, this is a forum for players and I don't think I in any place have seen a limit on the sieze of how big you post can be..... so please help us here to get better after all this is what a big part of this forum is about discusse poker stuff, have fun with friends and your are allowed to disagree and have your own oppinion, but there is room for all even long and complicated posts.

Best regards

ok sorry I'm not that great a tourney player anyway mostly play cash but yeah things to consider:

1. how much opponents left to act fold, sometimes you're able to make a purely profitable steal in and of itself even if you simply ch/f every single flop you can ignore everything else for now and just steal.
2. how often they 3b, if they 3b every time they don't fold, your fold has to be profitable in and of itself if you're not planning on calling or raising the 3b. This is also true if they don't fold postflop.
3. how they play postflop, If they are calling a bunch preflop and giving up postflop it doesn't matter if they never fold to the original steal, that's just dead money you get to win later.
4. related to 3 but your hand strength. How much it makes hands with equity from pairs you can value bet to draws/backdoors you can barrel/semibluff.