What should be the bankroll in Sit and Go Heads up?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I see no reason to differ from the "bankroll standards" so to me they are the same on tournaments and Sit and Go's. I like to have a large buffer up to 200 buy-ins but you can probably manage even with a smaller one. I wouldn't go lower than a 50 on Sit and Go's though. But all this is just personal preference.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't see any reason to differ from the “bankroll standards”, so for me they're the same in tournaments and Sit and Go. I love having a big buffer of up to 200 buy-ins, but you can probably handle a smaller buy-in as well. However, I wouldn't drop below 50 in Sit and Go. But these are all just personal preferences.
Why do you think I can handle a small buy-in? :)

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Why do you think I can handle a small buy-in? :)
All meant was my 200 buy-ins limit is probably overblown to many. It is not necessary to have that much. If you can have 200 buy-ins that is great. But, for example, if you play 0.25$ Sit and Go's and have a 25$ roll that might suffice just fine.

Last edited:
I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it would depend on what speed HU SnGs you are playing HU Hypers will need a larger bankroll than reg speed HU SNGs.

For hypers I would say around 30-40buyins and reg speed you cam probably get away with 20-30buyins maybe a little less.

This may seem low but HU SnGs are low variance and if you have a good understanding of short stack push/fold ranges you should be ok.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
All of this meant that my 200 buy-in limit was probably too high for many people. You don't have to have that many. If you have 200 buy-ins, that's great. But, for example, if you're playing $0.25 sit & go tournaments and have a $25 shot, that might well be enough.
Do you play Heads-up or do you play full tables?

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think this will depend on how fast you're playing HU SnG. HU Hypers will require a larger bankroll than HU SNG at normal speed.

For hypers, I would say about 30-40 buyins, and you'll probably get away with 20-30 buyins, maybe a little bit less.

This may sound low, but HU SnG have low variance, and if you have a good understanding of short-stack push/fold ranges, you should be fine.
At pokerstars, only hyper Heads-Up. There is no regulator speed.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Do you play Heads-up or do you play full tables?
Only full tables.

Edit. Interesting. Your quote of my post looks different than my original one. You probably ran it through a translator? It's just that my word "roll" (meaning bankroll) was changed to "shot". But I hope you understood what I meant.

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would consider HU SNGs an entertainment/training type of format.

What I mean is that they really shouldn't be counted on as a money maker.

In the long run, the best you can hope for is around a 55-60% win rate, which doesn't equate to an ROI even close to what you can achieve in MTTs.

To answer your original question, only you will know the answer and you have to experiment to find your comfort zone. Use HU SNGs to help certain aspects of your game and then move on to better options for your BR. ;)

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Only full desks.

Edit. It's interesting. Your quote from my post is different from my original one. You probably launched it through an interpreter? It's just that my word “roll” (meaning bankroll) was changed to “shot”. But I hope you understand what I meant.
I know the interpreter doesn't work correctly, but I understand what you're talking about.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would call HU SNG an entertainment/training format.

I mean they really shouldn't be counted on as a means to make money.

In the long run, the best you can hope for is a 55-60% win rate, which doesn't match a return on investment even close to what you can achieve at MTT.

To answer your initial question, only you will know the answer, and you'll have to experiment to find your comfort zone. Use HU SNG to help specific aspects of your game, then move on to better options for your BR;)
If you win HU SNG tournaments with a percentage of 55-60, this will be a positive result.

Paligyerek

Paligyerek

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say 5% of your bankroll should be your buy-in to play your normal game and don't tilt out

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you win HU SNG tournaments with a percentage of 55-60, this will be a positive result.
Yes, but it takes a lot of work to sustain even a 55% win rate, which would only equate to roughly a 4% ROI (depending on the site's rake).

52.8% is the winrate needed to breakeven FYI

Here is a thread where I broke down the math behind HU SNGs: The Math Behind HU SNGs

You might enjoy it. :)

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, but it takes a lot of work to sustain even a 55% win rate, which would only equate to roughly a 4% ROI (depending on the site's rake).

52.8% is the winrate needed to breakeven FYI

Here is a thread where I broke down the math behind HU SNGs: The Math Behind HU SNGs

You might enjoy it. :)

In general, there are still SnGs HU limit games. They can be won even with a frequency of 2/3 of all games over a long playing distance.

------------------------

I also have a thread exploring SnGs HU play with high ROI, using aggressive BRM based on the Kelly Criterion:

There is a link in this thread to a poker calculator, with which you can calculate the optimal bankroll for your personal performance in the game.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, but it takes a lot of work to maintain a win rate even at 55%, which equates to about 4% ROI (depending on the site's rake).

52.8% is the win rate required to break even.

Here's a thread where I figured out HU SNG math: The Math Behind HU SNG

You can enjoy it.:)
According to my calculations, it is 52.1 per cent. Plus, PokerStars also returns a certain percentage of your rake.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please tell me.
Variance in Heads-up SnG is more similar to cash games than MTTs, because you either win or lose. For that reason something like 30-50 BIs will be enough, unless you depend on poker for a living.
I would consider HU SNGs an entertainment/training type of format. What I mean is that they really shouldn't be counted on as a money maker.
Historically HU SnGs have been the game format, where new players lose their money the fastest. So for people looking to get into poker and build up a bankroll its better to focus their attention on other types of games. OP might want to watch bencb´s video on bankroll building and bankroll management:

In the long run, the best you can hope for is around a 55-60% win rate, which doesn't equate to an ROI even close to what you can achieve in MTTs.
That is true, but each game also takes much less time to complete, and what really matter for bankroll building is hourly winrate not ROI. So if you can actually acheive a 55% winrate or better, Heads-up SnGs might still be a profitable game format to play. However I think, that with a hyperturbo format as on PokerStars, 55% is probably not easy to achieve, and because you are involved in every hand, its difficult to multitable. And this is why, for me personally it makes a lot more sense to grind the Fifty/50 format rather than heads-up.
Use HU SNGs to help certain aspects of your game and then move on to better options for your BR. ;)
I agree with this. Obviously they are good for practicing heads-up play, which even MTT players need to master. But once again the hyper turbo format kind of reduce the educational value, since it quickly becomes a push-fold game.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management