What is the ideal raise size on the preflop?

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to know your opinion on the ideal raise on the preflop with a strong hand (TT and above), and regardless of position. I prefer a 2 or 2.2 BB myself, how would you go about it?

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
A 3BB raise is ok, and when the flop comes we decide for the next move.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Are we talking about mtts, spins, cash? I assume mtts (freerolls). 2 bb raise is a mistake even without ante, bet size should be at least slightly bigger, because opponents have easy calls wih a very wide range. So 3-4 bbs from ep and sb, 2.x from other positions.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends what cards you have, but 3 BB is usually enough.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least 2,5 in EP and 3-4 in LP.

Less than 2,5 is inviting disaster.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Above 30 bbs we can open raise something like 2.1x-2.3x. Below 30 bbs there is no need to ''burn'' even this 0.1 or 0.2 bbs.

Personally in the games I play I don't bother with all those details , sometimes I open raise a 2.5x if my stack is 60bbs+ below 50bbs I go for 2x.(Less clicks)

Playing against good opponents you may find small adjustments by them but IMHO if you play against weak opponents who don't even know what and how to defend keep it simple. :)

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd like to know your opinion on the ideal preflop raise with a strong hand (TT and above), and regardless of position. I prefer a 2 or 2.2 BB, how would you do it?

at the beginning of an MTT I like to open 2.5x when I have more than 70 BB.

in the middle of the tournament I like to open-raise 2x, when I have 30 to 45 BB.

there are poker strategies that everyone should learn, I see many players opening to 3x at the beginning of MMT it's not wrong, it depends on your table, if it's a looser table, it might be better to open 3x when the blinds are low, at a table tighter will not work as much when someone calls your bet will already be coinflip or losing dominated.

for example:

you opened 3x UTG+1 with AJs

villain calls in HiJack AQ.

most of the time villain will not 3-bet a 3x raise with AQ after you open from a position that represents a lot of strength in the hand, the times you open the A you will lose a lot of chips.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Any raise which makes other people in your table feel like :motz: is more than understandable :)

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends on the situation, your position, the size of your stack, the structure of the tournament and your opponents. :)
There is simply no single and correct option.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
At least 2,5 in EP and 3-4 in LP.

Less than 2,5 is inviting disaster.

I think the optimal variant from the EV point of view should be very beautiful in the mathematical sense. Thus, most likely these are the numbers E and PI, respectively, for the early and late positions.
EXP=2.72
PI=3.14
This - ideal :D

"What is the ideal raise size on the preflop?"

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello!:ciao:
This is a rather complicated issue, especially without taking into account positions.
I think everyone has their own vision of the perfect raise. In my case, of course the stack will also play a role. But in fact, my Raise will correspond to the amount that I am ready to lose, in case the flop radically changes the situation.;)

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Depending on a few other factors, such as what position I'm sitting in, how many people are in the hand, and how I rate them. How much can/would I like to risk preflop? In general, I then opt for a 3 bet. And on the flop you can then decide how to proceed

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like 2.2 bb regardless of the hand, I don't like to keep changing my bet pre flop because it's easier for opponents to know when I have a good hand

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually this is 3-4BB. But in fact, the value of the raise depends on many circumstances. It is like the size of your stack, the place where you are sitting and other little things. The task of the raise is to prevent a small card in the game and show that you have a good card and will fight with it for the bank. This facilitates you the task of assigning a bank.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2.2 to 2.5bb and with under 30bb i start min-raising

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at least double the pot, if not higher

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing mainly freerolls i see a lot of All in in any position so i guess you can do anything you'd like. Also i see a lot of pro players going all in in those bounty tournaments whit this cards.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would say 3 - 5 times the big blind and then 1 BB per limper.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's worth raising preflop the same way, regardless of the actual strength of your hand, so as not to give your opponent any additional information. An exception can only be completely inexperienced opponents who do not pay attention to the size of bets, especially in the cash game. The general rule is that you can't raise big with premium hands and don't raise small with speculative hands. The only factors that affect preflop raising sizing should be stack sizes, opponents' playing style, and the number of players in the hand. It is difficult to say about the ideal bet size, but in a tournament 2-2.2 bb will be the most optimal from early position and 2.5-3bb from button and blinds, in cash games you can go more 2.5-3bb from utg.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends what cards you have, but 3 BB is usually enough.
Totally disagree. The cards are the last thing to look at. First how many have limped in, second what position am I in, third who has limped in, forth how many chips do I have in relation to the others, fifth and probably the most important, what do I want my raise to accomplish. The cards still come after do I even want to be in this pot with the people that are already in? Then I can determine what the raise size should be for that hand and only that hand. Having said all that my standard is between 2.5 bb and pot size raise. But if 3 or more have limped in and I have AA/KK that probably is pot size or more.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to know your opinion on the ideal raise on the preflop with a strong hand (TT and above), and regardless of position. I prefer a 2 or 2.2 BB myself, how would you go about it?

I drag the slider the smallest bit it will go, so my raise is just more than min.

For example with 500/1000 blinds, my open raise would be to something like 2034 or 2089. ;)

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There is no perfect raise. If every time with a strong hand you act in a standard way, you will quickly be found out. You are easy to read and no perfect raise will help you. You will only win the blinds or lose to stronger hands. Paradox: stability comes from impermanence.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the optimal variant from the EV point of view should be very beautiful in the mathematical sense. Thus, most likely these are the numbers E and PI, respectively, for the early and late positions.
EXP=2.72
PI=3.14
This - ideal :D

"What is the ideal raise size on the preflop?"

Nice! I do 2,61 EP 3,61 LP 4,61 with 2 limps infront.

I might change to your numbers though.
Care to elaborate a bit more on the reasoning?

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in early stages 3 to 5bb in middle stages 2.5 to 3.5 or 4 bb and in late stages 2 to 3 bb...( also add 1 bb for every limper in the pot) also if you have less than 20bb or even 25 bb you can just shove preflop with a strong hand...