What hands do you choose to start a tournament?

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
In a tournament I usually play only my strong hands when I am in early positions ... and if I find myself in late positions I also consider playing the suit connectors ...!

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t play many hands to start the tournament I like to observe the table and see who opens a lot and who’s tight. After one to cycles i get a feeling of which players ranges are by how they open. I also look for players who have been immediately stacked and see how they play as some players react by being more loose.
Also I try to try to observe how the tight players play postflop. I generally only play cards that have AKQ as hole cards in the first part of the tournament so I am extremely tight player I watch the action of the table. I will loosen up once the blinds increase.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30991a99458824a266c16c14c5b2d110.png

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play on premium hands AA KK QQ AKsuited. Any other hands I need correct position and pot odds to call. suited connectors and mid pairs. I like suited broad ways too
KQ QJ JT.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s not we who choose hands to start the tournament, but they us.;) Any two, I like to play in deep stacks.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on a lot of things, Position on the table, Chip stack, What kind of range I put other players on. list is endless
If I was on BB, SB or Button I would call a small Pre-flop raise with suited connectors above Jack 10 and pocket 10s and above, might even be re-raising, depends on chips and how other players react to raises.
Early on in a game I am usually careful and will only limp in even with a premium hand, in case I am raised,
My Philosophy is I will limp with a hand I am prepared to shove with if I am pushed around and will often do that,
Example:- I was in a hand with Pocket Aces in an early mid position and just limped in for the BB as I knew another player at the table would probably raise on the button, He did, 3 X BB and when it got back to me I re-raised 6 X the BB, He pushed all-in and I snap called it was a classic coin flip AA versus KK
I won that one lol.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The beginning of the tournament is a good opportunity to expand the range of hands, the blinds are small, there is an opportunity to increase your Bank for the late stage of the tournament :), but playing hands 2-7, 3-8, 9 is a bad idea ))

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No specific cards as such. If I have a high pair, suited even better, I would start my tournament with those.
Any low cards, I'm likely to fold and then sods law when they come out on the flop as trips...!!

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Played in quite a few tournaments on pokerstars with players going all in first hand. Interprets to me usually a high pair; AA, KK, AK,AJ.
The mavericks try an all in with low cards, seen them get called with over the top hands and goodbye Mavericks...

thebigdrodney

thebigdrodney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never go all in on hands, im not a bingo player

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesnt matter to me because I prefer not to play first hand at the tourney

Nicolasd07

Nicolasd07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a good question, it is very subjective because you can fix with an AK but lose against a pair of 2 haha. I think a couple of QQs or a couple of KKs would be a wonderful thing to boot, but with a couple of whatever I get into it without a doubt

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands