What do you think is the next step after freerolls?

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi if you have a bankroll enough to play tournaments, maybe you can start in micro limit where the enroll is 1 dollar, 2 or 3. And maybe sit and goes could be good choice.
Good luck.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Assuming you already have a relatively "decent" bankroll and you are used to playing freerolls, would you then aim for paid-entry tournaments? If so, what kind of tournaments would you sign up for?
Congrats on the bankroll! (y) It's always nice to get a roll going from nothing. If you're really sure of your game, I'd start playing sng's. I like them mainly because the $ is right there at the table and not 3, 6, 9, or 199 other tables away; plus, they only last around 45mins-1hr on avg. They're great for multi-tabling, as well.
Keep playing in trny's too. Freeroll money is still money. GL. ;)

Gavincwb

Gavincwb

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
First thing you have to ask yourself is the following. Does the game change a lot with a maximum buy-in of 1 dollar? I tell you from my own experience that yes. You will find a lot of all in pre-flop and a lot of recreational and weak players.
Knowing this, I advise you to start playing sngs or mtt on small sites because the field is smaller and weaker.
Keep in mind that you have to have at least 100 buy-in to not suffer from variance. Try playing along with the frees until you are confident you can hold your own.
If you've come to this thought of leveling up, go ahead and trust yourself and your game. Now is the time for you to play less and study more. Good luck !!!

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Assuming you already have a relatively "decent" bankroll and you are used to playing freerolls, would you then aim for paid-entry tournaments? If so, what kind of tournaments would you sign up for?
I would aim for small field and slow pace tournaments according to proper brm. Less splashy, less variance, more time, more edge.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
After the freerolls, I started playing cash poker at NL 2 limits, and then gradually moved to higher limits. I also played tournaments for one or two dollars.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
More freerolls! Have fun and keep the money!

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
Start to play micro limits and baby tournaments after study poker with a coach or an academy

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I too would jump into very low stake buy in tournaments if all I had played in was freerolls and was looking to make a step up.

Would probably go with regular freezeout tournaments at first without re-buys, re-entries or add-ons. Freerolls are most often straight freezeouts and don't tend to let you re-buy etc. If I jumped straight into tournaments that let me or my opponents do that it would be introducing a dynamic that I hadn't encountered very often before.

I wouldn't stay away from rebuy tournaments or bounty/pko tournaments forever, but just at the very beginning so I had some experience of playing for real money in the types of tournament structures I was already most familiar with.

Sit and Gos a good option too as they're mostly freezeout, and good final table practice for tournaments.

After a little while I'd try the other types of tournaments..

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
After freerolls there are the $1 -$3 MTTS / SNG and some satellites for bigger tournaments!

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it would be cash games with 3 levels of limits. If considering just tournaments, I would probably participate in tournaments where there are cash rewards for beating out other players. But I would never invest real money in satellites. :unsure:

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well first I would go with sit and go's or turbos. These tournaments are much faster than normal MTT's which can last up to 13 hours for the win. Just go with the quick and smaller fields as a next step. You might also try some home games they can be fairly inexpensive and a great way to improve your skills. Good Luck

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The next step is very important and needs careful consideration. It is necessary to choose those tournaments that will be acceptable for you in terms of financial risk, based on your bankroll management. For example, my bankroll is currently just over $100, and I've set myself a spending limit for the day. My limit is $3, so I can play three tournaments with a $1 buy-in.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5 $11 dollar MTT etc. The theory is the same whether in freerolls of higher stakes. If you can negotiate to the latter stages in a freeroll Matt then you can up the stakes.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Depends on how big is your bankroll from freerolls, then it depends on what your goal is example ( what format would you like to play). I would recommend you playing lowest sitngos, let say up to 45 people. You can go from there, field is soft enough that you can adjust your strategy and get immportant knowledge about ICM. After 50-100 games you will see what you need to change/improve. Thats the most basic grind for low stakes, and trust me you will improve if you stick to your strategy and you can build good bankroll and move up in stakes. Most important thing is that you have at least 100-150 buy ins (no matter what stake you play), so you can play in confort zone as much as you can. Good luck with grind.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
$5 $11 dollar MTT etc. The theory is the same whether in freerolls of higher stakes. If you can negotiate to the latter stages in a freeroll Matt then you can up the stakes.
For 5$ Mtts you have to have at least 500$ in your bankroll, and for 11$ 1100. I dont recommend anyone to play aggresive and skip the micro stakes. Thats the recipe for your bankroll to go broke. You can play sattelites for 11$ or 5$ for 0.50$ or 1$. In my opinion and experience thats the only way you apporach good banroll managment. And belive me, theres no on other way if you play regularly in any stake. Bankroll managment is very important part of the grind, without it , its only a matter of time when will you go broke.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Congrats on the bankroll! (y) It's always nice to get a roll going from nothing. If you're really sure of your game, I'd start playing sng's. I like them mainly because the $ is right there at the table and not 3, 6, 9, or 199 other tables away; plus, they only last around 45mins-1hr on avg. They're great for multi-tabling, as well.
Keep playing in trny's too. Freeroll money is still money. GL. ;)
Thank you for the congratulations, but I was referring to a hypothetical scenario 😅. I believe I still have a long way to go before moving beyond freerolls. It's true that I've had some winnings, but not enough. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing your opinions, and it remains a possibility for the future.
Thank you for the advice and for wishing me luck too, I'm going to need it, haha. And yes, I never considered leaving the freerolls. As you rightly say, it's still money.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
The best option is to start playing micro KO buy-in tournaments.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I advise you to buy a revolver if you still have money, because poker will take everything away, I know from experience

View attachment 350340
I dare to suspect that you didn't have a good time 🥲. But well, having all possible perspectives helps. Although I would say that for now, I don't need the revolver. I take good care of my money.
From your comment, I gather that knowing when to throw in the towel is important.

Freeroll Passwords