What do you do during tournaments?

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get that some people like playing tournaments. I mean, some people enjoy the slowness of it, or the fact they have to commit countless hours to them, or the low skill high luck factor once the stacks get shallow. I think that's masochism, but I get that some people do like that and that's fine.

What I don't understand is people complaining about those things that are inherently part of playing tournaments and yet choosing to play tournaments even though they get bored and tired playing them, while there is a very simple alternative: don't play donkaments, play cash.

I play both.

You wont know the actual time commitment based just off of the structure bc quality of play/style of play vary sooo much.

Inevitably you will be in a situation where you thought the structure would play out in X hours and it happens in Y hours surprising you. Yes, sometimes this surprise will not be a good one.

In no way does that mean you should simply eschew all tournament play for only cash play....that's as nonsensical as it gets.

I love cash, but all cash all the time gets wayyy too boring and monotonous for me. Especially if its all NLH....that game is not a super exciting one anymore.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play both.

You wont know the actual time commitment based just off of the structure bc quality of play/style of play vary sooo much.

Inevitably you will be in a situation where you thought the structure would play out in X hours and it happens in Y hours surprising you. Yes, sometimes this surprise will not be a good one.

In no way does that mean you should simply eschew all tournament play for only cash play....that's as nonsensical as it gets.

I love cash, but all cash all the time gets wayyy too boring and monotonous for me. Especially if its all NLH....that game is not a super exciting one anymore.

I agree that mixing it up is a great idea. I find a lot of the MTTs still have very soft play and are extremely profitable.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If playing micro stakes with lots of fish you don't need to pay much attention til you get deep so usually I'll be watching tv or checking out threads on here etc. while playing. I'm not much of a multi-tabler but recently I've upped it from 4 to 6-9 and I find I can't really do much else other than focus on the games with that many running. Much prefer tourneys to cash.

Last edited:
B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally just play games on internet/pull up a few HU games.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i am playing, i'm only watching the game if i'ts not a freeroll, you can pick up tells that you may of missed. It also gives time to put notes on players.
then she puts on this french m aid outfit and I'm all in...no wait thats what i do....ok sorry please continue...and please in the future keep mu trigger words out of your posts...lol
Lol
Then Sue puts on the french maid outfit, and everyone stops playing... :p:vroam: :vroam:

witchywitchy

witchywitchy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listening to music... When the blinds are low I might also surf or read. Deep in, I focus on the game!

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I don't understand is people complaining about those things that are inherently part of playing tournaments and yet choosing to play tournaments even though they get bored and tired playing them
You have a point, sir. Poker players ought to be more logical.

I find it interesting that some people apparently have such short attention spans that they can`t deal with an online tournament, most of which are actually over pretty quickly. Compare live tournaments, where the good ones with the juicy prize money typically last three days or more.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last tournament I played I also learnt how to dougy.

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm reading with interest this thread but I am confused... most answers indicate "stay focused on the MTT"
Also most people - or at least lots of people multi-table big time.
How many tournaments can you effectively be focused on simultaneously?

Myself - I occasionally knit - lol
and c'mon guys - this is a challenge - you can do it too - :D YES YOU CAN
we girls learned a lot of "skills" that are supposed to be for the guys - (and I am not referring to poker.. but how about soccer/ hockey - :p )

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are implying that we should learn how to knit, I am in.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
. What do you guys do durnung tournments?
Lately it's been a mix of sending vegasjj super long pm's &/or maxing my CC page to 400%+ to get a better look at 12345Razz's avatar!
I generally just play games on internet like pulling up my HEM2 to check out how many bb's & Buyins I'm running below ev, while losing a few hundred HU games.
oh.. & FYP here ^ ;)

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally put on a youtube video with some poker-program running while I play. However, I think one of the most important things becoming a good pokerplayer is to put your opponents on a range and analyze how they play. I keep an eye on what is going on, and I don`t only play my cards but look for tells and make notes along the way.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No way can I play just one game. it is boring. To the poster who said "we play for fun don't we"? I say hell no. I play to make money. For fun I go on a cruise.

So I pull up a dbl up SNG, or catch up on my emails. Or plug in "abcess" on youtube and watch a lot of neat gross stuff. Now THAT is fun!!

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have monkeyed around with a lot of different things while playing. I generally only do it in the beginning of freerolls or large field tourneys where play can be so erratic. I started watching shows on Hulu because if I just paid close attention to what garbage people were playing I was sooooooo tempted to open my range. Then I would end up just another donkey in the land of the four legged ATMs. Now I have found that my favorite is to either play a funstep if I am on Merge (which I always am, thanks Government) or I listen to stand up comedy on Spotify. I like the comedy because it keeps my mood light and it is broken up into "bits" so I can go in and out of concentration on it.

One thing I have been doing that I think has been unprofitable is to be playing both NLHE and PLO tournaments at the same time. Maybe as I get better acquainted with PLO it wont be a problem but right now it seems that changing gears is clunky at best. Anyone else experience that?

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the back to back posts but speaking of stand up comedy I listened to Bob Newheart's old stand up and now I have to steam clean my chair and get a glut-us-maxi-mus implant from peeing myself whilst simultaneously laughing my ass off. It's great you should check him out.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
One thing I have been doing that I think has been unprofitable is to be playing both NLHE and PLO tournaments at the same time. Maybe as I get better acquainted with PLO it wont be a problem but right now it seems that changing gears is clunky at best. Anyone else experience that?
Yah, I suck when playing two different formats at same time.

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've have listened to the same 2 hour and 45 min concert on youtube for SEVERAL tournaments. One thing you can always do, while paying attention to the game, is have music playing. It's never good advice to say things you could focus on other than the game you're in. In the beginning stages of a long tourny I'm guilty of focusing on other things too. Sometimes tv. Sometimes some manual stimulation (haha..I hope i dont get in trouble for that) But the moral of everyones post I think is: 'Pay attention'

H

HotShotX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll either have a long Youtube video playing in the background, something that I can pause when I need to decide on hands, or nothing, and just focus on the tables in a comfortable chair or at my standing desk.

I've found the standing desk makes me more alert.

B

bert mcgirt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually a sporting event on TV that I could care less about... or a half assed job search!

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you want a half-assed job ? :)