What do you do during tournaments?

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing long tournements or start going deep, playing 2 or more hours, to beat bordem or destractions I listen to my ipod or play games like angry birds. What do you guys do durnung tournments?

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing long tournements or start going deep, playing 2 or more hours, to beat bordem or destractions I listen to my ipod or play games like angry birds. What do you guys do durnung tournments?

I wouldn't advise playing any other games

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is okay in the early stages to do a few things like listen to music or have the tv on . I wouldn't be playing angry birds - something like that is way too distracting.

During the later stages you shouldn't be doing anything else - you should be totally focused on the tournament.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is okay in the early stages to do a few things like listen to music or have the tv on . I wouldn't be playing angry birds - something like that is way too distracting.

During the later stages you shouldn't be doing anything else - you should be totally focused on the tournament.

Yea I agree, when the tournament gets towards the end you should be extremely focused OP. I usually play some music in the background, but nothing else, otherwise I can't play my best.

S

spstevens

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tell my wife I love you but please leave me alone for a while , forcefully .

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pull up a SnG or anything else so you don't hyper-focus on one event. I used to actually watch television programs on my computer when I was grinding tournies.

I ran really well through all seasons of "Buffy".

seqas

seqas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trying to focus on the tournament but eventually get bored i usually have tv on from start to end not that i watch all the time tho lol but just to have it on i guess its a habit and some i got used to not sure if thats very wrong or bad? IF i get "lucky" going deep i will turn tv bit down tho xD

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if im only playing 1 table ill usually review a hh or watch a training vid at the same time

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If tournaments bore you - which i totally understand - there's a simple fix for that: don't play tournaments. There's always a nice cash table waiting for you where you can sit down anytime you want and from which you can leave anytime you want.

coyotegal

coyotegal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch the play, take mental notes on the players, look for my spots, wait for good hands in position, play bad hands once in a while to mix up my table image...wait for the bullies to push when I have the nuts...those are a few of the things I do...lol I find I play better if I focus on the tournament most of the time... sometimes, I do sit out for a bit (early on) if there is a large field....:cool:

T

ThatsNasssty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch the play, take mental notes on the players, look for my spots, wait for good hands in position, play bad hands once in a while to mix up my table image...wait for the bullies to push when I have the nuts...those are a few of the things I do...lol I find I play better if I focus on the tournament most of the time... sometimes, I do sit out for a bit (early on) if there is a large field....:cool:

Same :) but I sometimes listen to music.

seqas

seqas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If tournaments bore you - which i totally understand - there's a simple fix for that: don't play tournaments. There's always a nice cash table waiting for you where you can sit down anytime you want and from which you can leave anytime you want.

:lol: thats not a fix :biggrin: yes there is always a cash game waiting on taking your money lol :p j/k. some low music in background can be quite nice to.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:lol: thats not a fix :biggrin:

Of course that's a fix. Tournaments ARE boring. Intrinsically boring. The best fix for that is to stop playing tournnaments! I mean, come on. You're supposedly playing poker for fun and that fun is so boring you need to find something else to do at the same time? Does not compute...

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

+1 and too boot, I usually say GOD almighty get the kids out of the house or something:) :eek:

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I watched Curb your Enthusiasm episodes while playing the super deep Merge 11 dollar.

169 players and nearly 4 hours to the money....never again.

seqas

seqas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course that's a fix. Tournaments ARE boring. Intrinsically boring. The best fix for that is to stop playing tournnaments! I mean, come on. You're supposedly playing poker for fun and that fun is so boring you need to find something else to do at the same time? Does not compute...

well, it is fun but when not much action it can get "tired" and "bored" it wouldnt matter if it was cash games either i think. for me i would say there is an explanation on it. but thats another story.

Yesterday I watched Curb your Enthusiasm episodes while playing the super deep Merge 11 dollar.

169 players and nearly 4 hours to the money....never again.

you didnt cash any or?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, it is fun but when not much action it can get "tired" and "bored" it wouldnt matter if it was cash games either i think. for me i would say there is an explanation on it. but thats another story.

Playing cash you can start and stop at any time, and you can add or remove tables at any time, so there is no reason whatsoever to play tired or bored. Tournaments are the exact opposite. So yes, it matters a lot. cash >>>>> tournaments fun-wise ainec.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

you didnt cash any or?

I played over 3 hours and didnt get all that close...TT< QQ, super standard stuff.

It was still not on the bubble at 4:03 in...wow...thats simply too deep imho; im not sure why Merge cant offer low/micro buyin MTTs with the same deep/superstacked structure FTP had. Those were fun and deep enough imho.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was still not on the bubble at 4:03 in...wow...thats simply too deep imho; im not sure why Merge cant offer low/micro buyin MTTs with the same deep/superstacked structure FTP had. Those were fun and deep enough imho.

If you enjoy playing deep, you should stop playing donkaments and join the cash tables instead. Blinds don't go up there, so you can play deep as long as you want.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you enjoy playing deep, you should stop playing donkaments and join the cash tables instead. Blinds don't go up there, so you can play deep as long as you want.

some people like tournaments, some are better at it. you like cash everyone gets it

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

then she puts on this french m aid outfit and I'm all in...no wait thats what i do....ok sorry please continue...and please in the future keep mu trigger words out of your posts...lol

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some people like tournaments, some are better at it. you like cash everyone gets it

I get that some people like playing tournaments. I mean, some people enjoy the slowness of it, or the fact they have to commit countless hours to them, or the low skill high luck factor once the stacks get shallow. I think that's masochism, but I get that some people do like that and that's fine.

What I don't understand is people complaining about those things that are inherently part of playing tournaments and yet choosing to play tournaments even though they get bored and tired playing them, while there is a very simple alternative: don't play donkaments, play cash.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will usually throw in some PLO cash while playing <5 MTTs/SNGs. If I have 5 or more tables going, I just focus on the tournaments.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To answer OP's question: If I am "bored" while playing poker, I am usually doing stock research and reading about the markets.

B

bringmethecards

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am playing at the tables I do nothing else but just sit on my laptop and play and make notes on the players at my table!!