What to do when you are running like crap?

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, yesterday i experienced the worse hours playing poker since i started
Lost KK three times, against QQ, AK and the other time against KQ (fu**ing joke)
Lost AA against A9
Lost BvB AJ against JQ
Lost JJ against 99
Lost AK twice x AK (flush) and against AQo
And lost QQ against AA (ok, its a cooler, more acceptable)
Oh, and AA against 78s, but i didnt count this because it was post flop, wasnt even all in, pretty scarry board, so just a run out
I had 3 bad beats in a row in a tournament that i was like 20/3000 em chips

My question is:
What to do when running like this?
For how long do you take a pause from poker to start playing again?
Playing in another room helps?

Last edited:
franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When luck is going bad, luck is going bad, and vice-versa.

Stopping play won't change your luck. It's 50/50, but stopping playing for a few days, can change your outlook, and you'll find that you won't be down in the dumps when you resume play.

One thing I've noticed, over the years, and it's hard for me to explain, but it seems that the top pros are always lucky. I think it's because they know how to play a bad situation into a lucky situation, or even turn a lucky situation, into an advantage situation. I guess what I'm saying is that they know how to play lucky, and not let the unlucky results get to them.

If you're really down, right now, my suggestion is to take a break for a few days, and go back in with renewed optimism, and vigor. It'll make a world of difference for you.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should already understand that this is all part of poker, you can't run away from it.Somewhere you are lucky somewhere not.You have to get used to it, personally, it has not angered me for a long time, I take it calmly.People get angry when luck turns away from them, and when luck is on their side they don't even think about it)))

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just got all in with AK, and my opponent called me with KQs and flopped the flush instantly. Just like that. BOOM.

What did I do? I laughed. And smiled. :D And then I moved on to the next hand. I didn't curse or stomp my feet or bang my fist on the desk.

I guess I've matured over the years. :)

We all go thru tough times in this game, TRUST ME ON THIS.

The key is how you handle it and get thru it to the other side of variance. You're on the wrong side right now, and yeah we all know how much pain that can bring... but keep the faith and realize it does not, and cannot, last forever.

I examine my strategic approach to the game more during downswings, it is fairly likely to be some strategic adjustments we can make... perhaps we're chasing draws when we don't have correct pot odds to justify doing so, for example... so study your hand histories and look for such spots to examine them.

If you are confident your game is in order... then why worry about a downswing? Winning players don't win every day or every game... they win over the long run, and even winning players will have extended periods where they lose more than they win. Hopefully this makes sense and perhaps it will help you to bring some perspective to your current dilemma. It won't last forever, and you have to "keep the faith" and believe in that statement. Best wishes!!

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Nothing I can do about it. I just forget it. I can't beat variance in poker.

I play a couple of SNG to ease my mind.

I don't think so. If you are still carrying the burden of bad beats on the previous table. Results will still be the same.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Take a break. watch a movie call some friends. If its a long bad run , take atleast 3 or for days off and do totally different things. When ou start back, watch a few u tube videos of good final tables or of especific hands . Get into a new mind set and start fresh.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker isn't easy, bad variance is normal and a part of the game. I would advise you stick to the plan, play solid poker but maybe cut down the volume and drop some of your highest buy in tournaments until the variance levels out. Taking a break is fine, but for serious grinders you simply have to ensure you are playing correctly and if it is just variance - then you power through. That's all there is to it. I'm on a 300+ game downswing on BOL, but playing winning poker and doing well on the other sites I play on, just is what it is. Gotta keep going.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should take a break, and review how do you play last hand, what did yo do wrong?, this is the way to learn

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, disvansing helps a lot and also do activities to forget a little like frustrating defeats

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

I say that if you lose two games in a row definetely it´s not your day
Better go and watch Big Bang Theory or Two and a half men

Rgds

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break. Like at least 2 to 3 days. You will be shocked at how refreshed you feel when you come back to playing.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is absolutely no better map to play with... I think you forgot about that... It's impossible to get a strong hand and take the pot every time, I think you understand that! :) I will add that in the tournament you will have more than one very strong hand and lose... Without this, it is impossible...

You need to study in detail how you played, because it is very important how you acted on the preflop and how you played the flop.I think you made mistakes, because when you have a very strong hand, you need to go into the hand correctly, eliminating bad players and not revealing the strength of your hand. It is also very important what kind of opponents you had, because sometimes, the strength of the hand does not make any sense if the fish is against you... unfortunately... :(

You speak very broadly and impossible tell you exactly what led to the loss, but your questions make sense, because luck in poker is very very important and when you lose a lot, you get bad thoughts and it bothers you even more, so a break for the day is necessary :) This is a great reboot to continue on. :)

ferocious

ferocious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you tilt then you should stop playing ,but if you dont and you are a winning player continue playing

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This sort of a run will most probably cause a tilt, even though you will think you are calm, your decisions will inevitably become less optimal.

So, yes, taking a break is the only real solution. A couple of hours could be enough, but I usually take one day off, just to be sure the tilt has passed.

Wish you fewer runs like this, and take care.

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
this has happened to me many times! It is a very frustrating situation, I usually stop playing for the remainder of that day, before I was going to play at another poker room and it worked but little since let's say that my mood is bad and I did not play well, so I chose to stop playing for the remainder of the day

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys, yesterday i experienced the worse hours playing poker since i started
Lost KK three times, against QQ, AK and the other time against KQ (fu**ing joke)
Lost AA against A9
Lost BvB AJ against JQ
Lost JJ against 99
Lost AK twice x AK (flush) and against AQo
And lost QQ against AA (ok, its a cooler, more acceptable)
Oh, and AA against 78s, but i didnt count this because it was post flop, wasnt even all in, pretty scarry board, so just a run out
I had 3 bad beats in a row in a tournament that i was like 20/3000 em chips

My question is:

A lot of replies and I'm not gonna read them all to see if I'm repeating another poster, but I'd say - attempt to play more pots post flop. From your post it sounds like you are shoving often. I seem to do better when I'm retaining more control - not letting fate/luck have complete control of the hands. By playing post flop more often - you allow yourself to get away from OBVIOUS situations where you are nearly positive your premium one pair is not good. You win less of course because your opponents will be folding more often, but you will also become a better player. Shoving pre is not always terrible, but when you do - you leave it up to fate.