What to do with non-stop bad cards?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online, there are times where you will really get bad cards straight.

You cant do anything about it.

The best thing I believe is to maximize what is left on us which is to bluff.

We must have a share of the pot by at least bluffing in a one/two orbit rotation just to survive.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Another thing that I've been noticing since I started to have some success at not being so nitty, is that I really don't care if I get AA/KK or not and oftentimes I would just as soon not get them.

I know it sounds crazy to not care about getting premiums, but what often happens when you get a premium hand? You're probably going to put your entire stack in the middle at some point, compared to steadily accumulating small pots with non-premium hands and a lot less risk, hands that you can toss easily when somebody pushes back at you.

Maybe I'm off base here, but that's what I've been experiencing lately and I definitely did not expect this.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thing that I've been noticing since I started to have some success at not being so nitty, is that I really don't care if I get AA/KK or not and oftentimes I would just as soon not get them.

I know it sounds crazy to not care about getting premiums, but what often happens when you get a premium hand? You're probably going to put your entire stack in the middle at some point, compared to steadily accumulating small pots with non-premium hands and a lot less risk, hands that you can toss easily when somebody pushes back at you.

Maybe I'm off base here, but that's what I've been experiencing lately and I definitely did not expect this.

Yeah. Lately when I look down at AA or KK I think "ok here it is. I'm either gonna double up or go home. Hope this isn't my last hand"

I know AA is significantly better than KK but in the last 20 or so big tourneys I've played I've gone out with KK (usually all in preflop) about 8 times and gone out with AA twice. As opposed to slowly chipping up through blind stealing and situation reading you're kind of forced to get it in with premiums almost regardless of the situation. Since many tourneys maintain average stacks in tge 20-40 bb range for hours and hour good luck folding AA/KK preflop or even on the flop. Nope, you're probably getting your stack in on the flop or turn.

Lately I'm a really big fan of "no conflict" chips. I'd rather pick up a 7bb orphan pot with T8o than a 40bb pot with KK...

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the marks of a good player are demonstrated by what they can do with badcards, and how they play good cards.

The mark of a great player maybe to demonstrate talent with either...

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steal more in late position. 3bet light on the button. Protect your blinds with Stop N Go's. Respect strength & back off if you face resistance. Accept that only one player is going to win; that can mean 1,000 or more people are going to lose. You will have to gamble a little and get lucky.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
be calm, you need a lot of patience until you hit a good hand to play

V

VYtautasLu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stick around, don't start playing any to cards! Just wait for it, look at your table, make notes and be patient. ;)

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with a bad hand to play non-stop is very risky all depends on the opponents and of your stack if you feel it is worth while play and have all depends on the situation

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Abuse the blind stealing. Seriously. Also, you can always bluff your opponents out of the hand if the situation is good.

Pooh

Pooh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's hard not to get frustrated sometimes though
i was just playing 2 freerolls and folded about 30/35 rag hands one after another got bored
shoved and lost

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The blinds will still be low after 44 minutes. Stay patient and wait for better pockets when you are in position.
If you get desperate and the blinds are passive, steal them with any two cards.

sck1monster

sck1monster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well, poker isn´t only about the cards, position, game postflop.

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you have to get yourself trained to play multi tables , it's the only way to beat the variance . And by multitabling i mean not less that 8 tables at a time .
Another thing is you have to be patient and wait the high cards , some times it's normal to have 5 Bigs and still fold bad ones , just stick to high cards and you will double fast.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just let it pass !!things will improve soon maybe the next hand !

walkkking

walkkking

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to bluffing and waiting for good cards. with bad cards you cant win always. So if you play cash game, you need to take break.. but if you play tournament you need to bluffing .

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just raise when most players fold to you and if the players after you call wait the flop depending on your position raise or wait for the players to check then raise, but raise somewhat big, you won't always miss and they won't always have it.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depends on the players at your table but probably keep on mucking them and hope you can use your table image later...

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I remember tournament where I got a final table, and than I had 30 bad hands in a row. 25 57 28 39 .... That was so strange. And I lost fast because of blinds. Went all in with 55 . And lost against K2..... But I guess ,that you need to play with bad hands to,because of blinds....

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first hour of the tournament u should play aggressive and tight. Do not limp and do not play weak hands.

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steal more in late position. 3bet light on the button. Protect your blinds with Stop N Go's. Respect strength & back off if you face resistance. Accept that only one player is going to win; that can mean 1,000 or more people are going to lose. You will have to gamble a little and get lucky.
Mostly this!

Look at spots to preserve your stacks
And punish the weak players with aggression deep in tournaments.

Gl

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to understand that the current dispersion and will not become easier, tighten the game with a short stack, such is my strategy

D

Dimmarik411

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the players at the table. Sometimes with a weak hand, the chances of winning are greater than if there were always AA

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep waiting for better cards ... or as someone before me said, sometimes you steal a pot, bluff, or just go in with one hand with bad cards to break a scammer :D:D:D

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
the main thing is patience, wait, you can bluff it, but it depends on the position and the players

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem is the blind and ante will eat your chips especially playing on torbo or hyper speed... maybe the position will help a little, play aggressive from late position especially in the button because there is a lot of miracle from this position....