What to consider when reaching a shortstack final table?

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What to consider when reaching a shortstack final table? Waiting for better hands for a fold or taking advantage of spots that our opponents fold to our stacks

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Being a short stack you are that easy prey that everyone wants to attack at the table, I generally try to wait for strong hands, but you also have to be aware that you will have to take risks with hands that are not so strong, it is very few times the other players will leave you blind, or have mercy on you

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Opponents with short stacks begin to play too tight, trying to survive to the prizes. Against this background, players with high stacks are activated, especially in the fight against opponents who can not noticeably ruin their stack. These conditions must be taken into account and, assessing the size of your stack and opponents, you should choose the tactics of the game that will be optimal for you.

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The fact that you will be opened wide if it is a knock tournament and you just need to wait for the hand

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, mix of Patience and Intuition will the best allies! But this is only my private opinion...

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play tight - just wait for a hand - wait that for someone the influence of prizes is not so important and stupidly try to sit out raising prizes

c.heck

c.heck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
NO
Chips
When shortstacked you have to choose between be blindet out or try to double your stack.
I will go allin preflop. All cards can hit something.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What to consider when reaching a shortstack final table? Waiting for better hands for a fold or taking advantage of spots that our opponents fold to our stacks
I think in such situations one should be patient and if possible wait for at least a more or less promising hand. That is, I mean that the basis for action should be the strength of your hand in the first place.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to understand the payouts to see when the risk is worth the reward.

The other thing you want to do- is to imagine you are the other players and how they view payouts, so you know who to go after and who to avoid.

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I waiting for good hand and pay jump

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If you are the shortest at the final table, it's clear that you will be eliminated soon so you need to have middle hands and play aggressively with them and you will be able to steal chips from your opponents because rarely anyone will risk going against you at the final table and there will be many folds and you will rise higher and higher, and if you sit and wait for a card, even with such a strong card you can just crash at any time

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What to consider when reaching a shortstack final table?
That you will have to move smartly, otherwise the blainds will pass and your fold equity will get worse and worse, and the villains with more chips, if they have the skill, will devour you at the table.

PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
I guess depend in what structure and bounty. Hyper-turbo and bounty, generally they called light and jam wide. Slower structure, you need little patience and it's good to go in first than calling for your tournament life.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
What to consider when reaching a shortstack final table? Waiting for better hands for a fold or taking advantage of spots that our opponents fold to our stack?
Mostly consider possible payjump or squezing spot, and take your time , be patient.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I like to shove with a pair, the better it is the better my odds to double up, because at least I know I have something at showdown... I might get called by ace or king hands at might get away with it.

aquilex2799

aquilex2799

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi Almir.

If it's a big tournament, that means the prize pools make big jumps between one position and another. So it makes sense to wait for premium hands and hope to double up the stack while waiting for the other players to lose the tournament and you move up the prize.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I try to hold until I get a premium hand. But sometimes they don't come your way and you are going to get blinded out. Then it is time to go all in pre flop and leave it all up to mother variance!

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
When entering the final table with a short stack, there are several factors to consider:
1. Your stack size: This determines your play and the opportunities for you and your opponents. A short stack means that you have a limited choice of moves.
2. Position at the table: By playing from different positions, you can make more informed decisions based on the actions of other players.
3. Waiting for the best hands to fold: You need to be more selective when choosing hands to play, as you need to keep your stack. Focus on strong hands and avoid empty bluffs.
4. Taking advantage of situations our opponents have folded into our stacks: These situations can provide you with the opportunity to use position and aggressive play to keep or increase your stack. You must be prepared to analyze your opponents' play, read their reactions, and use that information to your advantage.
In general, when you are short stacked, it is important to be prudent, choose the right moments to act, and use your options to the best of your ability to increase your chances of success.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It is desirable to play very closely at the final table with a short stack. There are always good prizes, if you're lucky, you can sit down with several players and take a higher place.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
1 or 2 good double-ups can change your short-stack predicament. the fact that you've reached the final table means you have a grasp of some level of patience. Continue to be patient and look for spots where you can get it all in for maximum value.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wait for good hands and go all in or raise in position, I don't try aggressive plays if my stack is significantly smaller compared to the other players.